• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] Forum Speed

LEGEND ,
May 30, 2009 May 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious what kind of speed folks are getting with these new forums.  For my own experience, they're drastically slower than the older forums.

Using Firefox 3 and 3.5b4, I get page load times of around 20 seconds on average for a page to fully load.  IE8 is slower still.  This is on a 768 DSL connection.

Using the new Chrome browser, I get a more acceptable 2 second page load time on average.  (Which clearly shows there's nothing wrong with my connection.)

That is a VAST difference.  With other web sites, Chrome and Firefox display pages in very similar time frames.  It's only with these forums that Firefox is slowed to a crawl.  I wonder if any forum techies can chime in with theories as to why?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , May 31, 2009 May 31, 2009

Jim Simon wrote on 2009-05-31 11:20:

Using Firefox 3 and 3.5b4, I get page load times of around 20 seconds on average for a page to fully load. IE8 is slower still. This is on a 768 DSL connection.

Using the new Chrome browser, I get a more acceptable 2 second page load time on average.

I wonder if any forum techies can chime in with theories as to why?

Caching. As Adobe is improving the caching mechanisms for the content on

these forums subtle differences in the caching algorithms of browsers

be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Jun 04, 2009 Jun 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup and PGP was open before being bought by a commercial vendor; because

it was better than any commercial software existing for personal use at

the time. When it was bought; Zimmerman was influential in the development

of GNUgpg which is even better than PGP.

Donald Knuth wrote the best typesetting application ever 30 years ago;

made it open source and Adobe used some of it's typesetting algorithms

in InDesign. There are more examples of commercial vendors borrowing from

OSS than there is of OSS replacing commercial products.

Then there are the plethora of GNU apps/utilities that run on Linux and the

*BSDs, even Solaris. Don't forget that Linux, *BSDs and Darwin (BSD

derivative) are all OSS to. Some of which have REPLACED commercial OSes from

quite large vendors.

--

Best Regards,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been out of the loop for a few years but at a former job, but even Linux wasn't holding up to Solaris at the time in terms of performance OR stability.

Linux is as much a religion as it is an OS, and that's a concern.  Ouch--sorry, that's a little politically incorrect.  But it's true, some people don't want to hear anything negative about Linux or OSS because they have a personal agenda to "bring down Microsoft" or "fight monopolies" or whatever.  This is why I sometimes sound harsh towards OSS fanatacism.  I like OSS, but I don't drink the kool aid that sometimes comes with it.

Good luck with the political causes, but I'm going to use whatever I like the best. If it happens to be OSS, fine. If it's software maintained by people putting in 40 hour work weeks who have management on their backs telling them to get the latest fixes in so their customers don't get pissy, rather than a scattering of barely connected mystery developers working in their spare time (in their parent's basement [obnoxious smiley here, for email users], this is a joke btw) making fixes at their leisure, then oh well.

Commercial software is going to be around (probably as the majority) for a long, long time.  That said, I'd be perfectly happy (probably thrilled) if they replaced this Jive POS with open source forum software.  Sometimes commercial software (like some OSS) finds ways to stay afloat even when it's the most Jived up piece of rubbish ever made.. I can't explain that miracle. (or curse)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quite large vendors.

--

Best Regards,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no, not again!

Steve, maybe you should respond via the web...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the heck? Double post bug again? Is this forum really THIS Jived up? This is an outrage! Ah well, topic was derailed anyway. (tounge smiley here, for email users)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

quite large vendors.

--

Best Regards,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 31, 2009 May 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 seconds is the fastest ?  I guess that's bearable. With so few Ads on their pages I would expect it to be useable for most folks -- It usually is for me (I know typical AOL answer).

Do you have any funky software firewall or extensions loaded in Firefox ? Sometimes when behind a corporate firewall, public forums of any kind are subject to extensive filtering I/O. I've run into this at companies I work with. A lot of variables, I don't envy Adobe troubleshooting this aspect of the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, somedays like today I find the forums fine. It  takes a second or two to get a page to load. On some days, I just don't bother. It can take forever---just like the old forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Occasional slow-downs, just like the WebX forums, no better, no worse. Some stuff is slower because of the different system, like replying, because there's no ever-present reply-box. Also, not so many topics on a page can mean more clicking around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bottom line is that, all other things being equal, these new forums on a good day are a little slower than the WebX forums were on an average day.  On good days, the page loading time was practically immeasurable in the WebX forums, to the point I never even saw the progress bar in Firefox.  It was just like changing channels with the remote on a TV.

When WebX was having a bad day, they were much worse than the current forums.

To my astonishment, these Jive forums perform a little faster with all the Stylish scripts and AdblockPlus filters on than without them, saving about 1.5 to 2 seconds.

I'm still making liberal use of the Mark All As Read function here, which was never necessary in the old forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines