Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Overview of a forum

LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2014 Jul 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several items:

1.     I just noticed in the Acrobat forum, when I open a topic list I am in an Overview mode. However, there is no way to go beyond the one page of posts. To get to more posts I have to go to the Content Tab. This looks like a serious oversight on the development of these new forums that I had not noticed before.

2.     It would also be nice to have a next button for going to the next discussion in a topic list and not have to backup. That used to be the norm, but was never setup in the Jive version of the forums.

3.     With this latest update, we get taken to the beginning of a discussion, even if we have been there many times. Going to the most recent post seems to be much more natural.

4.     A lot of the features for bookmarks (mine) and such are impossible to find if there at all. I have bookmarked several things, but have no idea how to find them later. A lot of the menu options that were at the top of the forums are missing that relate to bookmarks and such, not only to mention that all the bookmarks I had before the change are gone. The menu is missing that even allows me to go to the private messages, or I just don't understand where it got moved (a lot like the move of menu items with each Acrobat upgrade).

My general comment after working with this new Jive version is that it really got screwed up. Maybe things are there, but where. I even bookmarked this post and can't find it directly. I haven't even commented on the terrible look of the Adobe site itself. It comes up with a stupid black background and hard to find things. A lot of these changes remind me of the lousy layout that Reader's Digest went to a few years back, making it difficult to identify articles among all the ads. Maybe I am just getting too old and refuse to change to a cluttered way of life.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2014 Jul 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your points in order..

1) Not possible. The widgets that display content in the Overview page have fixed length in this version of SBS. The old ones from v4 has a "more..." button that loaded extra entries, but that was killed off long ago.

2) Also not possible - but because there's no real concept of "next". Discussions in Jive are not sequential, the order you see them depends entirely on your sort/filter choices.

3) Guess what - also not possible; though there's an active bug case to get the "latest reply" links working on the card views you won't get a "first unread" link.

4) Bookmarks are managed through the Spotlight Search window. Click in the "Search Communities" box on the top toolbar on any page, but do not type anything. The Spotlight pane will open containing all manner of useful things. Your private messages are now fed to your Inbox Stream, which is accessible either through the orange activity dot next to your profile menu on the top toolbar, or through your profile menu itself (the Inbox and Activity link). There is no separation between PMs and other content in the Stream, other than a difference in the icons. There's no dedicated "Private Messages" area anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2014 Jul 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good explanations, Dave. It is sad that the list of very useful -and almost natural in any forum like this- features that are "not possible" is very, very long. And people seem to find new ones rather frequently. Even sadder that there is no way out of Jive now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2014 Jul 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're stuck with it for the time being.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 20, 2014 Jul 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably until Adobe bites the dust.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your answers. The bookmark answer is great, but extremely non-intuitive. I would never have thought to just put the cursor in the search window to come up with bookmarks. The guys/gals doing the JIVE stuff must be idiots. I guess we are stuck with this stuff for now. From my perspective, each improvement that is done seems to be a downgrade, not an improvement. When you force folks to have to hunt for things or take away useful tools only because someone in the design group never used the feature or dreamed up what they think is a better design, you start a round of complaints. At least these complaint lists are not as bad as when we moved to JIVE in the first place, but I stand by the designers being idiots and refusing to listen to the users that are in the forums all the time.

I have similar disgust for the Adobe site. Coming up with a screen that has a black background suggests some young kid is doing the page. An the menu items take an extra step. I probably should log out of the forums and try the Adobe site, maybe I would get something different -- but I have not seen a site design I like from Adobe in a long time. I come to sites to get information, not see pretty design and try to figure out how in the world to navigate through the page.

Sorry, I am in a complaint mode. I should not even bring up the removal of old Acrobat updates from the HTML site (still on FTP) and many more download issues that have been removed from HTML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines