• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Legal to install Adobe Design Suite on my friends PC?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2009 Oct 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to ask if it was legal to install Adobe Design Suite on my friends PC? I have the student edition of Adobe Design Suite CS4 and im not sure how many times i am allowed to install it for myself let alone for another person. She is also a valid student and holds a student card. Obviously i didn't pay a lot of money for it to run out of licence uses so i don't want to go over my own amount if i do a reboot for instance. The Microsoft office student edition only has 3 licence uses as an example.

Any replies are already well thanked.

James

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Oct 04, 2009 Oct 04, 2009

You should be able to *deactivate* the product BEFORE you reformat your hard drive.  After the reformat, reinstall of the OS etc, you should be able to reinstall the Suite and *reactivate* it.

My understanding is that for CS3, there are a maximum number of activate/deactivate cycles (which, for the record I feel is ENTIRELY INAPPROPRIATE, given that we have paid for the software).

Also, if there is a significant change in the hardware configuration, you might not be able to reactivate without a ca

Votes

Translate

Translate
Oct 04, 2009 Oct 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I agree with you. I am in the same boat with not knowing how many I have remaining. Updating motherboards, hard drives, videocards and such I just never kept count.

I did not install CS4 back on my main machine. I replaced a motherboard that was dying and found out it took my hard drive with it. I was lucky to get the board to post and deactivated CS4. Otherwise I would be calling in.

So here sits my main rig. I am waiting on windows 7 to arrive at my door step this month. I did not want to deactivate and reactivate CS4. My backup machine works fine with PS CS4 thank goodness. I can understand why we have to deactivate and reactivate and that is just part of life. But like you said we paid for the software and there should not be a cycle limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2009 Oct 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dec9 wrote:

The 20 activate/deactivate cycle is just plain wrong. What in the world are the shirts thinking?

I have difficulties following that reasoning - how many times does one install the same software on the same computer (or a replacement, if the original one fails) ?

Ok, hardware can fail, so a 2nd installation is quite reasonable.  Ok, hardware can fail again, so a 3rd install still seems reasonable.

But then, are we talking about a software release one is going to use for a lifetime?  Especially if it comes to student versions; most people don't stay students for the rest of their lives...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at it as a cycle point of view (activate/deactivate). Not as 20 of each.

If you do the following by seperate replacement or upgrade: Update processor, new hard drive, new motherboard, new video card and reinstall windows that is 10 cycles used up right there. Then if you have a laptop or another compter....... it adds up pretty quick.

pwillener wrote:

dec9 wrote:

The 20 activate/deactivate cycle is just plain wrong. What in the world are the shirts thinking?

I have difficulties following that reasoning - how many times does one install the same software on the same computer (or a replacement, if the original one fails) ?

Ok, hardware can fail, so a 2nd installation is quite reasonable.  Ok, hardware can fail again, so a 3rd install still seems reasonable.

But then, are we talking about a software release one is going to use for a lifetime?  Especially if it comes to student versions; most people don't stay students for the rest of their lives...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your'e wrong. It doesn't work that way.

Only the activations are counted towards the 20 you're allowed before it has to be reset (or manually extended).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines