• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lost in the flood... back button off page 1 still not fixed.

May 15, 2009 May 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when browsing topics NOT on page one, the back button which SHOULD take you back to the forum list on the page where you last were (hence the name "back" button) STILL takes you back to page one, effectivly making it near impossible to read things scrolled off the front page and navigate to the next item.

jeez man, this is basic browser functionality!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a similar note, when clicking on the "home accordion" (the gray boxes on the main page to get into here or the design forum)..the same thing happens.

1) I open the General Forums>Forum Comments, Click back and I got back to the Product, Player, and Reader Forums tab. NOT the General Forums tab. Same happens in Design forums, etc.

2) This page also jumps like crazy when loading. Being as slow as this forum can be at times it's very easy to click on something accidently because it jump so bad when loading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

when browsing topics NOT on page one, the back button which SHOULD take you back to the forum list on the page where you last were (hence the name "back" button) STILL takes you back to page one, effectivly making it near impossible to read things scrolled off the front page and navigate to the next item.

I have seen other forums that are like this also.  Complaints over the years have done nothing to change this.  Not a programmer, so don't know why it is so hard to have back one page to go back one page rather than to page 1.  Only way to get around this is to open in new window or tab, but can not always remember this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

jeez man, this is basic browser functionality!

(So slow to get to this page...  anyway).

Dave, i haven't bothered looking at the html but i suspect – and i'm sure someone mentioned it somewhere – these forums use (inLine) frames. That being the case, you're never going to be able to use the browser back button to go back to the previous page.... you'll always end up on page 1. To navigate page by page you just have to use the page numbers or the Previous and Next buttons.

JJ II (Too)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you'll always end up on page 1

I was going to post up the problem about it always defaulting back to this when you change the number and then click back:

Items per page

But as I double checked this morning that seems to be fixed now and if you change to other than 30 Items per page it seems to be sticking now when clicking back.

So maybe a quick workaround the the 'back to page 1' issue would be to view 50 items per page. This being the case sometimes there may be more than 50 items that are new to view, maybe we can 'up' that number, if the back to pg1 thing can't be fixed (?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ozzwoman9 wrote:

This being the case sometimes there may be more than 50 items that are new to view, maybe we can 'up' that number, if the back to pg1 thing can't be fixed (?)

If you use the Page numbers or the Previous and Next buttons / tabs / links which are at both the top and bottom of the topic list, you'll have no problem. It's the browser back button that will always take you back to page one because the topic lists are inside a frame or iFrame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To navigate page by page you just have to use the page numbers or the Previous and Next buttons.

if i'm on page 5 click on a topic somewhere in the middle of the page, then hit back, i'm back somewhere in the middle of page 1.

it's dumb to think i have to hit "next" 4 times then to get back to page 5, scroll down and read the next topic on page 5... (all page #'s are not always shown, so clicking on a page # is not always an option).

this needs to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

it's dumb to think i have to hit "next" 4 times then to get back to page 5, scroll down and read the next topic on page 5... (all page #'s are not always shown, so clicking on a page # is not always an option).

this needs to be fixed.

OK... i see your problem... can't help you there Dave, 'cause i always open topics i'm interested in in a new tab.... i open several, read them one-by-one, answer if necessary – sometimes if it's been a while before i get to an already open topic, i reload the page to catch any new additions. As i go, i shut tabs and i'm back at the topic list, where i do a refresh by click on the breadcrumb.

It's probably also one of the reasons that the slowness is not crippling for me...as i'm going down the topic list opening topics in new tabs, the first few have already loaded. Where the slowness really hits is the original opening ad then hitting the Reply button and the Post... those take ages.

But Frames is the reason you can't go back to the previous page and always revert to Page one of the topics list. Short of redesigning the forum, i doubt that can be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote on 2009-05-15 15:53:

"Changing this behavior is on the roadmap and tentatively scheduled to

be addressed in 3.5."

http://www.jivesoftware.com/jivespace/message/200411#200411

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for pointing that out jochem! now the question is, will adobe be upgrading to that version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

thanks for pointing that out jochem! now the question is, will adobe be upgrading to that version?

For all the MONEY AND TIME wasted on endless "upgrades" and "customizations", they could revert back to WebX or a 3rd alternative, maybe even for less!  Think of all the savings gained by NOT upgrading this junk, that's funding free for entirely new software that works correctly, even login cookies!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ansury wrote:

dave milbut wrote:

For all the MONEY AND TIME wasted on endless "upgrades" and "customizations", they could revert back to WebX or a 3rd alternative, maybe even for less!  Think of all the savings gained by NOT upgrading this junk, that's funding free for entirely new software that works correctly, even login cookies!

you're not getting any argument out of me. but i suspect you'll have to wrestle some suits at adobe to get anywhere with that argument!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines