Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lounge topics deleted?

Dec 16, 2009 Dec 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i notice there are no topics in the lounge older than a week. has some archive setting

chaged? or are you just shutting the doors. i also note that many of my posts are missing

from my count. i had over 16000, now we're down to about 9100. are these two things related?

dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 19, 2009 Dec 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant the first so we are in agreement. Unfortunately

in the new format with the current crop of moderators

and adobe employees what we want or say maeans little. It my firm belief that adobe is trying run everyone off so that can shut down the forums so they can cut that expense out. And if people have problems /questions/ desires. That's tough we got your money now deal with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2009 Dec 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's quite clear for me that those few of us that have tried to resist in more or less polite terms have been simply ignored. And those who did say directly and clearly what they thought have been banned for ever. Not to mention those who simply left because they couldn't stand the many unpleasant and unwelcome changes of this new version of the forums, new software and new moderators included. So maybe you are right: there may soon be none of us left. However, don't worry: we are been rapidly and easily replaced by the abundant newcomers, full of their seasoned wisdom acquired throughout many and long years of using Adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2009 Dec 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that after my wife and I suddenly lost our son a couple of years ago

I understand completely. We had a loss too, and the Video Lounge was a good place to post this. Fortunately, I had some great news in follow up, and also posted to that Lounge. Fortunately for me, neither post was removed, though the time has passed, and I could live with is, should that happen now.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2009 Dec 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

For a lot of the "Lounge Chatter," you are correct. For some, however, there is much discussion beyond the scope of Adobe products, that is generally useful. Just one case is a post to the DVD Forum some time back. It was not related to Encore, but was on the general topic of choosing and satisfying a commercial DVD duplication house. This would not have been appropriate under the Encore fora (there were many sub-fora back in those days). This post was still up the last time that I checked, and the DVD forum has been almost totally inactive for some time now.

The "Video Lounge," has many similar, though the majority are probably along the lines that you cite. Some are worth archiving, while others just served a purpose at one point in time - "Happy Birthday Jeff Bellune," and similar.

From my experience, the answer is "it depends." Much will depend on the exact Lounge, and also on the posts there. In the PrPro forum, we get some posts in the main forum moved to the lounge when they are not technical posts, related to NLE work in general, or to PrPro specifically. We also get technical questions moved FROM the Lounge out to the main forum, so that they will be seen by more folk and likely to get answers much more quickly.

Each Lounge and probably each MOD in charge of a Lounge, needs to weigh the potential merits and delete with judicious thought, rather than just "clear the decks." I'm sure that Jeff Bellune would like to remove some of those "Happy Birthday" posts, in case someone is counting...

Just some thoughts,

Hunt

PS - I also noticed a drop in my posts count. I think that Dave's question cleared this question up for me - probably just banter in a Lounge someplace? Thanks for asking Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Here is an invitation. Stop by the Video Lounge and have a look around. You'll see a real mix of posts. Many are just as you describe, but some have real merit, and for video production in general. Note that there are some continuing inside jokes, and many go back for three iterations of the fora. References to the yoodles, Rolling Rock beer and the dusty plastic plant in the corner will have lost the original references, so just ignore those. Still, this Lounge has a good cross-section of the types of posts that might appear.

Enjoy, and tell 'em I sent you!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enjoy, and tell 'em I sent you!

I hope you will forgive me for commenting that there are posts there that are six years old. I cannot help but feel just the tinest little bit of unhappiness that, somehow, the lounge that I happened to frequent has had everything more than 10 days old deleted without warning, notice or chance of appeal.  My goodness. How nice for you that your lounge has not been, effectively, decimated. Hope that you will not return to your lounge tomorrow to find everything but the last month's posts gone, as happened to me and mine. (Not your fault, but I hope you will understand my displeasure at this more-than-blatant unequal treatment.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope that you will not return to your lounge tomorrow to find everything but the last month's posts gone, as happened to me and mine. (Not your fault, but I hope you will understand my displeasure at this more-than-blatant unequal treatment.)

I hope the same thing. BTW - which Lounge are you speaking of, PS, or another?

So far, the video side of things seem to be lumping along happily, or nearly so.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2009 Dec 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW - which Lounge are you speaking of, PS, or another?

Yes, what was the "Photoshop Lounge"; it no longer exists, technically, as it was merged with some other Lounge ("Cookbook" lounge perhaps), and is now just called "The Lounge".

It was once a very lively place.

Here is is now:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/lounge

Everything that hadn't had a post in the last 10 days is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2009 Dec 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, what was the "Photoshop Lounge"; it no longer exists, technically, as it was merged with some other Lounge ("Cookbook" lounge perhaps), and is now just called "The Lounge".

Thanks. I have to admit that I have not dropped by in the recent past (too much time in the Video Lounge?), but it WAS a fun and active sub-forum. Lot of great humor in there, and some interesting non-Adobe-specific topics.

Shame,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice place to visit. Maybe their days are numbered too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Server space is finite, and buying new drives does cost money

My GUESS will be that as servers fill up, the decision was made to make space by deleting Lounge messages rather than actual tech messages

Hmm... I've been saving links to interesting discussions... maybe I should create a quick Access database and copy the actual discussions into the free form Access memo field (especially since all of the OLD forum links I had saved are now gone, and that could happen again)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forum messages don't take up that much disk space, and drives are very cheap. I seriously doubt that was the rationale.

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John T Smith wrote on 12/18/2009 12:42 AM:

Server space is finite, and buying new drives does cost money

My GUESS will be that as servers fill up, the decision was made to make space by deleting Lounge messages rather than actual tech messages

I think there were about 50k messages in the Lounge (I have about 40k of

them archived, but I miss some from when archiving was changed so I

can't tell exactly). It is now down to 15k. That is about 2 weeks of

messages on the rest of the forums. Not to mention that attachments are

stored in the database, so that is about 100 attachments. I don't think

space is the reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the reason may be related with the reason for archiving (locking really, they are not in a special Archive folder) all messages more than a month old, done some weeks ago? I seem to remember we were initially told that that had been an accident...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually John, you've done a good job of saving some of those older files. Stanley Jones has done similar in the Encore forum. Both of you have been helpful to me, when trying to go back to still useful posts from before various forum changeovers.

Just want to say thanks, and I only wish that Adobe could have done a better job with archiving. Yes, much of the older stuff has outlived its usefulness, but there were some real gems that are evergreen, even today. Luckily, I was able to pull up the WordPerfect files and then upload them to another site. The one real loss was some great, insightful discussion that transpired in these fora, from some excellent contributors. That is all gone now.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shunithD wrote on 12/17/2009 7:34 PM:

Is there any way to revive or find a thread once it's in the archives?

Not when it is archived to /dev/null.

Is this yet another draconian measure / action?

No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

Is this yet another draconian measure / action?

No.

Then what is it? No warning... no alert to revive topics that may be of interest to the actual users but have just have temporarily quitened (after all 7 or 10 days is not too long a silence on long running threads)... i can think of several... RIP is one... are you hanging around waiting for someone to die everyday for it to stay relevant?

Seems to me these forums are becoming less forums for users than forums for... in, all honesty, who knows what or who...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shunithD wrote on 12/17/2009 8:08 PM:

Then what is it?

Tuning.

No warning... no alert to revive topics that may be of interest to the actual users but have just have temporarily quitened (after all 7 or 10 days is not too long a silence on long running threads)... i can think of several... RIP is one... are you hanging around waiting for someone to die everyday for it to stay relevant?

So what did you intend to do if you were alerted? Post messages in all

those threads once a week for forever?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

So what did you intend to do if you were alerted? Post messages in all

those threads once a week for forever?

Yup... a not insurmountable task and better than letting a thread die... please see Kami's post (#12) on the matter...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new way of forum presentation is cold, mechanical and lacks human feeling that has poisoned the sharing of ideas and stifled innovation amongst friends and peers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As we have been told many times

: this is what we have now; try to make the most of it.

Extra linefeed kindly provided by the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dec9,

This is just my personal feeling, but keep the faith. Help, when you can, and be gentle and welcoming to the newbies. If a topic goes slightly off-topic, be understanding. The MOD's do have work to do, and some might not administer these same rights equally.

Still, it's about the users with problems. Do not let up. You do too much good work to worry about other things. Keep the faith!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks,

Actually my post was not geared towards not wanting to help people. I like to help and will keep doing it as much as I can.

I just made a small rant towards the changes I don't like. I am moving on from said subject because further statements will be like beating a dead horse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. I will shut up and color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines