• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac system wide spell check in new forums

Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Mac OS there is a system wide spell check which operates in any text based applications. I'm accustomed to seeing mis-spellings underlined in a line of red dots. A right click offers correction options. Simple and effective. In these new forums this option is replaced by options which only relate to the forum, Insert Link, Insert Image etc. I'm sure this makes sense for multimedia use and ease of formatting posts but for simple text communication it seems a step backwards.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welles Goodrich wrote:

In the Mac OS there is a system wide spell check which operates in any text based applications. I'm accustomed to seeing mis-spellings underlined in a line of red dots. A right click offers correction options. Simple and effective. In these new forums this option is replaced by options which only relate to the forum, Insert Link, Insert Image etc. I'm sure this makes sense for multimedia use and ease of formatting posts but for simple text communication it seems a step backwards.

You can go back and forth between the RTF and HTML formats. Sometimes I go to the HTML side once I'm done composing my post where it shows spelling errors underlined. Not the answer you want, I know, but the best there is right now, and not horribly unreasonable. Otherwise the spell check button works reasonably well also.

Actually, since I almost never have used it, don't know when they added the language options to the spell check button. So I can bring out the extra u's and tell it I'm British?!? Hmmm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This occurs with many other forums, too, including most vBulletin ones. You have to swithc editor views to see system spellchecks on a Mac. SO I'm kinda used to it.

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use  the HTML editor There is a built in spell checker.

SeaMonkeypicture002.jpg

CLick on the abc withe checkmark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes but it's crap, the one in Firefox is better and it also doesn't give you a message box if it doesn't find anything wrong

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This system does seem unique in this, all other Forums set up similar, allow the FF/SM spellchecker work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's because those forums use a normal text box when you input text while here you get all sort of html tags attached to your reply to make it look good. Just click on HTML after you wrote something to see all the stuff that gets added to your post(most noticable when adding smileys, embed pictures and stuff like that)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's like the crap that Frontpage would add to a website being built

that made that software completely unusable years ago, and probably

still does!

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines