• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is the point system broken? [Jive is gone, there are no points]

People's Champ ,
Aug 04, 2013 Aug 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always been slightly amused by the point system and the little crosses since I came back to the forums after a few years away.

I imagine that knowing that someone has answered a lot of questions that have been marked as Correct or Helpful could be a handy indicator to someone new to the forums. Like Bill Hunt for example. It isn't the points as much as the percentage of points as a ratio to the number of posts. It indicates that people have often marked his answers as useful.

Well, the other day I noticed that I had reached 996 points and I was about to get a third marker. Try as I might to be nonchalant about it, since the points are not all that important, it still kind of threw me off when I got stalled at 996. I have had two correct answers lately and yet my points no longer increment.

So, is the system broken? Are my points being held up for review for some reason? Or, is there some other reason? I guess I am just curious about it. I keep telling myself it doesn't matter. Yet, what can I say? Pride is just one of those vices that is hard to shake. Throw a little vanity in there and ....

artofzootography.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you may be responding to newcomers who never find their way back... It happens to me all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not in this case. That happens a lot, and it is fine. But in this case I noticed I got a couple marked as "Correct" and the points didn't change. If I had not accidentaly rested my mouse over my avatar while changing it., I would never have noticed that I was at 996. Ithought I would be getting a third marker in a day or so, as that is the averege for me - a few points ever couple of days. But is didn't happen. No sweat, I thought. Then I spotted the "Correct" and thought "That ought to push me over." and it didn't.

As I said. Just curious.

When I go to the trouble of a tutorial that solves someone's problem, I kind of figure that marking it correct will cause someone else to watch the tutorial to solve the same, or similar problem. So it is kind of cool. It isn't like the points can be spent for Adobe T-Shirts or anything, I just have to wonder what's up?

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you marking your own as correct/helpful? If so, I don't think that gives you any points. Not sure what else might be affecting it. Points awarding is built into Jive and automatic, I don't think we have any way to "hold back" points, delay them, or anything like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did once to see what would happen. Nothing did, not that I was particularly surprised. But I know for a fact that I have been stuck on 996 for longer than I should have been.

One of the recent "Correct" markings was this one: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1268566?tstart=0

I'm not going to fret about it. It just seems odd to me.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven,

The point system is definitely broken in your case:

Correct Answer = 10 points,

Helpful Answer = 5 points,

so there is no unbroken way to reach 996 points.

I have been a bit amused by the Answers + Points = Status list, which shows a rather obvious contradiction between the possible points and the + list. Seeing your plight I am less amused.

I believe it is quite possible that you are stuck at 996 because of your reaching an incompatible number caused by an impossible 1 being added.

I believe this is the only/first case throughout the forums.

The question is whether there is any way to get unstuck.

What say you, John?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Voting on an "Idea" gives 1 point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thank you for that added knowledge, John.

I might be fun to vote on just one Idea just to get that off number.

Or maybe not. It might lead to endless questions and comments, when all the others (still) without a clue spot it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, John C., I had not thought about that.

Thank you,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven,

I agree with others - there should be no way to reach 996 - 990, 995, 1000 are all possible, but not 996.

Also, there are at least two "regulars," who have answered a lot of questions correctly, and have more points, than posts (considering 5 pts. for Helpful, and 10 pts. for Correct, that is certainly possible, but really tough to do).

I will watch your Profile, but other than mere observation, do not know what can be done. It is almost like having a situation where a number is divided by 0 - on most computers, that will yield an error, hang or crash. Hope that you do not "crash."

BTW - thank you for all the help that you provide to the Forums. That needs to be said!

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven,

I just checked, and you are now at 1001. How you got to 1001 is still a mystery, but we may never know the answer to that puzzle.

Good luck, and your Profile is starting to look like an old graveyard, with all those "tombstones... "

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven,

An additional development. I just checked your profile, and it now sits at 991. Not sure what happened there? Maybe John C. will have an idea.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it will start to count backwards?

Edit: Yes, that's it. I got one "Correct" today. Ten points subtracted. Makes sense. I wonder if I can get it to go below zero? It could take a while to find out though.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You currently have 991 points (it was 996 yesterday).  I will mark your last post as "correct" and see what happens...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't appear to change anything.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven, Pat,

It was 996, then 1001 yesterday, so it has gone down by 10 as a consequence the Correct Answer post elsewhere.

And as far as I know, the OP gets nothing for a Correct Answer, whoever marks the post.

Steven, to follow up on posts # 8 - 10, have you ever voted on 1, 6, 11, etc Idea(s)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...have you ever voted on 1, 6, 11, etc Idea(s)?

I am not shy. If someone asks for my opinion, I am going to offer one if I have one.

So, while I don't remember voting on anything lately, I am certain I must have at some point in time.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven,

Appears to still be 991 and holding - down 5 from when you originally posted, and down 10, from the high of 1001, that I observed.

A real puzzle, at least for me. Maybe why I cannot hit the 40K pts. point? I know of at least three others, who are well over that mark.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven,

I am not shy.

I never even see any Ideas, because I have bookmarked the Discussion pages (with 100 threads on every page) and never go anywhere else. I only have a vague memory about the concept being mentioned some years back.

It is only in this thread that I have seen anyone with such point numbers; I will start looking elsewhere, too.

About the ratio of points to posts, I believe it is very much a matter of just posting hard answers or including soft talk and other more general contributions.

A few of us have had a long standing joke about points as punishment (and that has led to the unabbreviation MVP = Most Vehemently Punished), and I have made jokes about getting negative points for silly posts, but this is getting serious.

What say you, John, can something be done about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

I have made jokes about getting negative points for silly posts...

If that WERE the case, I would be at about - 50,000 points by now.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven,

Just now, you have 1056 pts., but who knows how long that will stay? Maybe there was some sort of a "threshold," that had to be overcome?

Hope that I have not jinxed you in any way.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill Hunt wrote:

Just now, you have 1056 pts

I see only 991 points, and two plusses ++

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener wrote:

Bill Hunt wrote:

Just now, you have 1056 pts

I see only 991 points, and two plusses ++

Right now, I see 1011 points, in Firefox/Mac and Explorer/Win.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat,

As of 7:23PM, PDT, it has fallen to 1036 pts. ?

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the dam broke and the points started to flow again. Cool.

No big deal though. I was almost looking forward to seeing them continue to go backwards!

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines