• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No more spam?

LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2009 Apr 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Spam topic hasn't received any messages for several days, which I find unusual. Could we perhaps take this as a sign of the popularity of the new forums? Just a thought.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wishful thinking. Spam tend to come in waves.

I have two email addresses one I use specially as spam catcher. Some periods I receive 100-200 spam a day. Other times i'll go for weeks with maybe 10-15 a day. and on ocassion I will either not receive any at all or just one or two.

My Primary email addres I've noticed lately is begining to receive spam. Thank goodness for spam filtering in SeaMonkey and Thunderbird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been reporting spam via the abuse button.

Edit: You missed the point PJ!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

I've been reporting spam via the abuse button.

And how do you know if any action was taken?

Anyway, after I posted my OP, I noticed that there is perhaps a better reason: spammers may not like the lightning speed of these new forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

I don't know but I have faith in our forum overlords. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

Claudio González wrote:

I don't know but I have faith in our forum overlords. 

You do?? with all the negative comments about the forums, I don't see how anyone could have any confidnece in them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<sigh>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 points?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously the man doesn't know sarcasm when he sees it in print!

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't you see th emotican (smiley)??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I'm with you. I was responding to John's sigh!

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess its a trait I'm aflicted with inherited from my dad.

when he was living he could joke with someone and they would have to ask whether he was joking or insulting them. Mother always had to explain he was joking.

I have the sme problem . I say something , think I am saying it or writting so its obvious to others what I mean. But yet they take it another way.

emails of all types you can not show emotions in writting so its left to interpretation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think they should keep the points system but award them for grammar and spelling instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And definitely let us deduct points

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 19, 2009 Apr 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

I think they should keep the points system but award them for grammar and spelling instead.

Har! Har!

I suppose you never make Grammar mistakes or spelling mistakes. If the spell check built into Seamonkey would work I'd catch a lot more.

And the built in spellchecker doesn't allow for adding words and doesn't work correctly. You have to click two times to get it to trigger, and two or three time to get out of it.

Beside when your an old Geezer of 60, grammer is not your strong suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

John Joslin wrote:

Har! Har!

I suppose you never make Grammar mistakes or spelling mistakes. If the spell check built into Seamonkey would work I'd catch a lot more.

And the built in spellchecker doesn't allow for adding words and doesn't work correctly. You have to click two times to get it to trigger, and two or three time to get out of it.

I resent that last remark. I'm 60 and it is the total ignorance of good grammer , or ignoring for brevety of Tweeting type post, among especially the younger crowd that is a true shame. i could cite tons of examples. But using plural when meaning singular. A couple when showing more than two. I understand whe are in an International comunity where often the User has ESL issue, but, I see all too often when that is simply not the case.

We are all getting way to lax in our speech. When meaning is lost, then just what reason is there to speak at all?

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DonRicklin wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

John Joslin wrote:

Har! Har!

I resent that last remark. I'm 60 and it is the total ignorance of good grammer , or ignoring for brevety of Tweeting type post, among especially the younger crowd that is a true shame. i could cite tons of examples. But using plural when meaning singular. A couple when showing more than two. I understand whe are in an International comunity where often the User has ESL issue, but, I see all too often when that is simply not the case.

We are all getting way to lax in our speech. When meaning is lost, then just what reason is there to speak at all?

Don

I left line to which you are referencing to answer. It has first two meanings first is humorous sarcasm . Next it depends upon where you grew up. I grew up in a very rural portion of Virginia Back in the 50-60's. And I am product of Public Schools. Public schools in Rural Virginia never get the support nor have proper funds to pay for top of the line teachers. Then too, English/Grammar was never my strong , I never made better than B- at the most . I did get straight A's in Woodworking and Electronics and Algebra and Trig. Also a lot  of my mistakes are symply due to typo's. I never took touch typing. I wen to school where Typing was considered sissy, woman's work (training to be a secretary). So it never occured I would ever need typing. Back in 60's computer were as large as an entire store on a Major buildin and had those cores on top that looked like Compressor on on 1920-30's refrigerators. Copers like we have now were just a glimer of dream that could be a 100 years. So I am product of where I grewup and experiences at the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could give the spell checker a try though. Bad spelling and grammar make a person's posts very hard to understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Serveral of the words I typed in above response were stripped as a result of the Spell checker kicking in while typing. I'll take my chances with not using it It mangles things worse than not using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just go to html view so that firefox can spell check your text; that's what i do as it's much faster than waiting for the built in spell checker to load up, plus you don't get an annoying dialog box if it doesn't find any errors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno Bokor wrote:

just go to html view so that firefox can spell check your text; that's what i do as it's much faster than waiting for the built in spell checker to load up, plus you don't get an annoying dialog box if it doesn't find any errors

I use SeaMonkey 1.1.16 and the spell check doesn't work on this site but does on other sites it does work on subject lines for some reason though.

By the way the we part is based on the most current version FF.

Just figured out a work around. temporarily turn off  HTML and use SM's Spell check then turn HTML back on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, this is hilarious! The 'More Like This' box for this thread, 'no more spam' - is bringing up a bunch of links to spam posts Once the spammers catch on, they can get umpteen for the price of one Get rid of that box. Really, get rid of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

Oh, this is hilarious! The 'More Like This' box for this thread, 'no more spam' - is bringing up a bunch of links to spam posts Once the spammers catch on, they can get umpteen for the price of one Get rid of that box. Really, get rid of it.

At last!! A decent reason to have the box... wiped out maybe 20 spam posts, as well as sundry other snarky comments attached to them before I got bored with it. They were all old, pre-import ones and mostly from the untouchable fusetalk side of the forums. Thanks for pointing that out anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 20, 2009 Apr 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While our message count is shrinking, our point score is still increasing!

--

Borg Collective: Newsgroup_User

#925 of 2006

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 21, 2009 Apr 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

Umpossible. This software is perfect. No need to change anything. Adobe wouldn't have foisted installed it otherwise. Doesn't matter that regular users are dropping away like flies. The kids like it, and the exec who imposed it has now moved on to wreak work on other things.

And gee, ain't them colours purty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines