• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PLEASE stop the automatic notification

Enthusiast ,
Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF I want to be notified about additional threads to which I have contributed, then I'll ASK to be notified.  We should have to opt-in in order to receive notifications.

Stop the automatic notifications.

Get rid of all the fluff.

Bah!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If its its working (currently there is a debate on whether it works or not) go back to the Main forums and and on ech one you are subscribed to (named differently now) and choose stop E-mail Notification.

Now click on Your Stuff then choose Preferences you can choose to receive only e-mail notification to subjects you have responded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip:

Yes, I am aware what must be done to disable the responses.  That isn't the point.

The preview forum was "opt-in" which has now been changes to "opt-out".  The latter is more appropriate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We all agree it should be Opt In.   Hopefully it will be changed.

But, the preview was Not Opt in.  It was setup exactly the same.  Its that the email servers were not delivering the mail till the final coupld days of the preview.  So few people saw the unwanted email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Curt Wrigley wrote:

We all agree it should be Opt In.   Hopefully it will be changed.

But, the preview was Not Opt in.  It was setup exactly the same.  Its that the email servers were not delivering the mail till the final coupld days of the preview.  So few people saw the unwanted email.

That is not what I recall, Curt.  As far as I know I never received a single message from a thread for which I didn't request such notifications EXCEPT for a short period of time when I enabled email notifications for any forum activity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice if there was an additional link in the e-mail notification that allowed one to unsubscribe from watching a thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terri_F wrote:

It would be nice if there was an additional link in the e-mail notification that allowed one to unsubscribe from watching a thread.

THERE'S a good idea!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That has been in todo.txt inside the Jive advancedemail plugin for a year now. And since that plugin is distributed as a binary we can't just add it for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I finally decided to take the plunge on these new frums, and before I actually participated in anything here I checked EVERY menu, link, preference and option. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

It's a habit I generally have with any new software or online environment I encounter.

Thus, I was consequently aware of the email notifications for thread participation and made sure to turn them off, and to not subscribe to anything. Hence, I've never gotten any of the emails y'all are complaining about. That's been one nice thing I haven't had to hassle with here, at least.

HOWEVER!

I don't expect there to be a lot of activity in this regard, but I do get email notification when my Private Messages inbox receives a new entry. And as far as I've been able to tell, there's no way to turn that off. I suppose I could create a Spam filter for them in Thunderbird and never see them at all, but that just seems like yet one more workaround I'd have to perform for something that should be a user preference in the forum software in the first place.

shrug.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Especially since we now get that nifty orange glow on Your Stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phos,

Yeah, well, I would say you have more time on your hands than most!    I logged in, went to the photography forum and rummaged around.  Saw I was getting emails, went to my preferences and turned it off.  Seemed logical that I would no longer receive emails.  As many others can attest, the fact that we have to take 4-5 steps to get ALL the email notifications off is entirely and totally ABSURD.  I have succeeded, but NEVER should have had to go through all that.

Please don't condescend to those of us who didn't RTFM when we really felt it logical that our preference settings should have been good enough!

I'm sure you know me well enough that I can share with you this way! 

Hopper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't mean for that to come off in any way as condescending.

It should simply act as a reminder that it should be incumbent upon each of us to explore all options before we start bawling about stuff that there's no need to complain about. There are more than enough SNAFU issues here that are more deserving of attention and tweaking.

YES, I agree that notifications should be configured as Opt-In, as opposed to Opt-Out, and that the process to disengage from them should be easier. But the facility for doing so IS available. We ALL owe it to ourselves to discover how stuff works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We ALL owe it to ourselves to discover how stuff works.

Not so. You build a website or forum, you presumably want people to use it. It's your job to make that experience easy and trouble free, or you can expect to lose your 'customers'. How many people persevere with websites that are hard to navigate, unintuitive and clunky?

If you're providing any kind of service, even a free one, you're blowing your own toes off if you expect people to work at it harder than they feel like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

Not so. You build a website or forum, you presumably want people to use it. It's your job to make that experience easy and trouble free, or you can expect to lose your 'customers'. How many people persevere with websites that are hard to navigate, unintuitive and clunky?

If you're providing any kind of service, even a free one, you're blowing your own toes off if you expect people to work at it harder than they feel like.

You and I aren't in disagreement here at all, Kath. I'm a vehement advocate for elegant and easy user experience. Why do you think I use Macs?

Still, as with anything, if I MUST use a product or service, and I can't get it sussed quickly and easily, I will explore it until I can get manage my experience with the best aplomb possible. That doesn't mean I won't complain about it while I'm figuring it out, and make suggestions about how things could be better. But if I'm stuck with a dinghy and I need to get across the river because I missed the ferry, well, I better start rowing, eh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines