Nested Replies have to GO

LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of what follows has been posted in another forum, or forums, which some are of the Restricted type (only allowing access to from certain members).

The Point of this post, and following discussion, it to make this needed change to this forum open to all users and hopefully the people that control how this forum works.

The Simple fact is nested replying does not work the way the Adobe people now have it set up.

I posted this in another forum and I am copying it here.

As you can see replying to a already replied to Nested reply does not move to the right again showing that it is a reply to a reply to the original Nested reply. And then there is a reply to the first reply of the nested reply that is again In Line with the others. This make it impossible to follow the conversation.

QUOTE:

This is what we have.

2019-10-12 07_41_43-Re_ Community Development Sprint - October 17th Re... - Adobe Support Community.png

So how do you follow a discussion like this. Someone else put it this way. Many (although they used a number) people in a room all talking at the same time (or something very similar).

END QUOTE:

And this is from another forum that does do Nested replies properly but also has a Flat view if that is what you like.

NOTE that each Second, Third, Forth, and so on Nests moves to the right showing it is a reply to one of the original replies to the original post.

2019-10-12 10_45_39-I've always been an admirer of the A series of Sony cameras..._ Fujifilm X Syste.png

That also shows there is a "In Reply To" part showing who that post is in reply to. Nothing like that on this forum.

But in the end Adobe should DROP NESTED replies on this forum.

Other posts from that same discussion.

QUOTE:

Peru Bob

Adobe Community Professional, Oct 11, 2019

It's nice to see that some fixes are being implemented.

Expanding the quick replies, however, still doesn't fix the issue that posts are out of order and that replies to earlier posts may get overlooked, especially with multipage threads. 

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

Adobe Community Professional, Oct 12, 2019

Quick Reply really has to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is fine for FB etc. but not for this forum which is of whole different concept.

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

Adobe Community Professional, 4 hours ago

+1

Nested replies has to go.

No ifs, ands or buts - just remove it. There is no way it will ever work. I constantly miss new replies because they're buried somewhere further up. Even if expanded by default, we can't be expected to re-read the entire thread every time we open it.

Quote and "in response to" (like we had in Jive) performs exactly the same function, but in a way that doesn't destroy flow, continuity and chronology.

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

Adobe Community Professional, 2 hours ago

So here's my wishlist for next round:

• Flat chronological view, no nesting
  • Quotes
  • Bolded titles with new posts! I'm tired of opening the same threads over and over with nothing new in them.
  • A simple way to go directly to last post (but even better! - first unread)
  • Naming posters in the overview - not just OP, but also "latest post by".

This is all about basic navigation, nothing fancy. This is just about getting the forum to work; letting us stay on top of recent activity.

Then we can look at the details later.

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

Adobe Community Professional, an hour ago

D_Fosse

"So here's my wishlist for next round..."

You've hit the nail on the head!

If we had those features, plus better moderation controls and a more sensible PM system, this forum would be a pleasure to use.

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

I second D_Fosse comments to the letter.

Not so sure about Peru Bob's "A Pleasure to Use" statement but surely (Don't call me Shirly) much better that what you people thought would be a Great Forum experience.

What in GODs Name were you people thinking when you came up with this MESS.

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

Most Valuable Participant, 55m ago
They weren't thinking. Some c-suite marketing genius said, it's good enough...you know...just like they do with InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, et al. It's disgusting. This stuff should be released when it's ready, not because of MAX!

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

Wake up Adobe! If you don't, you are going to lose a lot of customers who will take their business elsewhere.

And you are going to lose a lot of ACPs too who don't want to waist their time anymore on a time consuming forum.

Some of them being around these forums for a long time (and I mean a long time not just a few years) and put a lot of work into it.

All gone down the drain.

Being a ACP and moderator should be fun but let me tell you: as of now its not.

Take a close look at D. Fosse wish list: spot on.

END QUOTE:

Please post your thought on this Nested type of forum.

Thanks for reading.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Nested Replies have to GO

LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of what follows has been posted in another forum, or forums, which some are of the Restricted type (only allowing access to from certain members).

The Point of this post, and following discussion, it to make this needed change to this forum open to all users and hopefully the people that control how this forum works.

The Simple fact is nested replying does not work the way the Adobe people now have it set up.

I posted this in another forum and I am copying it here.

As you can see replying to a already replied to Nested reply does not move to the right again showing that it is a reply to a reply to the original Nested reply. And then there is a reply to the first reply of the nested reply that is again In Line with the others. This make it impossible to follow the conversation.

QUOTE:

This is what we have.

2019-10-12 07_41_43-Re_ Community Development Sprint - October 17th Re... - Adobe Support Community.png

So how do you follow a discussion like this. Someone else put it this way. Many (although they used a number) people in a room all talking at the same time (or something very similar).

END QUOTE:

And this is from another forum that does do Nested replies properly but also has a Flat view if that is what you like.

NOTE that each Second, Third, Forth, and so on Nests moves to the right showing it is a reply to one of the original replies to the original post.

2019-10-12 10_45_39-I've always been an admirer of the A series of Sony cameras..._ Fujifilm X Syste.png

That also shows there is a "In Reply To" part showing who that post is in reply to. Nothing like that on this forum.

But in the end Adobe should DROP NESTED replies on this forum.

QUOTE:

Peru Bob

Expanding the quick replies, however, still doesn't fix the issue that posts are out of order and that replies to earlier posts may get overlooked, especially with multipage threads. 

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

This is fine for FB etc. but not for this forum which is of whole different concept.

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

+1

No ifs, ands or buts - just remove it. There is no way it will ever work. I constantly miss new replies because they're buried somewhere further up. Even if expanded by default, we can't be expected to re-read the entire thread every time we open it.

Quote and "in response to" (like we had in Jive) performs exactly the same function, but in a way that doesn't destroy flow, continuity and chronology.

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

• Quotes
  • Bolded titles with new posts! I'm tired of opening the same threads over and over with nothing new in them.

This is all about basic navigation, nothing fancy. This is just about getting the forum to work; letting us stay on top of recent activity.

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

D_Fosse

If we had those features, plus better moderation controls and a more sensible PM system, this forum would be a pleasure to use.

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

Not so sure about Peru Bob's "A Pleasure to Use" statement but surely (Don't call me Shirly) much better that what you people thought would be a Great Forum experience.

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

They weren't thinking. Some c-suite marketing genius said, it's good enough...you know...just like they do with InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, et al. It's disgusting. This stuff should be released when it's ready, not because of MAX!

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

Wake up Adobe! If you don't, you are going to lose a lot of customers who will take their business elsewhere.

And you are going to lose a lot of ACPs too who don't want to waist their time anymore on a time consuming forum.

Some of them being around these forums for a long time (and I mean a long time not just a few years) and put a lot of work into it.

All gone down the drain.

END QUOTE:

Thanks for reading.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 13, 2019 2
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some other posts from other forums on this subject.

QUOTE:

Another reason Nested Replying does not work.

This post from the other day in a 5 Month old thread. This post was to the First page of a 6 page discussion.

2019-10-12 15_15_03-Solved_ Adobe CC apps and MacOS Catalina (What's broken_ W... - Adobe Support Co.png

2019-10-12 15_16_11-Solved_ Adobe CC apps and MacOS Catalina (What's broken_ W... - Adobe Support Co.png

God only knows what was in between.

END QUOTE:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2019 1
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QUOTE:

Peru Bob

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

+1

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

• Quotes

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

D_Fosse

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

END QUOTE:

QUOTE:

All gone down the drain.

END QUOTE:

Thanks for reading.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2019 1
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump to the Top. I wish I could make this a Sticky.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening.
6 months ago ...
I also saw a post like this (in Japanese). How two years ago!

clipboard_image_0.png

clipboard_image_1.png

If you look closely, it seems that you were replying to the nested reply. Certainly, as Just Shoot Me says, Khoros (Lithum) made it difficult to understand the chronological flow.
I hope at least the last update of the thread can be understood.

TkfY(ACP),JAPAN

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is simple. Adobe carried over posts from the old forum going back to 2016. With those older posts the people responsible for this MESS of a forum NESTED some replies to the older Flat layout. How they did that I have no idea. But someone searching for something came up with that discussion then Added to it, AS A NESTED REPLY, somewhere in the middle of the MESS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2019 1