• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

More poor lost souls than usual?

LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2010 Jul 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it just my impression, or we have had an increase in the number of product questions posted in this forum? I am counting 3 today and 3 yesterday. If I am right, is there any recent change in the forums that could explain this increase?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Is it just my impression, or we have had an increase in the number of product questions posted in this forum? I am counting 3 today and 3 yesterday. If I am right, is there any recent change in the forums that could explain this increase?

No I don't think any changes in the forums would result in increased product questions.  The only thing I can think of is that products are getting increasingly complex, education system is getting increasingly less demanding and people are getting frustrated with demanding life due to recession.  So they resort to posting anywhere they can find on the web hoping that some nice chap like you will solve their problems.

Without you these forums would be completely dead!

Keep up the good work Claudio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DWILCOX01 wrote:

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Claudio González wrote:

No I don't think any changes in the forums would result in increased product questions.  The only thing I can think of is that products are getting increasingly complex, education system is getting increasingly less demanding and people are getting frustrated with demanding life due to recession.  So they resort to posting anywhere they can find on the web hoping that some nice chap like you will solve their problems.

Without you these forums would be completely dead!

Keep up the good work Claudio.

I wouldn't be too sure. I remember having asked some of the lost newcomers, months ago, how they had made their way to this forum, and vaguely recall some answers that had to do with the structure of these forums and their hurry. As it isn't my responsibility to improve the structure of these forums, I didn't do anything about their answers in the hope that someone would do. And, considering how highly valued my contributions are in some quarters, I don't feel like trying to find those answers now to analyze them.

Off topic: I am seeing the extra line at the beginning of your quotation of my opening message. Just out of curiosity, what browser are you using? Not that I am going to move a finger to improve that either...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Off topic: I am seeing the extra line at the beginning of your quotation of my opening message. Just out of curiosity, what browser are you using? Not that I am going to move a finger to improve that either...

I am usually using IE8 because it opens automatically when I click on any replies I receive from these forums.

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried activating the Compatib

ility mode?

Extra line break kindly provided by the software, and still waiting for the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2010 Jul 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the forum name is too ambiguous and and open to misinterpretation.

Better if it were called Forum Administration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the days of the fair forums, it was Comments and Announcements about the Forums.

Hi Claudio, how is the winter, and have things settled after the quake?

Over here it is ragwort time (not ragtime, although there is quite a bit of dancing round with a fast chopping rhythm).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

Just an observation, but those seem to come in waves. At this point in time, July 02, 2010, it does seem that there have been more lately.

Not sure as to the why, but my guess would be phases of the Moon?

Going back a bit, there was a post, that kept getting bumped, stating that this was not the Dreamweaver Forum.

Again, just some observations,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,No I don't think any changes in the forums would result in increased product questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2010 Jul 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shampa.primediart wrote:

Hi,No I don't think any changes in the forums would result in increased product questions.

My question relates to a sudden uincrease of product questions I observed in this particular forum. Do you really think that no change in the forums could possibly produce such an increase? Not even a welcome window asking one to post product questions in the Comments forum (which of course we haven't had)?

Seriously, now, I think the increase I observed was just a passing wave, as Bill suggested. The number of product questions here is now back to its normal gross average.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2010 Jul 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

It seems (no scientific statistical measurements taken) that many (most?) are new posters to the fora. Not sure how they end up navigating here (I've seem some speculations, but none seem iron-clad), as I have to admit that I have all my Adobe fora bookmarked, so do not navigate around that much, and almost never start from the main Adobe Forum page. Still, there do seem to be waves of incorrect posts here. I'm sure that with product releases, say CS5, many new users will find a need to post, and perhaps there is a point in the navigation that they just do not see.

Many suspected "rabbit holes," but the Adobe Admin. looked into that, and all seemed to be correct - yet, the posters still seem to end up here.

I'd suspect that it's something as simple as this forum showing up first on a list, and getting clicked on. Similar happens in Adobe Encore. In the Library Panel, the "Party" Menu is the default. Users are always having issues with it showing up, accidentally. We first thought that there was something wrong with that Library Asset, but found that it was a case of OE, and that one being the default. The users were hitting the wrong button, and poof! that Menu was being added. If some other Menu had been the default, it would have been the one to accidentally be chosen. It was a combo of OE, plus that Asset being the one highlighted, just waiting to be added to the Project. Probably something similar - a little navigation, and this forum shows up as the first choice and gets chosen, and the poster does not know to read the title of the forum, into which they just arrived. Heck, I've been doing this for decades, and still have to check which product forum I am in. Questions can read almost the same in Premiere Elements, CS4 and earlier and in CS5. Even I get lost, as to where I am, and must check the title, as the answers to the same general question will differ, depending on which sub-fora (and version) one is in.

Gotta' be something simple,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2010 Jul 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poor lost soul here, indeed.

I don't even know how to figure out how to put up a New Post! Non-techie that I freely admit I am, I don't know how to fulfill the demanded info (32bit? 64bit? and so on) if I want to get a reply which might pull me out of the navigation labyrinth.

All I wanted to ask was why, for hevvin's sake, MUST Activex be accepted if one wants/needs to download/install Flash Player 10.1 or whatever the .point something was.

At least up till just a few minutes ago, every time I tried the download and install process, in popped that Activex bleep I've been sternly warned would or could harm my computer.

Tried to figure out a way around the Activex and still be allowed to have Flash Player.whatever.

Today, I tried again since there was a vid I wished to see. Bingo, in came the advisory I must dl/install FP10.1. OKAY, okay, the system doesn't have to hit me over the head with a 2x4 to get my attention.

Went ahead and did the download of FP10.1. Fully execting the "You must have Activex" advisory, I walked away from my computer for a few minutes. (Had to break up a domestic dispute between two house-cats). Had the fog-brained idea that surely the "You must accept Activex" if you want FP10.whatever.

Uh oh: No advisory. Shriek.

Checked Control Panel and waited for the program page (I think that's what it's called...non-tech, remember) to populate. OMG the Activex has been installed without my knowledge or permission...which it wouldn't have gotten because of that "It'll hurt your computer" warning.

So, okay. I give up. I'm going now to see whether I can UNinstall the combined FP/Activex and attemt to resign myself to the fact that I won't be able to view certain vids.

If the ____________ Activex is dangerous to the health of computers why is it being attached to FP10.1 or ANYthing else?

Very lost-soul and confused,

ATSCAT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ATSCAT.

I can only sympathize with you. These forums are a bit difficult to navigate, and you should perhaps have posted your complaint in here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/webplayers/flash_player

The full list of Adobe product forums is here:

http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa

which isn't all that easy to navigate either.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, Lost Soul!

If you go to the forum that Claudio advised, you will find several icons near the top of the forum

ficons.png

Click on the New button, and you will start your own topic, where you can ask whatever you want regarding Flash Player.

As for the required information, you have already told us that you have a "problem" with ActiveX, which tells us that you use Internet Explorer, which tells us that you use Windows.  If it is a 32-bit or 64-bit version doesn't matter with your particular question.  (It may be important to know for certain technical difficulties.)

But since you are already here, I may as well give you a short answer to your question...

Flash Player is a browser add-on that comes in two flavors:

• as an ActiveX Control for Internet Explorer
  • as a plug-in for other browsers like Firefox, Opera, etc.

Browser add-ons may potentially be dangerous, this is why the browser will issue a warning which basically means "do you trust this particular add-on? if not, e.g. if it comes from an unknown source, better watch out!"

In this particular case, the add-on is the FP ActiveX Control, and you know that it comes from Adobe, and I think that you can trust it that it does not contain any malicious software.

If you want to discuss this in greater details, please start a new topic in the Flash Player forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines