Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New forums suck

Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm spiked at 99% CPU most of the time on this terrible crap forum--even just from moving the mouse over links.

I didn't complain about all the extra frilly stuff many people seemed to have a problem with, but...poor performance?  That's a deal breaker.

This is why JAVASCRIPT, and "Jive" sucks. This is unusable for me on IE 7... come on now. (???) Only took about 15 minutes to get here and post this...

Here's an idea Adobe: go ahead and create a FLEX forum if you want fancy fancy RIA type functionality and ditch this Ajax/JS hack trash. It's not like you don't have the expertise in Flex here... and it could use the demonstration and publicity.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

But seriously though, post in the thread "One thing that confuses me about these new forums..." and let's see if this retroactive deactivation thing is true.

If it is, it is proof that Jive "Clearspace" (or whatever) is TOTAL GARBAGE and not performance oriented at all. I guarantee that it takes more resources to track alert preferences per thread than it does to have a simple on/off flag.

But I suspect it's really just a problem with the forum software (shocking). My God, there's no way I'll stay here if this is going to be the norm.

• There is an option in your preferences to auto subscribe you to threads you post in.  (while I agree the default should be OFF, its a pretty useful feature)
  • You may also manually subscribe to a whole forum or an individual thread.
  • So, if you turn off the auto subscription preference after it subscribed you to threads you have to unsubscribe yourself to threads you were automatically subscribed to as a result of the preference setting..

I dont see that as a terrible design.  How would you suggest improving it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally found the option to disable spam for threads I created (buried inside my profile, instead of a link within the thread display itself, there's an improvement).

But I still can't find a way to disable "automatic subscription". I've already said that I have the mail notifications set to NO under preferences, and I was still subscribed to the post I posted today. So what's up with that???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

I finally found the option to disable spam for threads I created (buried inside my profile, instead of a link within the thread display itself).

Can you ellaborate?  I dont know what you are referring to here.  What option are you referring to?

Ansury wrote:

But I still can't find a way to disable "automatic subscription". I've already said that I have the mail notifications set to NO under preferences, and I was still subscribed to the post I posted today. So what's up with that???

That is very frustrating.  I cand understand why you are upset.    Ive tested on two different IDs turning on and off mail subscriptions and it works as you would expect.   So, my guess is you are still subsribed either at the forum or thread level, or you have a second adobe ID and the email subscriptions are coming from that.

Replying to an email post would reveal if its from a 2nd adobe ID.  The screen name would come up different in the post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taking nearly 60 seconds to log in I'd almost forgotten why I came here.

remember now, bring back the old Newsgroups - they worked.

If web forum is he way to go why use such a difficult to follow system when there are tried and tested systems out there that will work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree !

This SUCKS !

I want NNTP Access back !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't EDIT my post so I had to reply.

Now I am getting all these emails of  people replying.

I see NO way to diable this per thread.  Oh and yeah, no threading.  Another reason this SUCKS !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DHLipman wrote:

I couldn't EDIT my post so I had to reply.

You can edit your own post until someone replies to it.  Then it becomes locked.

Now I am getting all these emails of  people replying.

I see NO way to diable this per thread.

Look in the action box at both the forum level and the thread level.

If you see this:

mail1.jpg

It means you are subscribed to that level of the forum.  If its at the forum level, you are subscribed to the whole forum.   To Stop getting emails click on the "Stop email notifications" link.

If you see this:

mail2.jpg

You are not subscribed at that level.

...  Oh and yeah, no threading.  Another reason this SUCKS !

Go into preferences and change from flat to thread view if you want threading.

threador-flat.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'm fed up with all this damn email I get enough already with out all this crap from these forums. I have everything turned off in my prefs and I have turned off email notifications and I still got Curts last post. this is very annoying. If the email will not stop I'm out here for good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please allow me to help with the email subscriptions, since I had the exact same problem.  It's ABSURD that we have to go through this much but here it is:

1. turn OFF email notifications  (nope, not done yet ...)
  2. turn OFF mailing list notifications (nope, not done yet ...)
  3. go to EACH forum you visit and click the STOP email notifications link [right sidebar]  (nope, not done yet ...)
  4. check your inbox, determine which THREADS are sending you notifications, go to that thread and click on the STOP email notifications link [right sidebar]   Even if you turned off the emails in the individual forums, you must also turn off the emails in the specific threads.

This should effectively end the email "spam" that you are receiving.

The fact that we have to turn it OFF in at least 4 different places is plain STUPID.  So tell me again, who thought this was a good idea?

good luck!

Hopper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by Buko wrote:

Well I'm fed up with all this damn email I get enough already with out all this crap from these forums. I have everything turned off in my prefs and I have turned off email notifications and I still got Curts last post. this is very annoying. If the email will not stop I'm out here for good.

OK, lets try to figure this out.  Cause Im unable to duplicate the problem.  Bear with me if youve already checked this, but I'd like to check:

1. With this thread in view; in the actions box it should say "receive email notiifications" correct?
  2. Now go to the main forum view; it says "receive email notifications" correct?
  3. Double check preferences;  Both Email notifcations are set to No; correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.  With this thread in view; in the actions box it should say "receive email notiifications" correct?

which means if you CLICK the link, you WILL get the notifications!

2.  Now go to the main forum view; it says "receive email notifications" correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

1.  With this thread in view; in the actions box it should say "receive email notiifications" correct?

2.  Now go to the main forum view; it says "receive email notifications" correct?

Correct.  I didnt tell him to click it.  I asked him to confirm this is what it says.

Buko says this is what he already did.  Im just asking him to confirm.

Its really not that hard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still getting the email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by Buko wrote:

I'm still getting the email.

I cant get anyone who can duplicate this.  So Im at a loss if you followed the instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buko,

I am wondering out loud here ... have you cleared your browser cache and cookies, closed it down, reloaded and tried again?

at this point, you've nothing to lose and LOTS of inbox space to gain!

hopper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can NOT turn off mail receipt of a thread by going to the thread from your email reader (Mail, Entourage, whatever). You must go to the offending thread thru your browser. THEN turn off the option to "Receive email notification". Seems to be a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, no, Curt, I understood that!  I was simply pointing out the obvious! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I click on on "Stop email notifications" and it FAILS to change state.

It remains ON.  Iid that in another thraed and it changed state.THIS INTERFACE SUCKS .

I WANT NNTP ACCESS BACK !

{ I can't wait for someone to start posting those 2KB ~ 10KB El-Fietsa and other based explot PDFs }

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crap I just got another email from David. This is terrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted the following in the Dreamweaver Forum. Maybe it's better said here?

I am still scratching my head over some of these changes. This new forum setup seems inefficient and difficult to keep track of. My preference was the original Adobe Forum setup. It was pretty close to what I would call the perfect forum setup. Professional, user friendly, and well thought out in so many ways. I can't for the life of me understand why Adobe would change to a setup like this for professionals. On the plus side, I will be keeping track of much fewer threads this way, so I won't waste as much time using the forums.

I also understand that Adobe removed the ability to use news readers. Whereas I don't use a news reader, I know that it is supposed to be a very efficient way for those who help others. Because I want to support our faithful Support base, I am in favor of requesting that Adobe give this feature back.

I keep trying to guess why change something that worked so well for so long was replaced. It wasn't broken; why did it need to be fixed? Now it's broken. Now it feels more like teenie bopper town than professional Adobe interaction. I guess the word is: Juvenile?

I get the feeling that Adobe needs to clean house. The captain of this ship doesn't seem to have a proper compass.

On another note, I would like to at least make one suggestion. It would be helpful if we could set our preferences to reverse the order of each thread, to where the last post is at the top, and so forth. This would at least prevent the continuous need to find the last page to see what has been posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice post Linda. I wish I could be so calm and level headed about it all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'll probably be flamed for this, but here goes.

Imagine you are a single parent. You have two well behaved children that you are very accustomed to. Perhaps they are accustomed to eating whatever you serve for dinner without quibbling. Things are good, no? One might compare that to the Adobe forums you mentioned you enjoyed.

Now imagine you meet the mate of your dreams. But along with the mate comes another two or three children. These children aren't nearly as behaved as your own are. To make matters worse, they are very picky eaters and are quite accustomed to being served whatever they want for dinner.

You marry this person (think Adobe acquiring Macromedia here) and the parents are now faced with having to appease the whole fam damily with something specific for dinner. The kitchen doesn't lend itself to preparing many different meals (think different forum types here) so you need to find a common ground.

I compare NNTP to the children expecting the pizza delivery man to arrive at the door with the pizza. The parents have deemed that won't be the case any longer. I consider the new forums to be a bit like having to get up from the table and serve yourself. That is, if you are one who chooses to visit the web forums to participate.

The new forums offer E-Mail support. I might compare that to the parents advising that instead of the Pizza man arriving, Meals on Wheels will arrive instead to bring pizza. (Same food, different delivery mechanism)

Overall, the way I see it Adobe has provided a means other than the web interface to participate. They aren't forcing anyone to use the web interface. Well, I suppose you DO have to visit to set things up initially. But once you have that set, as long as things are working okay with E-Mail there shouldn't be any need to visit the Web Forums.

I've participated via the E-Mail/Web Interface for years. So the threads aren't exactly threaded. I can still glance at the E-Mail message and discern whether it's something that warrants my attention or is a reply.

So many here seem to want to crucify the folks at Adobe and claim they haven't done their homework and that all this was just an arbitrary move. I seriously doubt that was the case. They needed to arrive at a common forum platform that would handle what is needed for their 80+ product lines.

Pause and consider that for a moment. 80+ forums with each having several different categories. Earlier I was viewing the area listing the forum users. I was astonished to see there were 11,344 user profiles listed. So imagine having to choose a forum platform that would appeal to that many users. So far I think I've seen maybe 20 different users post to this thread. (I'm guessing at this and trying to guess high)

I doubt I've helped anything here other than to make a foibled attempt at explaining my own views. But there they are for better or for worse. The new forums are what they are. We can all make the best of it or we can just grumble and grouse and let it eat at us. I'm seeing a lot of kicking and screaming and folks saying they will leave if nothing changes.

I choose to take the positive approach.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboWizard wrote:

I'm seeing a lot of kicking and screaming and folks saying they will leave if nothing changes.

But then I notice some of those same folks are listed as the most active posters in some of the forums. I guess that's a good sign meaning they are getting along better than they initially thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I got tired of reading 200 post Tonight. I am signed up to  three newsgroups. So I used search for in SM for my email notifications.  And used General Forum Comments. I then selected all, and marked read Guess how many post for the other groups I had left  3.

So most of the activity has to do with comments about the Forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I'm still getting spam. I'm not going through 4 or 5 !@#$ steps to stop it. Maybe it's easier just to mark Adobe mail as spam and block it all. Sorry for your loss, Adobe (of BANDWIDTH).

I'm getting tired of hearing these arguments saying "They did research and this is the best they could come up with."

I'm afraid, on this, I call:

BULL@#$% !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines