• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Forum Software?

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2009 Mar 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cower as I write and ask this but I didn't find any clear answers. Will forum be proprietary software (Adobe designed?) or something like vBulletin?

Sorry if I'm duplicating questions here.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 20, 2009 Jul 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SeaMonkey is the replacement for Mozilla or before that Netscape Communicator, or before that Ntescape Navigator 3.0.1.a Gold.

Its a combination of FireFox Web Browser and Thunderbird Email and newsgroup client. It also has FTP download capabilities well. and it has IRC Chat built in as well.

It takes less memory when its open, Than opening FireFox and Thunderbird at the same time. and when you click an mailto link or a URL in an email news post it opens it seamlessly.

Why does it take less memory use because certain components are shared between al parts. where as when opening  the individual items FF/TB those components/libraries have to be loaded a second time. They are not shared.

The only disadvantage is that if it should crash for whatever reason, it takes both the mail/newsgroup and web browsing don't at same time. But its been about three years that I have actually had a crash on SeaMonkey That that was after I killed the crash reporting software, which was actually causing the crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saw the whole thing, dude. First you were all like "whoa", and we were like "whoa", and you were like "whoa...".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Takes even less memory when you don't run it at all because you don't need all the fancy extras they stuffed into the software while they were bored. Or maybe they wanted to release a new "better" version and one up the competition's latest bloat. Whatever the reasons, I hate needlessly upgraded and bloated software, and most browsers are nonstop headed in that direction.

Why can't software just stick to doing what it's supposed to do?  And in the case of the Jive development team, why couldn't they have just stuck to flipping burgers? (or sea kittens)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever the reasons, I hate needlessly upgraded and bloated software, and most browsers are nonstop headed in that direction.

Why can't software just stick to doing what it's supposed to do?

I can't say it enough (so that's why I'm saying it again! 😞 I HATE HATE HATE HATE the state that software is in these days! I would rather a tool that does a few things very well rather than a tool that does a hundred things in a half-azzed manner, but bloatware & feature creep seem to be the order of the day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Software that has has 450 MB for a total upload just has to be better then a competitor with 250 MB because more is better.

Ansury wrote:

Takes even less memory when you don't run it at all because you don't need all the fancy extras they stuffed into the software while they were bored. Or maybe they wanted to release a new "better" version and one up the competition's latest bloat. Whatever the reasons, I hate needlessly upgraded and bloated software, and most browsers are nonstop headed in that direction.

Why can't software just stick to doing what it's supposed to do?  And in the case of the Jive development team, why couldn't they have just stuck to flipping burgers? (or sea kittens)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2009 Jul 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pyngthyngs wrote:

I don't know about you guys, but I like the new forum format better.

I have to agree.  Very flexible editor, and the whole thing is lightening fast!  I don't know why I see constant complaints about performance, because it is definitely very much faster than the old forums.  (Where the editor was useless; you couldn't even insert a clickable FTP hyperlink.)

The only thing I hate is that I have to login every few hours, but that seems to be Adobe-made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you couldn't even insert a clickable FTP hyperlink

How soon we forget. Just typing http:// etc made a fine clickable link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and use ftp:// or mailto:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm mailto: is supposed work But it doesn't just typed

see if it works when encased in a link. No tried and said not a valid link although if inserted on a website with an email address is a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwillener wrote:

pyngthyngs wrote:

I have to agree.  Very flexible editor, and the whole thing is lightening fast!

lol! while trying to respond to this abotu the blazing speed, THIS is what sat on my desktop for over a minute while the lightning fast editor took its time loading...

1.jpg

note the absence of any typeable area.

what a joke!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwillener wrote:

pyngthyngs wrote:

I have to agree.  Very flexible editor, and the whole thing is lightening fast!  I don't know why I see constant complaints about performance, because it is definitely very much faster than the old forums.  (Where the editor was useless; you couldn't even insert a clickable FTP hyperlink.)

The only thing I hate is that I have to login every few hours, but that seems to be Adobe-made.

lol!  Is this serious or a joke?

What the hell kind of quantum computer do you have, and who sold it to you? Last I checked Alienware was still run by Dell...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

you couldn't even insert a clickable FTP hyperlink

How soon we forget. Just typing http:// etc made a fine clickable link.

So it did, but ftp:// wouldn't.  But now we can: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.1/enu/AdbeRdr910_en_US.msi

Ansury wrote:

What the hell kind of quantum computer do you have, and who sold it to you? Last I checked Alienware was still run by Dell...

It's a Dell Optiplex GX260, made ca. 2001, and it came with Windows 2000.

I don't know if it has something to do with the time of the day when I use the system, i.e. when it's night in the US and Europe, and very few users here in the Asia/Pacific area use it.

It's very fast, and it's not a joke.  I also have never seen any 404 or other errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 22, 2009 Jul 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But your browser--that must have been written by the aliens, right?

Not discarding the fact that Jiveware "fixed" ftp links, but with 99.9% of posted links here being http and all the other problems they introduced, they have quite a long way to go before the "good" outweighs the bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very fast, and it's not a joke.  I also have never seen any 404 or other errors.

All I can say is that your experience seems to be the grand exception. First thing this morning, it took two minutes for this page to display - and then it displayed a blank screen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fr. Watson wrote:

All I can say is that your experience seems to be the grand exception. First thing this morning, it took two minutes for this page to display - and then it displayed a blank screen!

Didn't you hear? It's Jive's new "time saving" feature--you save time because you don't have to read anything!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines