• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OK, you're just taunting us, right? (4.5)

LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2011 Aug 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 03, 2011 Aug 03, 2011

Still September. I'll look into that announcement thing.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last time I saw a note from Admin, he said he was hoping for a September rollout for the Jive upgrade... looks like SOMETHING is now happening in August

Slow and steady, with lots of testing, works for me!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still September. I'll look into that announcement thing.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

9:46 AM West Coast USA... now the index page returns a 404 Not Found error

Grin... I guess THAT takes care of the bogus announcement!

Added 9:48 AM

Index page is back, and the Annoucement concerns forum searching, not Jive 4.5

Still, it's nice to know that September is "good" for the upgrade

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am out of town for most of Sept, and all of Oct, so maybe I will not have to suffer any "growing pains," but may have a major surprise waiting for me.

Tonight, I have to completely reset my IP's, as my service provider is changing things big-time. Guess that I will just have another session of changing everything, come Sept?

Thanks for the update,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and while we're at it, here's a short wishlist for the new Jive:

• Bring back the little red flags on threads with new posts, please
  • Bring back the little "New" icon, for all new posts, since one was last on the page, please, as then I can go back to "Threaded View," or
  • Make switching from Threaded to Flattened View, on the fly, and with a hot-key

Thanks,

Hunt

PS - Of course, if those are not possible (do not know the new Jive), then so be it - just so long as the existing threads do not go "poof."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably much like the old Jive.

Jive is Jive .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I only hope that we do not look back, and reflect on now as "the good old days... "

I do not know forum software, and am even seldom aware of what a site is running. Obviously, here it would be impossible to ignore. I only relate to "features," like that short list above, from the pre-Jive forums. I do the same with other forums, where I decide which features work for me. I've commented on the nice features in ChowHound, though I do not know what software that site is on. I'm just a user, and not a Web site developer. I see things through the eyes of a mere user.

Good luck to us all,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Probably much like the old Jive.

Jive is Jive .

Except a bit slower

It is my experience that all new software tend to be slower than its predecessor on a like with like basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 04, 2011 Aug 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your accurate on that:

On this new system I'd like to see these abilities returned:

Ability to write a sentence without having it break by itself in the middle of a word and having to take the time to jum to the next line and dlete the Break. A break should happen only when you hit Return/Enter, or you get to the end of the typing area and it has to break to new line.  (Like in a word processor for example.)

Allow the ability to upload problem files, or  files to prove a point. without having to go through some intermediary system and provide links.

Allow the Style menu to function.

Allow Fonts to be changed and reflect those changes in the replies. So that us People with eyesight problems can Read without squinting (even with Glasses).

Install some type of system that prevents Spam and other type Malware.

Have enough Hard drive/ Server space to prevent slowdown. And if there are they should hunted down and fixed ASAP rather than have users complain days before its solved.

If the problems can't be solved with Jive. Then Fire them and use a PHP System replacement that will function work.

I've probably only name just a few of the faults.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, now we have a clue as to what version it's going to be updated to, eh?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In another thread I think the exact version was stated to be 4.5.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 06, 2011 Aug 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

allow the back button to function correctly, not jump back to page 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

allow the back button to function correctly, not jump back to page 1.

Ideally what is needed is when you go to the forum, the latest post is presented first.  this may mean that the order of presenting the messages may need to be reversed.  Old messages should be at the bottom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any corporations using the latest version of this gem yet?  Where can we see this in action to see if it is the right product for busy forums like Adobe's. If it is not tested throughly then it may be too late to change again.  I don't think Adobe is interested to keep updating or changing the software on a regular basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Executing a version upgrade is a very different animal than changing

vendors, especially when the vendor provides not only the software

but hosted management of it. I suspect you are not being realistic.

Jive runs their own forums at

. It's tough to

tell what version they're running exactly, but it's a pretty good bet

it's much more similar to 4.5 than 2.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 07, 2011 Aug 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to the link and they are using version 5. we will be updating to 4 minor versions behind what they are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And therefore what?

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are still behind. we should be using version 5 just like everyone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why? What does version 5 support that will make your forum experience better?

Don't you think that Adobe knows what version of Jive's software exists? Presumably there are intelligent people deciding which version to upgrade to, and if they decided to upgrade to version 4.5 instead of 5, there is probably a valid reason...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a hint of why they might not want to upgrade to 5.0:

2011-08-07_2251.png

Do you really want to be the testing grounds for their new version? The trouble we had until now was bad enough...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are on the wrong track. Obviously, Adobe is not willing to spend much money on these forums, or we wouldn't have two and a half years old bugs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're joking. Right?

You don't seriously believe that it's cheaper to upgrade to 5.0 rather than 4.5. Do you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if they are going to release reasonably bug free version they are going to do it on their own site.  It would be dumb of them to put a bug ridden version on their own site.

On the other hand it would be samrt of them to put a bug infested version on clients computer's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Harbs. wrote:

You're joking. Right?

You don't seriously believe that it's cheaper to upgrade to 5.0 rather than 4.5. Do you?

I don't know; it may and it may not. I was referring to their reluctance to upgrade in two and a half years. And I would even go as far as saying that I seem to reacall having read one of the mods saying so, long ago (a year?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines