• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Only 10 Posts Per Page Now?

LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I swear it used to be that more than 10 posts were listed on a given page, yet now I see threads go to 2 pages with post number 10 (in other words, the OP and 1 through 9 are on the first page, 10 through 19 on the second page, etc.).

I looked through my preferences, and I don't posts per page as a configurable option anywhere (and I have no confidence I've looked in all the right places)...

Did my consciousness just change universes, or is this something that's changed? 

-Noel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may have changed. I just looked at a couple of long postings in the InDesign forum and that seems to be the case.

And this is a problem because....??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a problem because it makes it harder to read really long threads,

especially to search within them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't seem like a problem for me, but there should probably be a setting where you can specify the number per page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming, guys.

I have a theory that's a bit out on the fringe...

There were moments when loading pages where the script would run kind of long - to the point where you couldn't even move the browser window for a good portion of a second.  I bet this is a workaround to limit that, because it doesn't seem to happen on short threads.

Microsoft has had a problem like that in its forum for a while.  They recently made it a lot better, but it only moved the problem from happening around 100 replies to 150 or so.

I'm with John - shortening the number of posts before wrapping to a new page isn't good.  I like to be able to scroll up to see things people have said throughout a thread, and they rarely used to wrap beyond whatever the limit was before (50?) in the forums I frequent.

If the problem is as I have guessed it here, it might be better to actually fix the script, don't you think?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

I agree with you. Multi-page threads can make general navigation a bit tougher, especially since the Last Post button has been removed.

I know that one can go directly to the last post from the thread on the Main Page, but many like to view the OP, perhaps to refresh their memory of the details in the thread, and then go immediately to the last post, or so, to see if a solution has been offered. At least I know that I do.

Like you, I might be working on dozens of threads/problems in a day, and keeping each thread in my memory is tough. That Last Post button was helpful to me.

Having to navigate multi-page threads is not so easy, as they usually require much more clicking, than simple scrolling.

I am sure that for some others, having the number of Replies limited to 8 (or similar) is a plus, but not for me. I suppose that each user has their own personal preferences on the layout of the forums themselves As Adobe has made a commitment to enhancing the users' experiences in the Forums, I feel that we should each state our desires. Those desires might, or might not make their way into the layout of the Forums, but at least with our input, they have more to work on, when considering changes. I have cast my "vote" with you on this one.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking into this.

Jive did suggest to us lowering the number of messages per page for better performance, but we had not made a decision on that yet. This is a global setting, users can't select the number individually.

As for the link to the last post, there is on in the initial post on the first page of a multi-page thread, but not on the subsequent pages. I'll see what can be done about adding it under the thread title that appears on subsequent pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also note that in the meantime you can use the page numbers at the top to jump to the last page of replies...

lastreply.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

Also note that in the meantime you can use the page numbers at the top to jump to the last page of replies...

Not in Firefox/Mac or Safari/Win:

pages.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And aren't we mixing things? This thread is about the number of messages in each page of a given discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are mixing things up. Your screen shot is of the overview showing a list of threads. We are talking about being within a thread, as shown in my screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

Yes, you are mixing things up. Your screen shot is of the overview showing a list of threads. We are talking about being within a thread, as shown in my screen shot.

Yes, you are right, my fault for not enlarging your image. Incidentally, wouldn't it be nice to have page numbers displayed the same way in all forum main pages? I would think that it is far more frequent to have multipage forums than multipage threads...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for raising it a bit to fifteen, John, although fifty would still be better.

To elaborate a little on the reasons for the longer pages:

At least in the Illustrator forum, often the helpers make a joint effort and elaborate on what the others have said, even a while back, especially in connexion with woolly and/or complicated questions, and when the thread is long enough to  create the need for one to stand in for another that has left for the day.

In those cases, any unnecessary break in the thread is particularly inconvenient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just came back here because I see the number has been upped to 15.

Agreed, Jacob.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I agree with Jacob, I will take what I can get, and will say "thank you!" Fifteen is better than 10.

Gettin' closer,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

If it was not clear from my earlier post here, I support the wish to get back to the usual number of messages per page.

I have noticed no improvement in loading speed.

In contrast, much time is wasted going from page to page instead of just running through posts.

And when composing an answer, it is convenient, and sometimes crucial, to be able to scroll back and look at different posts, and sometimes quote from them.

Having to open a new Tab and load it, just to be able to post as usual, is a serious waste of time.

That would be necessary in this case, where I should like to state the post # I was referring to at the top; in this case there is only one, but in many threads there may be several, so a woolly reference may create confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

I have noticed no improvement in loading speed.

There is one, albeit difficult to notice at a fraction of a second.

But there is no question 50 posts per page (or even more if it's not a break the bank situation) would be more usable, even if it takes a few seconds longer to display the thread.

Thanks to John / adobe-admin for looking into this.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

Jive did suggest to us lowering the number of messages per page for better performance, but we had not made a decision on that yet.

But it has been implemented anyway?

Where could possibly be a performance gain when users have to go through more pages?

Sorry, this is not a bad idea, but an incredible stupid one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, are you asking the question honestly?

The performance gain is the web server can serve the page faster because

it has to retreive fewer posts per HTTP transaction, i.e. fewer database acesses per page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the average user has to spend much more time navigating through the messages, doesn't he?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if you were to really think about it, navigation down, say 30 Replies, takes less time, than to navigate many pages of 10 posts.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

At the end of the day, it should be about how effective things are for the ultimate user. If they have to navigate many pages, that can be a negative for many. A simple scroll, regardless of how things happen at the server end, might well be preferable to many.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener wrote:

adobe-admin wrote:

Jive did suggest to us lowering the number of messages per page for better performance, but we had not made a decision on that yet.

But it has been implemented anyway?

Great question.  It's a quirk of how things are apparently run inside Adobe that has bothered me some too - planning / discipline seem to be less than optimal.  Perhaps someone doesn't realize that changing things and testing on the user base is actually perceived by the users.

Regarding server load...

Pat assumes people might read through every page, where the Jive / Adobe folks / John figure people will read just the last page.  My own experience seems to be somewhere in between so far.

Since a whole new page is being requested by the user more times (e.g., reading through a thread a page at a time), it seems likely some resource usage has actually gone up while other resources are tapped more lightly.  I doubt there's much of a net reduction in load on the servers.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There might also be a difference between the "average" user who comes here to seek help with one problem, and the people who spend a lot of time in these forums trying to help these users.

It really should be these helpers - volunteers, staff - who should get the benefit of best performance.  Making them (us) paginate more is definitely not helpful!  Oftentimes we do have to read through an entire lengthy topic, just to get all the facts straight before responding.  (Users can get very touchy if we suggest something that they have already tried in post #17.)

Paginating forward is bad enough, but for those who experience the double back arrow bug, going back soon becomes a nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2012 Jul 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

I do not know about server configuration, or how the number of threads might affect load times, but I see basically four types of forum subscribers, and each will likely read a thread in a different way:

1. OP's with a problem or question - they will likely subscribe to their thread, and follow each Reply, looking for a solution, or answer. This will likely be done in a fairly linear manner.

2. Someone coming to the forums, in search of a solution to a problem, or answer to their question, before they post about it - they will probably not be subscribed to a thread, yet, as they are searching, and again, will probably read threads (completely, or at least skim them) to find an answer, or solution.

3. A subscriber, who mostly reads the threads, to see if they can help the OP, or anyone, who might have tagged onto a thread with the same, or similar problem - this type of subscriber probably fits most of the people replying in this thread (fess up - you know who you are). These subscribers might read the OP, and then the follow-up, only the first time. The next time that they visit that thread, you want to see the new Replies quickly, to see if all possible help has been offered, and if not, then they will try to solve the problem, or answer the question. This type might also need to see the OP again, just to refresh their memory of the problem/question, as some might be working dozens of threads in a day. After their first visit, it's usually off to that last page, or at least the last few Replies.

4. A subscriber, who is here for the social interaction mostly. They might only care about the OP, and Replying to that, with little regard for what else might have been posted.

Obviously, there will be some similarity in how each uses the forums, some "cross-over," but like that #3 person, their usage might change dramatically, after the first visit to a thread.

The Adobe Forum Team has a tough call, in how to structure the forums to accommodate all types, in the best manner, and with the fewest hangups. They also have to consider that many of those type #1's & #2's will often be first-time users, and can be a bit lost, and overwhelmed by the entire process of using the forums. The type #3's usually have a pretty firm grasp on how the Adobe Forums work - or at least "worked," before a most recent change. The type #4's might, or might not be new to the forums. Also, they might be old-timers, who are just getting back into using an Adobe product, and might not have visited the "new" Adobe Forums yet. Or, they might be new users, just dropping by with a "Hello. My name is ____ ." Insuring that each type (and variations on each type) receives the ultimate experience in these forums is not an easy task.

Just thinking there,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines