Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Little things annoy me

Guru ,
Mar 20, 2009 Mar 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

b Points

I don't like is this concept of "points". I really don't like the competitive energy of those points. I've been to non-business forums where people award each other "karma." It's stupid and can be petty when someone has more karma than others.

I have no idea who gives points to others, but I don't like them.

I wouldn't mind a record of when joined or how many posts, but I think that belongs in a profile, not next to the responses.

b Answering posts

Who marks a message as answered? As mentioned before, the OP could state the post is answered, but others could find a problem.

Will there be a way for the Forum Moderator to amend an answered post as "With Note"?

b Sorting the messages

Will there be a way to sort according to the OP? If not, it seems a waste of a column.

I'm sure I will have other issues that I'll add later.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 110 Replies 110
Participant ,
Mar 21, 2009 Mar 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will only get the "most accurate answer possible" if the people who are capable of providing those answers can stomach a visit to the ghastly New Forums where all efficiency and functionality has been submerged, and destroyed, under an avalanche of meaningless juvenile junk.

The very things that you consider to be merely "nit-piking stuff " (such as avatars and points), make the New Forums slow, tortuous, unproductive time-wasters for many of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the other hand, many people believe that an updated forum such as the one proposed will attract many more people ergo provide a better service to the community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>many people believe that an updated forum such as the one proposed will attract many more people >

But only those that share your mind-set and background, and not necessarily the ones who use Adobe's more expensive and sophisticated applications; nor the International customers whose culture is widely different from yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt... you don't post in the forums Ann reads, so she has no idea who you are or the hours you've put in providing advice, or the programs you use

Since you therefore don't use the same "expensive and sophisticated applications" you clearly don't have an opinion that counts... at least not to Ann

Of course, her opinion might not count for much in the Premiere forum

The forum change IS going to happen... we will all see then if the number of posts drops off or stays the same, or increases over time

Until then, we can provide comments about what IS, or continue to talk about what some would wish to happen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am merely pointing out to Curt that his framework and viewpoint seem remarkably blinkered if he believes that a rather tacky unsophisticated Web Site is indicative of current levels of taste and sophistication as demonstrated in the excellent examples of fine Design that can be experienced all around the Globe.

Perhaps a little travel and mind-expansion would help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave,
>will the new forum allow sigs?

My understanding is that the answer to your question, mercifully, is a resounding no .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As one who has zero interest in film, video, or video related software, I can understand why there is such a gulf separating Curt from my world and vice versa. It's perfectly normal and not a big deal at all. Each one advocates for his or her own cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 22, 2009 Mar 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, its not necessary to defend me. Everyone can read.

Ann; FYI Ive been to many countries, traveled extensively and lived in different cultures. Most places I find people who are friendly and treat one another with respect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 23, 2009 Mar 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Ann Shelbourne Your rhetoric is becoming increasingly asinine and disrespectable of people. Can you imagine being on the receiving end of your vitriol if YOU worked for Adobe ? Are you incapable of discussing in a coherent adult context ?

You show a total lack of understanding in most of what you comment on. If you don't have anything important to say; please STFU already !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 25, 2009 Mar 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PjonesCET I totally agree with your assessment of the "answered" switch. It's the end user whom decides which post or the first post that answered his/her question FOR THEM.

That's the entire point so new users whom possibly have never been to the forum prior to having a problem; can tell whom/which posters generally tend to be the most helpful to end users.

It only seems to be the long time users here whom are up in arms about this entire affair. I'm not surprised. I am surprised at some of these people being so Luddite in their views ! It just seems that people are being very petty.

For the record I like everything about the new forums; I like the fact that a post can be marked answered by the individual it matters the most to; and the fact that frequent posters will be held accountable (in a small way) for the quality of the answers given. OF course it won't abolish the entire threads taken over by the regs joshing back and forth with each other, but every little bit helps.

Is it perfect ? Probably not. Will it be ? Of course not. Is it an improvement ? Absolutely ! Anything is an improvement over the early 90's technology and design the old forum had.

I hope Adobe is aware that the silent majority is most likely behind the change. It's just the vocal minority here spouting off.

Apologies if I offended anyone -- But that's the way I see it, and I've been on these forums for quite some time (maybe not always an active poster, but always lurking (gawd I hate that word).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SDA,
I think most people, like myself, started out lurking in a forum to get the feel of the atmosphere before stepping in. Why contribute when the same answer has been provided several times by different people? If I have something constructive to write then I will write it. Forum lurking for me is just part of the research on something I need to know. Then, if I feel I can help someone, I will toss my 2 cents worth in (then wait for the shotgun blast..... lol J/K).

Least these forums are not controlled by a moderator using a whip soaked in valium to keep the unruly in check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> It's the end user whom decides which post or the first post that answered his/her question FOR THEM.

It has been pointed out several times that the answer may be wrong!

(Or only part of the story.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so not only one person may be misled, but because it's marked "answered" and pointing at that "wrong" or "incomplete" answer, countless others may also be misled.

is that a good thing? i don't think so. are attention spans so short that you can't read and find out? you need to have a neon sign that says "here's the answer!!!" even if that neon points to a pile of... pudu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF it fixed the problem for that user, how is the answer wrong?!!

Not ever answer works for each person. If you are genius, and know the perfect 10 page answer; and you see another answer That is maybe 5 lines long; you jump up and down no it wrong, no it Wrong!

But if that 5 line long answer actually fixes the answer for that user; why is it Wrong?? IT fixed the users problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John Joslin; If it's wrong, then one whom asked the question will surely report that, after trying it out, as will others. I don't really see the problem; the same format has been used on far more technical forums, (non-Adobe) that I've been privledged to be part of without issues.

Most people will probably not mark messages; Just like most don't read FAQs. ;-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>IF it fixed the problem for that user, how is the answer wrong?!!

c'mon pjones! you can't be that dense! it's been explained over and over. there might be 10 ways to do something. the 1st way given might work but be horribly inefficient, or have undesirable consequences (like doing a destructive edit when a non-destructive way exists). if that answer is marked right, well, it is, but the other 9 answers that are better than the first one posted might be skipped over.

the thing is an answer is not always black or white. right or wrong. there are very distinct shades. and some are MORE right than others. just because the 1st one given is marked as "THE answer" doesn't make it so, and that's what's so misleading and inappropriate about the "mark correct answer" system.

is that really so difficult to understand?

> If it's wrong, then one whom asked the question will surely report that

sda, see above. it may not be "wrong". it just may not be best, or even in the top 5 best. that will lead others to pick up bad habits.

I probably wouldn't have so much of a problem with this if host could go in at the consensus of the community and change the "answer" to what would be "more" correct, given several options that "work" as a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>It only seems to be the long time users here whom are up in arms about this entire affair.

Not all of us. I personally don't like the new layout as much as this one but I can deal with it (as long as they find the option for us to enter threads at the last viewed posts. if not, screw it).

>c'mon pjones! you can't be that dense!

Well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind the elite are always going to be the elite <Sigh>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Never mind the elite are always going to be the elite <Sigh><br /><br />what the hell is elite in wanting to give the best answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I am not dense. I just think if is going to me an answered feature, That th e OP is the one judges what is right for his/her situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Never mind the elite are always going to be the elite <Sigh> <br /><br />did you even read my response to you? did it make any sense at all? seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>That th e OP is the one judges what is right for his/her situation.

again. if they go away and never come back and it works for them, great. but the next 100 people that go by "answered" are getting bad or incomplete info when better info is available. what's so hard to understand there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem I see with posts using "answered, or best answer" is that this is not how the posts currently work. The OP may have his question answered, but then another reader will have a similar issue, but not exactly the same, or the solution posted did not work for them because of their computer setup.

So now you have 2, 3, or 4 answers for the same question as the forum morphs slightly. If only one answer can be the "best answer" how can that possibly work?

What will happen is that you will get even more questions posted that are duplicates for the handful of regular responders to respond to. They will have to list the obvious "best answers" first and they wait to see "that did not work, read that already". This will lead to wasted time, responder burnout, and a loss of very knowledgeable people.

The "best answer" is to ditch the best answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>The "best answer" is to ditch the best answer.

right. or at the least give the hosts the ability to modify that field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that puts too much of the onus about making sure ALL answers marked "BING! THIS ONE'S DONE!!!" on the host.

I hate to say this, but sometimes, the host isn't the best-qualified person to make that determination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines