Highlighted

Jochem van Dieten must be relieved of his Hosting duties

Contributor ,
Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not saying anything about his skills as a coder, because they appear to be fairly prodigious. That's not the issue. But I feel very strongly that his social reasoning as it pertains to hosting duties does not fit the nature of these forums.


Please don't sling mud, because that would give him a reason to lock or otherwise make this thread inaccessible. As it stands, this thread stands as a gathering of opinion; for him to shut it down simply for that would be evidence of tyrannical behavior—exactly the sort of thing we wish to not see here.

Simply reply here with a "Yes" or a "I Agree."

Views

7.6K

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Jochem van Dieten must be relieved of his Hosting duties

Contributor ,
Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not saying anything about his skills as a coder, because they appear to be fairly prodigious. That's not the issue. But I feel very strongly that his social reasoning as it pertains to hosting duties does not fit the nature of these forums.


Please don't sling mud, because that would give him a reason to lock or otherwise make this thread inaccessible. As it stands, this thread stands as a gathering of opinion; for him to shut it down simply for that would be evidence of tyrannical behavior—exactly the sort of thing we wish to not see here.

Simply reply here with a "Yes" or a "I Agree."

Views

7.6K

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 17, 2009 0
Mentor ,
Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree. This forum is much more fun now. The sense of community is back. And built around the negative, as any community should be. We're united in keeping Jochem out!

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Aug 17, 2009 0
Advisor ,
Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you folks dont see are the PMs some of us hosts receive thanking us and specifically  Jochem for finally cleaning up the rude behavior around here.  The silent majority  generally finds the behavior of the some of the "regulars" to be rude and arrogant.   The feeling is; finally people are starting to not be afraid to post questions without a "regular" biting their head off and explaining to them "Thats not how we used to do it", or "dont ask questions unless its a really hard question".    .  Its time to embrace everyone, even people with [Shock] basic questions.

No; I cant post examples of the PMs; cause all these folks want to remain anonymous so they are not attacked by the "regulars".

You can choose to moan about the sw.  You can choose to moan about how it used to be.  Or you can use the system (like the vast majority of people) and be helpful.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Aug 17, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vapour. 

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Aug 17, 2009 0
Mentor ,
Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm... Curt. Uh, I can't answer anything but the most basic questions about Photoshop.

Maybe you are missing something: Phos doesn't post anymore. JJ has the most points earned in his fora (save Ramón, who we know we're all talking about anyway). Quit complaining about the complainers and go help somebody.

"Vapour" seems a little kind.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Aug 17, 2009 0
Mentor ,
Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlike most of you. I get to see the deleted post within the email announcements, even if the threads has been yanked.

Many of the text in the announcements should be banned. On the other hand though there are many that are attributed to a "Very Thin Skin", or a personal dislike for the person posting. Some don't even mention JVD's name.

Curt You need to get SeaMonkey if only for a little while then have the email announcements set. Might open your eyes.

I know a little bit about being  a Host. Because I am one of several on The Intuit-Quicken newsgroup on Yahoo.

If a post has some stuff that shouldn't be posted, I simply edit it out and there is a tag line added that edit by moderator. If its spam its sent to spam bin. But most post  even if its a strong diatribe against Quicken, I let slide. And I've noticed the other moderators do about the same as I do.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Aug 17, 2009 0
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you folks dont see are the PMs some of us hosts receive thanking
us and specifically  Jochem for finally cleaning up the rude behavior
around here.



Rude behaviour like Claudio's thread about the Spanish forum (locked with a rude remark from JVD)? Rude behaviour like posting a "Happy Camper" thread (locked by JVD with a brusque comment)? I mention these as two threads that JVD locked for no (IMO) good reason. Any response to those two specific instances of JVD's (IMO) highly inappropriate actions?

Really, got any response? Or are you here (still) just to lecture and be (IMO) arrogant and rude?

No; I can't post examples of the PMs; cause all these folks want to remain anonymous so they are not attacked by the "regulars".

No need to post the identities of the people doing the messaging, I would think; why not instead, if you wish to be credible,why not post the text (or extracts) of the messages?

And still no response, I see, to my two (I could find more, as I am sure others could) specific examples of JVD's highly innappropriate abuse of his moderator's powers. I await in polite anticipation. (At least until I plonk you.)

Berating people for being rude and telling them to get to work helping out (as you and the most sapient Mr. Powers have done) seems rather ill-advised to me: no one is being paid by Adobe corporation to come here and help out here, and to expect that they shall do so after your insults and arrogance seems rather fatuous.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Aug 17, 2009 0
Advisor ,
Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J Maloney wrote:

Umm... Curt. Uh, I can't answer anything but the most basic questions about Photoshop.

Maybe you are missing something: Phos doesn't post anymore. JJ has the most points earned in his fora (save Ramón, who we know we're all talking about anyway). Quit complaining about the complainers and go help somebody.

"Vapour" seems a little kind.

Perhaps this is why users are now saying they feel they are finally able to post a question without being belittled.   Its was sad state of afairs that a product forum had developed a culture to the point where new users were afraid to post questions.  I see that slowly changing for the better.  Which is good.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Aug 17, 2009 0
Advisor ,
Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kami Bambiraptor wrote:

What you folks dont see are the PMs some of us hosts receive thanking
us and specifically  Jochem for finally cleaning up the rude behavior
around here.

Rude behaviour like Claudio's thread about the Spanish forum (locked with a rude remark from JVD)? Rude behaviour like posting a "Happy Camper" thread (locked by JVD with a brusque comment)? I mention these as two threads that JVD locked for no (IMO) good reason. Any response to those two specific instances of JVD's (IMO) highly inappropriate actions?

Really, got any response? Or are you here (still) just to lecture and be (IMO) arrogant and rude?

Yes.  The majority of the rude behavior many users complain about is in a couple specific product forums, not here.

No; I can't post examples of the PMs; cause all these folks want to remain anonymous so they are not attacked by the "regulars".

No need to post the identities of the people doing the messaging, I would think; why not instead, if you wish to be credible,why not post the text (or extracts) of the messages?

I have.  My post was sumary of what most of the user messages convey.

And still no response, I see, to my two (I could find more, as I am sure others could) specific examples of JVD's highly innappropriate abuse of his moderator's powers. I await in polite anticipation. (At least until I plonk you.)

Sry, I didnt respond fast enough for you.  I have a few other things to do that to hit refresh on the forums.  Just read the forum guidelines.  They very clearly explain why posts are moderated,

Berating people for being rude and telling them to get to work helping out (as you and the most sapient Mr. Powers have done) seems rather ill-advised to me: no one is being paid by Adobe corporation to come here and help out here, and to expect that they shall do so after your insults and arrogance seems rather fatuous.

You are under no obligation to help out.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Aug 17, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post (#11) by wrigley seems to be one long quote in this rubbish jive forum software.


I can't make out if he's answering anything. Not that his answers carry any weight with me.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Aug 17, 2009 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad to see active moderation in this forum -- it should make the forum more useful for communicating with Adobe and each other.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Aug 25, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnrellis wrote:

I'm glad to see active moderation in this forum -- it should make the forum more useful for communicating with Adobe and each other.

If done in moderation, yes.  But this particular moderator randomly and wistfully deletes posts, but lets replies to the deleted posts remain, making the replying poster looking most stupid.  How can you effectively communicate when posts are randomly removed?

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Aug 25, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnrellis wrote:

I'm glad to see active moderation in this forum -- it should make the forum more useful for communicating with Adobe and each other.

Moderation is all very well, but I think the moderator should be as the shepherd is with his flock rather than like the butcher in the abbatoir.

(And, if this deleted, it can only be because the cap fits.)

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Sep 01, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Jay, this is the designated Van Delete'm complaint thread.  Please abstain from creating new Van Delete'm "Mad Locker" etc. threads outside of this designated "free speech" zone. 

Obey the forum thought police.  Violators will be locked, deleted and banned.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Sep 01, 2009 0
Engaged ,
Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, posts and threads are being deleted at a frantic rate! Incredible!!! 

Saving some though for later posting... Can't get over it... <sad shake of head >

PS: Just deleted one post here and several threads in he forum

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Sep 01, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You two in a duel or something?  The forum is going nuts. 

Obey the forum thought police.  Violators will be locked, deleted and banned.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Sep 01, 2009 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Aug 17, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phos±four dots wrote:

I'm not saying anything about his skills as a coder, because they appear to be fairly prodigious. That's not the issue. But I feel very strongly that his social reasoning as it pertains to hosting duties does not fit the nature of these forums.

An interesting choice of words, 'social reasoning'. Is that what it is called nowadays when you post profanity, I remove it, and you repost it again, and again, and again? Is that social reasoning?

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Aug 17, 2009 0
Engaged ,
Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phos±four dots wrote:

I'm not saying anything about his skills as a coder, because they appear to be fairly prodigious. That's not the issue. But I feel very strongly that his social reasoning as it pertains to hosting duties does not fit the nature of these forums.


<snipped>

Simply reply here with a "Yes" or a "I Agree."

I agree...

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Aug 17, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree

And PJ, removal of the portion of a post that is offensive (or whatever) is definitely a better form of moderation and I agree it should be used more.  With a deleted post someone may forget they even wrote it, and without a visible [removed due to X reason] they'll never learn what they did wrong, so they'll keep on posting the same way...

Just might get a little tiresome for the mods, IMO.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Aug 17, 2009 0