• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a cheaper way to learn/obtain the adobe suite?

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2011 Feb 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to learn how to use adobe design studio but $480 is still too expensive for this college student (also im currently looking for a on campus job)....  Is there a way of getting it any cheaper or il even take CS4 the previous version at a much cheaper price if they have it?  I do not want to pirate it because i think it steals all the hard work the developers have done.  Currently im working on a self project and graphics for the TV news club that im in.  They do have copies at the studio but it is locked when nobody is there so i can only try it out once a week, plus they are the older versions of the suite, and the computer lab at Webb only has about 4 avaliable macs that have the whole suite and every time i have a moment to go to the lab they are taken often....  If there is a better way to obtain the software please tell me! Right now im using gimp and my trial is about to expire.  If there is no other way i understand.

I currently go to eastern connecticut state university

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The education version, at about 80% off of retail, is the least expensive version

CS5 is what is current, so Adobe no longer sells CS4

BE VERY CAREFUL of buying from eBay... there are many fakes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I love easy questions. Most likely your school has a computer lab and possibly an art or media department may have their own lab.

A quick search of your schools website reveals: The computer lab has the CS 4 Suite (not sure what version) http://nutmeg.easternct.edu/its/facilities/webb-410/Software.htm. There appears to be a Macintosh Graphics Arts Lab in Shafer Hall 201. Just ask around your college, I bet there are quite a few places where there is software you can use.  http://kb.easternct.edu/al/12/1/article.aspx?aid=1031&bt=4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2011 Feb 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download the trial versions of Adobe products and that will give you 30 days of free learning tools.  After 30 days, you can uninstall the product(s), clear the registry entries and then install again to get another 30 days free of charge.  You can continue doing this as long as you need to until you can afford to buy your own product.

I know a professional DW designer who never buys any products;  All he uses is trial versions which he keeps installing when he needs to do some work.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2011 Feb 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DWILCOX01,

That is what you may have been told, but it does not work. Adobe's licensing system is designed to prevent that. In fact there are many complaints about people who have installed the trial and uninstalled it due to problems and complain how the re-install won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2011 Feb 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what you may have been told, but it does not work. Adobe's licensing system is designed to prevent that. In fact there are many complaints about people who have installed the trial and uninstalled it due to problems and complain how the re-install won't work.

People complain about almost everything in this world because the level of their knowledge is not up to scratch.  After uninstalling, you need to clear the registry entries (in a Windows system)  and this will allow you to install again.  However, this is an adobe forum so I do not want to discuss this matter anymore here.

Regards and good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2011 Feb 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't wait for others to follow your instructions, and then show up with issues later.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2011 Feb 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, that works fine, if one will either perform a complete, low-level format, or replace their system HDD, between each of the trial installs. Not worth it, for most people. Adobe goes to measures to insure that people do NOT use one trial, after another. I cannot go into more detail, other than to say that the efforts require a heck of a lot of work, and it would most likely be easier to just buy a new computer, for each trial.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 23, 2011 Feb 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what about the undocumented writes to unused sectors on the hard drive. pretty hard to reset those with a regedit...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2011 Feb 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Da-a-a-ve,

Now you're giving away my 'secrets... "

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2011 Feb 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys thanks for all the comments but the info is minimal...  I got a couple of answers to use some of the labs but the ones in webb hall are always taken and the mac lab might be open to stundents sometimes but it has crazy hours like its only open from 12-1pm for students and another time at night, though its a nice thought, i just wish the school would make adobe more accesable.  I just need a cheaper easier way to obtain the suite.  $440 for the student edition is still too expensive for me, for someone with a job and out of college that price would be fine but its really tight for a student.  Im really having a hard time finding a job because seniors have priority...  Also most of positions are already filled up.  If there really is no better and legal alternative to obtain a copy, il just have to stay with gimp untill i get hired or obtain $500 big ones...  heck i even applied to their sweepstakes because i wanted a legit version so bad.  But i got 5 days till my trial runs out and i have barely learned anything, i better make the most out of it.

Though everyone i really appreciate the adivce and help you give me. It helped a bit or gave me an idea on what i had to do so thanks a bunch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2011 Feb 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>the info is minimal

We can't make up information that does not exist

At 60-to-80% off retail (depending on where you buy... ie the individual agreement the store has with Adobe) the Education version is the absolute lowest price way to buy Adobe products

My University has a direct agreement with Adobe, and uses a store that handles the actual sale to individuals, so the price I paid was, in fact, 20% of retail

If your University does not have a direct agreement with Adobe, you will need to use one of the "general" Education stores and the price is "somewhat" higher than what I paid

You do, of course, still need to prove your status before you may buy

Also... ignore the false advice about using the trial version over and over... unless you want to format your hard drive and install everything again just to get a new 30 day trial period

http://www.studica.com/ or https://www.academicsuperstore.com/ both sell Education software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx for another response but im just going to wait till i get a job or get the $500 for the student edition.  Though that might be a few months or more sadly but for the mean time il just use something else i have been looking through google to see if there is any free alternatives around and i found a couple.  Though they are no were as close as the CS5 suite, they will help me for now. Thx for the tip, also when i ment minimal i just ment it kinda pointed me in the same direction but all well, people can't make false hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The use of freeware alternatives is a good one. If one is contemplating work with video, or images, most of the learning curve is regarding the concepts. Get those down, and then all you have to do is learn the GUI of the Adobe suites.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines