New Forum Look

Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a long time (3 years, anyhow) user of the Lightroom UtoU forum, I am liking the new look. Much better tahn the last try at a 'new look'! Only thibg missing that I have seen so far is a way to provide a 'Signature' to be appplied to each post I make.

Don

Views

Translate

Translate

This conversation has been locked.

New Forum Look

Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a long time (3 years, anyhow) user of the Lightroom UtoU forum, I am liking the new look. Much better tahn the last try at a 'new look'! Only thibg missing that I have seen so far is a way to provide a 'Signature' to be appplied to each post I make.

Don

Views

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see myself dropping in a lot more often now.

Only thing I'm already wishing for - the 'filter threads' at the top of each forum looks great, but I wish it included 'unread threads' in the options.

Otherwise, stunning job everyone!

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria.Bampton wrote:

Only thing I'm already wishing for - the 'filter threads' at the top of each forum looks great, but I wish it included 'unread threads' in the options.

Victoria, if you click on 'View Feeds' on the right there is one for: Unanswered Thread: and one for Popular Discussion Threads and though these are not exactly what you ask for they may help!

Don

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DonRicklin wrote:

Victoria.Bampton wrote:

Victoria, if you click on 'View Feeds' on the right there is one for: Unanswered Thread: and one for Popular Discussion Threads and though these are not exactly what you ask for they may help!

Don

I also just noted taht there is a single tab at the top of the forum that says Overview. Maybe they can add a tab for New Threads/Posts and maybe Anwered and Unanswered tabs!

Don

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Contributor ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not been very verbal about the changes and growing pains of the forum over the last 10 years (or more accurately, attempted changes), but I'll tell you what, this format is bad.  It was much cleaner and easier to navigate before - this way is clunky.

• it takes up too much space
  • takes longer to load
  • we need the breadcrumbs at the bottom of each page
  • we need to know where the unread new posts begin (heck, even vbullitin can do it!)
  • we need a better way to get back to where we came from when we go places like to the "your stuff" links
  • the TOS absolutely MUST be changed so that Adobe does NOT usurp the rights of the users who post images either to this site directly or by way of external links.  Right now (and in the future), under the currently worded TOS Adobe is claiming rights to all the photos to use for whatever reason they want.  Sorry Adobe, you are going to lose a LOT of credibility (and potentially customers) with that way of thinking.

Unfortunately, I am sure there will be more issues. 

greenjumpyone (formerly known as Hopper)

edit:  the "Overview" tab is only visible (for me) on the main discussion window, not on the individual threads.  I'm not sure what that tab actually does, as clicking on it did not change anything for me.  I do have the preferences set to "flat" on the thread view.  Maybe that's the reason it seems to do nothing for me?

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Guide ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great post, Hopper!

Consider posting it on John Nack's blog, which has an entry on the new forums today:  http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Contributor ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

posted.

well, I think it is going to have to be approved, as I have not posted there before, but I copied from this forum to that one.

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

edit:  the "Overview" tab is only visible (for me) on the main discussion window, not on the individual threads.  I'm not sure what that tab actually does, as clicking on it did not change anything for me.  I do have the preferences set to "flat" on the thread view.  Maybe that's the reason it seems to do nothing for me?

On some other forums, there is more than one tab. I was noting that since there is one tab, maybe down the line that can mean there will be more and useful tabs. One tab IS meaningless.

Don

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Contributor ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don,

agreed.

hopper

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Contributor ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One tab that apparently will be coming back is documents. And that is what we're supposed to be able to use for building FAQ's according to what John has been saying. Should be interesting.

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Contributor ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and what's with the "The Question has been Possibly Answered" thing at the top???

It seems unnecessary to me AND there is a potential it's inaccurate, such as for this thread!  I feel that header is just taking up space and really not providing a true service.

And why the "rating" for correctly answered (10pts) or partially answered (5pts)?  We keeping score here?  To what end?

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To what end?

to distract people...? i don't know. i can't think of a good use for it.

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Guide ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

and what's with the "The Question has been Possibly Answered" thing at the top???

Successfully nuked it with Adblock Plus by blocking forums.adobe.com.##*#jive-answer-bar > DIV

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Guide ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what the page looks like so far:

Adobe-Forums_-New-Forum-Look.jpg

The "More Like This" title is still there, but the contents of said box are obliterated.  Looks like the title itself is tied to the ACTIONS box, but it's pretty harmless now—no more than a static rule would be.

Message was edited by: Ramón G Castañeda — made new screen shot

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Successfully nuked it with Adblock Plus by blocking forums.adobe.com.##*#jive-answer-bar > DIV

I'm not ready to nuke anything. i want to see what we're getting here...

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Guide ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here's what the thread discussions index page for this forum looks like now with the scripts and blocks:

Adobe-Forums_-Forum_-Forum-Comments.jpg

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Participant ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 For unread threads.

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, there is still too much wasted space and the 'posting+fluff' area is fixed width.  All that stuff in the right column should be moved to a popup or button without devouring the whole column.

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I like taht one actually gets the content of a post in the email notification and not just a link and 'read more...'

Don

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Contributor ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DonRicklin wrote:

And I like taht one actually gets the content of a post in the email notification and not just a link and 'read more...'

Don

That is for folks that want to participate only by email, Don. They never need to come to the forums in a browser.

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully get that, Dorothy. It was one of the things I disliked about the old way, so this is great!

Don

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Contributor ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DonRicklin wrote:

I fully get that, Dorothy. It was one of the things I disliked about the old way, so this is great!

Don

Not gonna be so easy to make the NNTP folks happy, tho. They lost that, and don't think email can replace it.

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DorothyK@Adobe wrote:

DonRicklin wrote:

Don

Not gonna be so easy to make the NNTP folks happy, tho. They lost that, and don't think email can replace it.

There is always the RSS! That wasn't there and I know many that will clap over that!

Don

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Mentor ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing see disappointing is in the the threading of the email notifications.

In old system comments made to same thread were Thread.

In this new style each notification is individual even if the same subject.

This is a major reason I stopped going to apple forums because everythread was shown as anindividual email rather than threads grouped together.

I guess I can live with it.

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Contributor ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

The only thing see disappointing is in the the threading of the email notifications.

In old system comments made to same thread were Thread.

In this new style each notification is individual even if the same subject.

This is a major reason I stopped going to apple forums because everythread was shown as anindividual email rather than threads grouped together.

I guess I can live with it.

That's one thing that was working, then got broke when they added the number at the end of the subject line. Now at least gmail no longer sees it as being part of the same thread.   Further tweaking will no doubt happen.

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Contributor ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DonRicklin wrote:

There is always the RSS! That wasn't there and I know many that will clap over that!

Don

Maybe, Don... but RSS won't go both ways. If all they want is to collect info, it will, but not if they want to participate.

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DorothyK@Adobe wrote:

Sure it can. The reported issues in the email feed just have to be fixed.We are still missing a bunch of headers and email messages get truncated in random places. I am just not so sure that these issues will get fixed because nobody is even confirming the issues with the missing headers exist. The only header issue they seem to be willing to confirm was the issue with their incorrect email server configuration causing large scale blacklisting of the email servers, which was technically not even a header issue.

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

DorothyK@Adobe wrote:

Sure it can.

no. it can't. email and nntp are different. very very different.

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2009 0
Participant ,
Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave; They're only different in terms of protocol, basically speaking. I use slrn & mutt for nntp and e-mail respectively, but both can read Usenet threaded.

We're dinosaurs though; Most ISPs are shutting down their newservers because the majority of their clients don't use it and the ones that do use the mjority of their resources So it's a trend this days (lsing NNTP access)..

It's a little different here but I can't imagine it's worth the trouble for Adobe to put resources into nntp access for the few users in terms of percentages that use it. E-mail (if adobe can get the subject header cleared up) is just as efficient. Personally I can use mutt which is jsust great as using usenet access as far as I'm concerned.

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S.D.A. wrote:

I can't imagine it's worth the trouble for Adobe to put resources into nntp access for the few users in terms of percentages that use it.

The number of users might be relatively small, but in the Dreamweaver forums at least, the contribution of NNTP users was very significant. Most questions came from the web interface, but most answers came from NNTP. Many of the NNTP users have left, saying they won't be back.

I suppose others will eventually fill their places, but it's likely to have a serious effect on the value of the Dreamweaver forums for some time to come.

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David_Powers wrote:

I suppose others will eventually fill their places, but it's likely to have a serious effect on the value of the Dreamweaver forums for some time to come.

I suspect it won't just be the dreamweaver forums...

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Email and NNTP are very, very similar. Similar enough that I already have an email-to-NNTP bridge ready. I am just waiting for the moment that Adobe fixes the bugs in the email system because that will automatically fix the issues in my private NNTP system.

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2009 0
Participant ,
Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:24:05AM -0600, David Powers wrote: > S.D.A., > >

A new message was posted in the thread "New Forum Look": > >

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1869445#1869445

Author : David Powers >

Profile : http://forums.adobe.com/people/David_Powers > > Message:

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2009 0
Participant ,
Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Apr 07, 2009 0
Participant ,
Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Apr 08, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you keep posting this?

Translate

Translate

Apr 08, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you DOING???????

Translate

Translate

Apr 08, 2009 0
Contributor ,
Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think S.D.A. must be using email-only and hasn't looked in with a browser to see how his messages are getting cocked up.

I find it rather humorous, even though it is annoying.

Translate

Translate

Apr 09, 2009 0
Participant ,
Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Apr 09, 2009 0
Contributor ,
Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<Cheech y Chong>"Bailiff..Whack his pee-pee!"</Cheech y Chong>

Translate

Translate

Apr 09, 2009 0
Participant ,
Apr 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry folks but the problem is on Adobe end and NO I wasn't using my e-mail client -- It happened via the web interface. Yes I know about refreshing the client causing multiple posts; but that didn't happen here. If by looking at someones profile it sends an e-mail message, something is seriously borked.

Translate

Translate

Apr 10, 2009 0
Contributor ,
Apr 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S.D.A.—

Why do you suppose it is that your account was the only one which seemed to be having this problem?

Methinks it was a matter of PEBCAK.

Translate

Translate

Apr 10, 2009 0
Participant ,
Apr 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Apr 10, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Apr 10, 2009 0
Engaged ,
Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I updated my Stylish thingy for FireFox to point to the right forum domain.

Wide-screen again!

(Er, although I think you were looking for a 10.5 Safari-only solution. Still don't know how to do that yet...)

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is bad. this is very very bad.

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

this is bad. this is very very bad.

Explain thy self! What's is bad about the new forums? Merely complaining helps no one!

Don

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm not mearly complaining. they look like shiete.

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Participant ,
Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can live with the new forums. I am so glad that John tweaked the linespacing, which was way too tight in the earlier messages of the beta. I have set the forums to thread, which I kinda like, although it might make it hard to follow new messages. It also gets to rather small widths when reply indents get over eight or so. That might be a good thing, as it will allow me to ignore messages bickering back and forth at each other. It is nice to be able to reply to a thread a couple days back, and have it follow that message immediately (although I know people viewing in non-threaded will still see it at the end of the list).

Let's give the thing a few weeks to shake out before declaring it to be crap. It is different, but we will be able to get used to it, I think. At least it is not as bad as the MM side was. Perhaps that is where most of the kudos are coming from.

Don

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2009 0
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least it is not as bad as the MM side was. Perhaps that is where most of the kudos are coming from.

You hit the nail on the head.

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D. McCahill wrote:

Let's give the thing a few weeks to shake out before declaring it to be crap. It is different, but we will be able to get used to it, I think. At least it is not as bad as the MM side was.

agreed.

but i still think it looks like shiete compared to the nice clean professional look we had!

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2009 0
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but i still think it looks like shiete compared to the nice clean professional look we had!

I agree with you Dave. It is not very pleasant to be here really.

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2009 0
Mentor ,
Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its the kindergarten look. lets dumb everything down and have pretty pictures or the pros won't want to come here.

This is the standard ugly forum look. this is why I neve go to the Apple forums much they are ugly and annoying to use much like this one is now.

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2009 0
Mentor ,
Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see anything annoying with the new system other than the unnecessary  seraila numbers at the end of email notifications which kills any subject threading in  email notifications cause each to tried as a unque subject  when they are not. That what killed my participation in Apple forums. Not I only subscribe to questions I ask.

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2009 0
Guide ,
Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

Meh. I hated the old forums quite a bit. I much prefer the look & feel of this new site, though I agree there are bugs to be worked out. I found the forums exceptionally difficult to read and a pain to navigate. I'm already a hell of a lot happier with the way this site works.

The 'More Like This' is something I'd turn off since I'd never use. I believe the question thing is meant to highlight users who provide useful feedback; I suspect the creator of a thread has the option to mark a response as 'answered the question' or 'helpful' and dole out points that way. I'm just guessing though, since I've never created a thread -- I just try to answer questions on the AI SDK forum.

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2009 1
Advocate ,
Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. thread starter gets to dole out points. I'm handing them out at random because I think it's a silly system.

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2009 0
Mentor ,
Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well these are worse in those two areas

--

-thanx buko

http://www.buko.net

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2009 0
Engaged ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, no signatures.

Now using Affinity Photo

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Guide ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new forum look is gosh-darned awful. 

It took several scripts and Adblock Plus to tame it a bit: force full-width forum page to waste less space, nuke all avatars, kill the utterly useless "More Like This" box, obliterate the "Top Participants" box, delete the "Staus" icon under each poster's name, hide "labels" and "badges", etc.  Now I see none of that cr@p!  

Now some misguided, lost soul wants "signatures" ??? !!!  No way!  we went over this many times already: do not allow signatures, please! Ban anyone who uses them. 

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some situations a Signature that lists important background info can be helpful ( in some subforums) to those answering questions, especially where systems and or equipment (Camera, for Lightroom forums). That doesn't mean all posts need such signatures or that all sub forums do.

.A  handy alterative for those asking for Signatures, for the reasons alluded to above) is to have a multi-clipboard function and have a saved equipment list that one can paste in a post as needed. The Labs had Signatures, but the older UtoU forums like PSCS and LR ones did not.

I can understand the call for no Signatures and some of the other clean-up requests (no Avatars and the like), but others are quite use to these coming from V-bulletin forums.

My 2¢,

Don

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And ban anyone that wants to use multiple fonts, styles, type and color! (Ooops, bye)

Translate

Translate

Apr 05, 2009 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ramón,

>It took several scripts and Adblock Plus to tame it a bit: force full-width forum page to waste less space, nuke all avatars, kill the utterly useless "More Like This" box, obliterate the "Top Participants" box, delete the "Staus" icon under each poster's name, hide "labels" and "badges", etc.

I came here to moan about the waste of space and the ludicrous type sizes, so I liked the look you get (as shown in the screenshot in a later post). Could you elaborate on how you achieved that?

Thanks,

Peter

Translate

Translate

Apr 06, 2009 0