Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[locked] Which laptop should I buy?

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2011 Apr 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been learning CS5 web design and want to start designing but my health has meant that I need to use a laptop now (have to lay down because of back problems) instead of my desk top.

Can anyone suggest the best laptops for the job? I don't want to spend out lots for something that's not needed or not good for the job in hand.

Obviously I'd like to pay as little as possible but don't what 'cheap and useless' either, so will consider any.

Any advice is gratefully received and I'll follow up in my research for the perfect laptop for me.

By the way, I'm using a macbook to type this but my CS5 is for Windows (as is my desktop) so a laptop would have to be a Windows one please.

I look forward to hearing from you and getting on with researching laptops with your advice.

Thanks for reading.

Anna

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Apr 12, 2011 Apr 12, 2011

In  that case: look into models from Dell. If your heavy into graphics Only ones that will stand up reliably

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GalDriver wrote:

Hi,

I've been learning CS5 web design and want to start designing but my health has meant that I need to use a laptop now (have to lay down because of back problems) instead of my desk top.

Can anyone suggest the best laptops for the job? I don't want to spend out lots for something that's not needed or not good for the job in hand.

Obviously I'd like to pay as little as possible but don't what 'cheap and useless' either, so will consider any.

Any advice is gratefully received and I'll follow up in my research for the perfect laptop for me.

By the way, I'm using a macbook to type this but my CS5 is for Windows (as is my desktop) so a laptop would have to be a Windows one please.

I look forward to hearing from you and getting on with researching laptops with your advice.

Thanks for reading.

Anna

If getting a Mac:

The lightest would be the  MacBook Air in 11 & 13" models,  they would be the cheapest and also would be the Lightest. The 11 " is cheapest and lightest of the two. Might work the best in your situation.

Note: It doesn't come with a DVD Drive but Apple makes one for it that attaches to it. (Needed when installing applications from DVD's, although They have a system where you can crank up another computer that has DVD drive Mac or PC and it will install the Software on the Air. The host computer act like a slave Drive.)

If you don't mind the extra weight, get a MacBook Pro 13,15, or 17" version. Skip the MacBooks don't have enough horse power Also pop for the extra bucks to get one with dual video, its not that much more. Also make sure you get at least  4 GB of  System RAM. These new Applications take tons of Memory. If you can swing it it get 8.  most of the MacBook Pros come with a 500GB drives. to get a SATA Drive is $50.00.

You can get a SSD (Drive SolidState Drive but current model is on 320GB and right now. Many applications, including MS Office2011 are having major issues with SSD Drives. Among some are having to re activate the apps everytime you open an application, Crashes in PowerPoint , Word and Excel. They are supposed to have a service Pack out today.  Don't know whether these issues will fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the info, it'd have to be a Windows laptop as that's what my CS5 is for (on my desktop). I'm using a macbook at the mo, I do like it but the laptop for designing will have to Have Windows so thanks again.

Weight probably isn't much of an issue, it's just sitting upright's a problem for me. I'll keep researching to get the right one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In  that case: look into models from Dell. If your heavy into graphics Only ones that will stand up reliably

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Dell I've been looking at, thanks. I've got it down to about 3 possibles. Any preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I a Mac Person myself. But I have a Cousin who suffers Polio. She contracted as a Child and now that he is in her 60 has comeback somewhat.  So she has to stay in bed a lot as well. She uses a Dell Laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see I've posted in the Photoshop forum too and between the 2 of you I'm being steered towards either getting a Dell or a Macbook Pro and putting Windows on it. I like both ideas. This macbook that I'm using was only bought to see if we liked mac. We do and would be more than happy to have another one but we have mostly programmes for the Windows desktops.

I sympathise with your cousin with Polio having to stay in bed lots. I'm still there (at 17.13) just because it's more comfortable. I've got MS but I'm also collecting a chaise longue tomorrow so I can join the rest of my world in the lounge more often!

If you have any advice about Mac Pros and putting Windows on them to run my CS5 I'd be grateful too. These forums are so useful. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a common issue discussed in the Photoshop forum, so suggest

you post there. This forum is to discuss issues with forums.

Also, do a web search for Adobe Photoshop best laptop.  Should get a few hits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also posted in Photoshop forum

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/837188?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John, Curt Y suggested I post there too...so I did. Between the 2 I'm getting some really good advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It really isn't a good idea to have the same discussion in 2 places and force people to look in both places for the complete story. Since this is not the proper forum for this discussion I am picking this thread as the one to lock. Please continue in the corresponding thread in the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines