• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Bug/Anomaly alert

Contributor ,
May 13, 2009 May 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that a particular thread which receives new replies doesn't pass the "new reply" status along to the thread index so that the (Updated) text-flag gets appended to the thread title.

5. May 13, 2009 3:23 PM in response to:                                     Ramón G Castañeda

Re: Gandhi quote for employees of any entity—and forum hosts

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't know about you, but i gtet the little red flag, which means it said "(Updated)"

1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the 'updated' flag too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

i don't know about you, but i gtet the little red flag, which means it said "(Updated)"

1.jpg

Hmm...I thought the flag image was merely a replacement for the (Updated) text, and enabled by a script—which I haven't installed.

So now I'm wondering what would enable you to see the flag indicator, but yet I don't see the text?

Good thing I hesitated to unequivocally call it a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't mean literally a flag, I see the Updated text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screenshot_05.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, Kath...Now that you replied to the "Gandhi" thread, I see the (Updated) text. But I didn't when Lazi replied, and I didn't when I replied.

And I just replied to that thread again, and (Updated) is missing.

I just replied to Forum session login/timeouts as a test, and I don't see (Updated).

I can understand perhaps not seeing (Updated) when I view the thread index immediately after my own reply. But I can't understand NOT seeing it after a particular user (in this case, Laziboi) replies.

Anomalous, like I said. But sometimes that word can be erroneously used to describe a situation where one has yet to detect a pattern.

shrug.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't when I replied.

You won't - no-one sees 'Updated' if their own post is the most recent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

I didn't when I replied.

hmmmm, didn't pay any attention to that ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose the software doesn't use the 'Updated' marker because, well, it knows I've read the last post, I made it. Oh wait ... it KNOWS where I've just been ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

Sure...THAT part is understandable.

But what I don't get is why I'd see (Updated) after YOU reply, but I don't after Laziboi's reply?

Maybe HE'S the one who is "special?"

How come, when I hover over your avatar, or my avatar, and most others' I see a list of up to 5 recent posts, but when I hover over his I don't? I don't even see his participation in the Gandhi thread until I actually go to his profile page.

Something to do with participating via email?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be. Maybe email replies don't trigger 'updated'.

I'll try it, tell me if my next post shows the 'Updated' doo-dah - of course I won't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now there's a thing! I replied to the 'Slow' thread via email - and I saw my own post trigger the 'Updated' text!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I read your recent posts, I saw that S.D.A. had replied to a thread, and we KNOW he participates via email...sooooo...

Who the hell knows what's going on?

Maybe nobody knows, or if they know, they aren't saying.

Add it to the maybe-we-should-look-into-this list, I guess.

shrug.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It gets curiouser and curiouser…

Phos± initiates this thread at 12:28 PM on May 13, but, in the initial post he quotes a message posted at 3:23 PM the same day.  

AAAAAA_predated-post.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're seeing our own time zones. Here's my copy/paste of that message #5.

5. May 13, 2009 12:23 PM in response to:                                     Ramón G Castañeda

Re: Gandhi quote for employees of any entity—and forum hosts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Mark.

This is an unholy mess!  How are we supposed to keep track of all of this?  (That's a rhetorical question that does not call for an answer.)

Even accounting for the three hours difference, Phos± is quoting a message five minutes into the future.  That's nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Even accounting for the three hours difference, Phos± is quoting a message five minutes into the future.  That's nuts.

WITH A FEW SMALL MODIFICATIONS, ANY CANOE CAN TRAVEL THROUGH TIME!!!

http://www.yellow5.com/pokey/archive/index18.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I myself was not clear on how the (Updated) flag worked, so I asked Jive support about how it works, and here's what they said:

The (Updated) flag is part of Read Tracking within the application. When read tracking is enabled the (Updated) flag will display whenever there is a new message in a discussion that you've viewed before.

There are three states that each thread or message can be in:
* UNREAD - the object has never been read. In a skin, a "new" icon should be used for objects in this state
* UPDATED - the object has been read previously, but there have since been updates. In a skin, an "updated" icon should be used for objects in this state.
* READ - the object has been read and there have been no updates to it since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But ... there is no 'new' icon.

Also, I have noticed that I do not see 'Updated' if the latest reply is my own - which is logical - but I DO see that if I replied by email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the "New" indicator is with bold text, with un-bold being the "unread" state. And my understanding is the read/unread tracking is all web-based, which is why you would see "Updated' if you replied by email.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks, I was reading too much into 'icon'.

If the email system gets properly sorted though, and as many people use it as used NNTP, the read/unread status could get a bit confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the old webx forums, threads were always unread unless viewed in

the web interface as well.

This is nothing new...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's new for me, as I only ever used the web interface. If a lot of posts start coming in by email and *not* showing as updated, that would be confusing. Ex-NNTP people probably won't notice the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines