• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NO NNTP News Feed = A loss of a lot of helpful people.

Valorous Hero ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

COPTIED FROM A REPLY, but after I posted I decided I wanted this to be a thread of its own.

As a 'News Group User' of the older forum, I find the e-mail feature to not be sufficient to make up the removal of the NTTP feature.

I, and several like me, answered a lot more questions then we asked.  To do this, we don't hang around the web interface all day.  Rather we connected with our handy news readers to the NNTP feeds.  Thus we could pruse all the new topics since the last time we had a few moments.  See any that we could help with and fire off a reply, then go on to the next message.  No back buttons, multiple web forms or any other huey that slows down serial responders.

We NNTP users may have been a small group, but we where very vocal, at least on the ColdFusion forums where I share much of my knowledge.

I can tell you, if today is the indication that this is the best that these new forums has to offer, I will not be a frequent contributor to these discussions.  And I am not alone.

I don't care if the technology uses E-mail, NNTP or RSS feeds, but it must use it correctly.  The messages must be threaded, they must be complete and understandable and we must be able to read and reply with tools other then a web browser.

I am not going to be able to help with messages like this.  It does not make sense without context to the other messages of this thread!

[Advanced Techniques] New message: "Re: post data" [1i9rpv-1np-7Qx9]

Ian Skinner,

A new message was posted in the thread "post data":

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1870239#1870239

Author  : dchard
Profile : http://forums.adobe.com/people/dchard

--------------------------------------------------------------
that I don't know...that's why I'm asking if it's possible and how. But I'm thinking is it possible to store the data on a session variable thru onclick? So that when a user pick a choice on the drop down then it will store in the session.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2009 Apr 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why you feel mail is "clogged". Are you possibly really

tight on disk space or something? I also have defined rules for each of

these folders so they only retain a specific amount of data and don't

eventually grow beyond capacity.

I have six terabytes and space is not a problem. However, I monitor approximately 120 forums. I typically only skim through the headers and click on the ones that look interesting. Does using email require downloading the entire message? That seems like a lot of bandwidth just to read the headers.

Best,

Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick...

Actually, what i meant were two aspects...

1/ In the email client (OE) you don't have to worry about folders, etc., unless you want to save certain messages for posterity. Each newsgroup has it's own folder. Watched mesages get highlighted and don't get deleted when the messages get compacted, cleaned up, etc. And, you can set it to get x number of headers and mark all or just the ones that interest you to download later.... etc., etc...

2/ In email mode, you could end up with hundreds, if not thousands of messages on your mail server... And there's no facility to mark threads for 'watched'. You'd have to go through them all...

Generally, while you can monitor these news forums by email, it's nowhere near as fast or hassle-free as monitoring via NNTP.

Cheers...

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 13, 2009 Apr 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jhabrix wrote:

2/ In email mode, you could end up with hundreds, if not thousands of messages on your mail server... And there's no facility to mark threads for 'watched'. You'd have to go through them all...

Generally, while you can monitor these news forums by email, it's nowhere near as fast or hassle-free as monitoring via NNTP.

I am starting to re-explore Opera. I hadn't set it up since retiring a computer years ago with the paid version of Opera on it.

Its email system takes some getting used to, but it does have a method to flag threads as follow/ignore. Of course, I can't test that with the Jive emails yet, but it seems to work well in some minor tests I've done so far.

BTW, Opera also has built-in newsreader, but I prefer a different program for that. Actually, I prefer using separate programs each for NNTP, email, and WWW, but I am exploring anyway.

Agreed. I suspect that once/if they get the emails hammered into compliance, it will be easier, but still not hassle-free since you do have to create filters/folders, etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but still not hassle-free since you do

have to create filters/folders, etc...

NNTP is much too fast and much too easy. Hassles are great. We all have way too much time on our hands and we need tedious tasks to fill our free time and give us a reason for living. I look forward to spending my time creating folders and filters, and when everything is working, I hope Adobe releases yet another forum so I can start over again.

Best,

Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christopher Glaeser wrote:

I look forward to spending my time creating folders and filters, and when everything is working, I hope Adobe releases yet another forum so I can start over again.

Haven't you heard? Adobe is planning to upgrade the forums every 18 months, on the regular update schedule. Enjoy these until October 2010.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 15, 2009 Apr 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

email system takes some getting used to, but it does have a method to flag threads as follow/ignore. Of course, I can't test that with the Jive emails yet

It wont work, the headers needed to do this are missing, and in any case the message body has several pointless lines before the main content which make it a pain to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 15, 2009 Apr 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ChivertonT wrote:

email system takes some getting used to, but it does have a method to flag threads as follow/ignore. Of course, I can't test that with the Jive emails yet

It wont work, the headers needed to do this are missing, and in any case the message body has several pointless lines before the main content which make it a pain to use.

Yea, but they're working on that. The missing headers, I mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 16, 2009 Apr 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apperently so: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1894945#1894945

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used NNTP before. All of you will probably laugh when I say that

my use of it was from inside Microsoft Outlook Express.

Why would anyone laugh? OE is a fine choice for reading NNTP user forums.

Best,

Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christopher Glaeser wrote:

I have used NNTP before. All of you will probably laugh when I say that

my use of it was from inside Microsoft Outlook Express.

Why would anyone laugh?  OE is a fine choice for reading NNTP user forums.

HAH!

Oops. That was supposed to go to alt.flames. Sorry about that.

Follow ups set...wait...where...how...

--
Mark A. Boyd
Keep-On-Learnin' 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2009 Apr 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> and have re-joined alt.graphics.photoshop

I just went there to look.  It's cluttered with spam.  Air Jordans on sale for cheap.

Best,

Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jolie...

Do you have to register to post?

TIA,

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mmmm... seems not,,,, just posted a test there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2009 Apr 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bring back NNTP support. I don't care what loops some think I have to jump through to follow "my" boards, newsreader is the easiest way for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines