• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Odd Behavior in Video Lounge Thread

LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a simple thread in The Video Lounge, from sometime back: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5467991?tstart=0#5467991

About half-way down, the formatting goes wonky. I also found that I could not Reply, after that crazy formatting, except by going back up-thread, to before it started getting messed up.

It's not a thread of any interest, to anyone, who did not hang out in PrPro Forums, back in the day, but I have never seen anything like this elsewhere, and cannot find out what happened.

Hunt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill, we could be both suffering the effects of alcohol, but I am also seeing the strange things you mention, and just in that thread. This happens in Firefox/Mac and also in Explorer/Win.

I also noticed that message #1 (yours) is the last one to display properly, that the Reply button not only doesn't work starting in message #2, but also looks funny; and that the incomplete line starting with Mark as:  appears in all messsages after #1.

Captura.JPG

If I remember correctly, the complete line should be Mark as: Correct Helpful, and it should only be seen by the OP

Wierd, indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

Thank you for checking. I considered too much Pinot Noir last night, but then ponder how would that affect Joe Bloe too?

One PrPro user visited, but did not see a problem (XP and IE).

Will keep taking peeks at it, with different browsers.

Appreciated, and maybe less wine tonight? Nah, that thread is but a curiosity, and nothing important...

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill, my previous life as an experimental physicist taught me that no unexplained behaviour in a complex system is unimportant, and that many tiny nuisances are in reality announcements of something very bad and undesirable coming...

And yes, there could be a connection with wine, but only if we had been enjoying those bottles of Pinot Noir together. And it would take much more than a couple of bottles for their effects to be still noticeable so many hours after last night ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain the concept of an "Experimental" Physicist as opposed to Normal Physicist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Theoretical physicists claim they had the idea.
  • Experimental physicists do the work required to show the idea wasn't just a drunken guess.
  • Astrophysicists dream of the day when one of them can afford to do an experiment.

As an experimental physicist, I fixed the thread and will require payment in donuts, as per union rates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I though maybe he was experimenting with being a physicist. As opposed to actually being one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, just as an experimental physicist is not experimenting with being a physicist, a theoretical one is not theorizing about being a physicist. Dave has explained very well the difference between the two in plain words.

I apologize for using a term that I thought was well known, thus opening the door for the discussion to go off topic.

Dave, it would be interesting to know (also in plain words) the reason for this curious error, apparently affecting just one thread and not observed by at least one user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No apologies need. Though I am a Retired Electronics Technician, I just hadn't come across that exact term. My last Physics class was back in 1969 and was geared more toward Electronics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reply by joe bloe included a pasted section of HTML that showed the last login time. HTML tags are carried through when you copy/paste into Jive's message editor, and that particular line had a SPAN tag whose CSS defined an absolute width. Jive decided to honor it, because Jive is silly.

Claudio González wrote:

Dave, it would be interesting to know (also in plain words) the reason for this curious error, apparently affecting just one thread and not observed by at least one user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Thank you for that explanation.

Greatly appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Dave. What I don't understand, though, is that report by able123 saying that s/he saw nothing unusual in that thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines