Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New forums suck

Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm spiked at 99% CPU most of the time on this terrible crap forum--even just from moving the mouse over links.

I didn't complain about all the extra frilly stuff many people seemed to have a problem with, but...poor performance?  That's a deal breaker.

This is why JAVASCRIPT, and "Jive" sucks. This is unusable for me on IE 7... come on now. (???) Only took about 15 minutes to get here and post this...

Here's an idea Adobe: go ahead and create a FLEX forum if you want fancy fancy RIA type functionality and ditch this Ajax/JS hack trash. It's not like you don't have the expertise in Flex here... and it could use the demonstration and publicity.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

Here's an idea Adobe: go ahead and create a FLEX forum if you want fancy fancy RIA type functionality and ditch this Ajax/JS hack trash. It's not like you don't have the expertise in Flex here... and it could use the demonstration and publicity.

They can't, they broke the webservice API and now neither the authenticate method of the PermissionService nor the Webservice Security based standard login method from Jive work anymore. Documentation on how to work around it is not available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Performance is fine for me on Mac OS X 10.4.11. Actually I think it's quite snappy, on par with the old forum setup, as far as page load speed, drop downs, hovers, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SuperMacGuy wrote:

Performance is fine for me on Mac OS X 10.4.11. Actually I think it's quite snappy, on par with the old forum setup, as far as page load speed, drop downs, hovers, etc.

Sure, if you're just browsing and reading, the speed is acceptable.

The moment you want to reply to a post or start a new thread, however, it will take you an eternity, easily five to ten times longer than in the WebX forums.

It's intolerable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Cornicello and Team:

We have all been telling you, since we saw the first glimmer of this disaster that it would NOT fly and you refused to listen.

You have persisted in pigheadedly driving blindly ahead to adopt this appalling new format and the unresponsive Jive personnel and their atrocious software and have consequently landed us all with a SLOW  time and space wasting monster (that you have filled it with juvenility such as avatars and points for correct answers plus your cohort of supporters —all wearing their pompous and un-merited "Community Expert" badges when most of them appear to be "experts" in very little).

Basically, the people who have buldozed us into this new Format, and drunk the Jiveade, have killed the Forums stone-dead— and I hope that you are pleased with yourselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, now, Ann. Don't you think you are being a bit corybantic?

Now using Affinity Photo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awww, c'mon now. We didn't really expect not to see a few hickeys here and there did we? That's the fun of it all. Helping sort it out!

I think in the long run they will be better. Even if you are seeing growing pains at the moment.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, these posts do not take an eternity and the speed definitely tolerable.

Now using Affinity Photo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well they seem a little slower to load at times and a little slower to edit at times. But I attribute that to the current traffic. I've had over 300 email nofications to come today alone. On the webx system I was lucky to see 300 hread in a 7 day week.

I attrubute part of that  300 to moaning and groaning about the new system.

yes I have contributed to the mix about 5-10 post of my own.

My biggest gripe is the necessity for the serial numbers after each subject and the Group it came from. Threading in SeaMonkey even though set for threading, does not work because the serial numbers added makes each a unique post. In old system if there were 50 threads click thread hit R for read and ould mark all read then go to the first post and read then entire thread.

Apple went to a similar set up and I left there reading day to day because I had to go through 400-500 indivual email notifications. It was taking up too much time.

If they can ditch the serial numbers or figure out a way to hide them, would help  tremendously

Message was edited by: Phillip Jones, C.E.T. (PjonesCET)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be a Community Expert but I happen to have been using these forums almost since their inception; and I can almost guarantee that none of the other regular contributors that I have been in contact with over the years are going to put up with this useless MESS.

The Forums have been rendered UNUSABLE.

Brilliant!

And just how much has this abominable nightmare cost?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann

I've been through several iterations of different forums with different companies owning the software I help with.Blue Sky, eHelp, Macromedia and now Adobe.

I'm sure the fine folks at Adobe didn't just willy nilly put on a blindfold, choose a package and slap it in place. I'm confident they did their homework and we will all end up with something we can live with.

Just growing pains for some more than others. Give it time and who knows? It may seem like a mess to you now and six months from now you may find yourself wondering how you ever got along without it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboWizard wrote:

Just growing pains for some more than others. Give it time and who knows? It may seem like a mess to you now and six months from now you may find yourself wondering how you ever got along without it.

Cheers... Rick

So the support help that we've been giving for years is suspended for 6 months, eh?

We are in the midst of an unmitigated disaster.

Anyone who was used to the WebX forums knows that these forums are totally unusable by comparison.  I'm sorry for the people who think this dog's dinner is "fine". It might be pretty to look at for some dilletantes but, as far as functionality is concerned, it just doesn't work!

In the old forums it wasn't just dipping in to interesting looking threads and maybe contributing, it was knowing everything that is going on giving advice and learning solutions in equal measure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

as far as functionality is concerned, it just doesn't work!

In the old forums it wasn't just dipping in to interesting looking threads and maybe contributing, it was knowing everything that is going on giving advice and learning solutions in equal measure.

hear hear!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure the fine folks at Adobe didn't just willy nilly put on a blindfold, choose a package and slap it in place. I'm confident they did their homework and we will all end up with something we can live with.

Or somebody high up in the feeding chain at Adobe had a personal agenda in granting the contract to the totally incapable Jive outfit?

I can think of no other explanation for this debacle.

I am just not prepared to waste my time on something as horrendous as these Forums have now become;

and I am not prepared to even attempt to help in the Forums anymore

until they are returned to the level of usability that we formerly enjoyed.

That means the full restoration of:

SPEED, Flagged Navigation, Tighter Listings, Perpetual Log-in

and particularly SPEED.

Take this damnable format off-line until you can actually put into working order — if JIVE are capable of doing that (which I very much doubt!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann-obviously you like the ability to choose font and color!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photo_op8 wrote:

Ann-obviously you like the ability to choose font and color!

Or perhaps I am just taking the Micky out of the "new features" in order to draw attention to the infantile minds of their creators?!

8/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But what about the exchange and distribution of information and help to people?

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

But what about the exchange and distribution of information and help to people?

^_^

Oh Adobe's own engineers are going to have to that all by themselves from now on — and I hope Adobe enjoys having to PAY for their overtime because they have certainly pissed-off most of the people who used to generously share their experience and help in the Forums day after day — and do it for FREE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they have certainly pissed-off most of the people who used to generously share their experience and help in the Forums day after day — and do it for FREE.

I am suspicious they actually want the oldies to go away or are complacent about it. It's really too bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And every time you post a comment you are automatically subscribed?  Who thought that one up? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until you fix up your prefs. Probably the same people who put that 'More like this' box in that gets filled with 'Best price on wheelbarrows' or similar.

Hmm, I see that 'pissed off' makes it through the filter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the problem with "pissed off" (I may use it from time to time ^_^) not being filtered? Just filter the really offensive stuff, whatever the old forums did is probably fine. Start going commando on PC speech and we'll just have lots more people pissed off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>>> Perpetual Log-in

SOMETHING really needs to be done about the session timeout...TWICE I've lost thoughtful posts that took 5-10 minutes to compose. If the Forums will only support short messages, where is Jive with their Twitter plugin?  Insanity, here we come!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboWizard wrote:

I'm not. We already went through this mess a while back with the same type of unusable atrocious mess.

RoboWizard wrote:

I very doubt it. this look and feel is why I avoid most forums. Now it seems Adobe want us to avoid this one too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This time, they did more homework.   There is no solution available that would please everyone (remember, everyone is not you).  The shear scalability factor needed for forums this busy ruled out many forum packages.   But the jive clearspace forum came closest, and can be tweaked a bit.

If you are going to complain, please be specific.  Preferably even create a topic for each specific issue - so other people can compare notes and the operations staff can see about addressing the problems.  Putting a dozen complaints in a single topic kinda limits the possibility of useful discussion.  And complaints without any useful details -- well, that doesn't help anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines