• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing profile photo information, changed format

Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2014 Jun 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you upload a profile photo, there is no information about the actual size in pixels x pixels, which is crucial when you use PNG og GIF files for crispness. Earlier, the size seemed to be 320 x 320 pixels.

The format has also changed from square to something like 4:3 (width to height), so the bottom part of your old profile photo/image from before the latest change has been cut off.

In addition, it seems impossible to get the same brightness in colours, as if there is some strange colour management or conversion.

It would be nice to have some specific updated information on how to get it right.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, I had also noticed this and, after several failed trials, I uploaded a new version of my photograph in 4(W):3(H) format. which seemed to solve the problem. However, everything I uploaded in PORTAIT, not LANDSCAPE format was cropped  by the system, which seems odd for a portrait photo. Another point for Jive and against users which would better be warned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you notice any changes in the colours, Claudio (the photo is much like I remember it so maybe not)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can say is that it doesn't look exactly like the original I submitted, but the changes (if any) are subtle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't a native size anymore - the images on your profile page are resized and converted to JPEG when you upload them, subsequently they get scaled and cropped to fit the theme. If you click on the image on someone's profile page it'll open in 'lightbox' mode showing you the full extents of what's stored (for example Jacob's is 320x320 and Claudio's is 453x340). The developers expect everything to be a headshot-style photograph so there's no allowance for pixel-perfect display.

Avatars are always square, again their display size varies with the theme. They're stored at 128x128 pixels then dynamically resampled by Jive - the icon next to your name in threads is 46x46 pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, Dave.

I believe the best result would be to upload what would otherwise be a PNG as a JPEG at a size of 128 x 128 pixels (or 256 x 256).

But it also seems to dull down the colours regardless of colour management (or no colour management).

I can see a significant difference between new and old, based upon the exact same colours. And it seems to affect photos, too, so it becomes mugshots rather than headshots.

Notably, the old profile photo (which is/was a PNG24 image) has retained its colour brightness, only its crucial bottom part is cut off.

It is a little bittle bit of a pity for forums involving graphic design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave, but the thing isn't totally clear for me. The picture I uploaded is already in JPEG format. I uploaded it several times in portrait orientation, even at very low resolutions, but it was always cropped at the lower part. Only when I changed it to lanscape orientation was it taken enterely. And frankly, a portrait photo in landscape orientation seems wierd to me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed, Claudio.

Headshot style (not the other kind of headshot) is a special landscape portrait format (maybe only used i these forums).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines