• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prevent or erasing someone "following" me in the forum

LEGEND ,
May 14, 2014 May 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to prevent someone from showing up as "following" me or erase that user if he's already there in that capacity in my profile?

There are some users I certainly don't want to be associated with by the forum software.

I feel like I'm being stalked by a nut.

If there's no way to achieve that, then that's a significant bug, even a deal breaker.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 17, 2014 May 17, 2014

Pat Willener wrote:

You can "unfollow" stalkers; here is how...

Sorry but you can't. You're mixing up "following" and "followers".

You can stop following someone else, but you cannot stop a user from following you. Unlike Facebook et al, Jive has no blocking features.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2014 May 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's obvious that this poster is a spammer intent on driving traffic to his Photo Retouching and Clipping business in Bangladesh.

I'll add him to the spam thread.  His user name is Atiqur Sumon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2014 Jul 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, other than the "follower" appearing as a statistic, exactly what harm do they do?  Are they sending you messages?  Answering your every post?  What?  Just report them in every case.  Sooner or later a mod or admin will figure them out and ban them.

In my opinion the concept of "followers" seems like kind of a useless feature of the forum software to me.  It'd be better if the designers of the software put more effort into the "To Work" option instead of adding such things.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2014 Jul 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes you just become a follower of somebody unwittingly if you click on that person's profile while you are still logged in.   That is my experience so far so I make sure I have two browsers open - One to post on the forums and one to check something else so that I don't become somebody's stalker!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2014 Jul 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is when there's a good-for-nothing, depraved, obviously insane individual "following" you with whom you would never, ever want to be associated.

It may even totally erase your credibility with users you would want to help, Noel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't think of any plus side to being followed. Can anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerry Klaimon wrote:

I can't think of any plus side to being followed. Can anyone?

Don't know about plus side but if you post a reply to these forums and somebody managed to solve their problem by reading your reply then that person is likely to look at your profile to see what is your background.  This is natural on public forums but I will repeat what Noel has just said.  If you don't want to be followed then why bother to come to these forums and post replies to questions.  Just remain "incongnito"  Simple.  Don't you think so?  People won't know who you are and you won't know who they are.  Nothing lost and  nothing gained from either side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems a bit extreme, guys.  If attracting attention is bothering you, why contribute here at all?

Seriously, who cares who's following whom?  Just ignore it, as you ignore all the other parasitic activity directed at you online.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

…Seriously, who cares who's following whom?…

Obviously many of us do, Noel—and you don't get dictate how we should react.  It's easier to ignore your posts than to look at our profile and see the likes of the user(s) who gave rise to threads like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't mean to come across as dictating anything...  I'm just suggesting that who presses what button is not something that needs to be worried about.  I encourage you to try to relax and not get worked up about something none of us can control. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you should have higher standards regarding this forum Noel.  Putting up with low standards in your business such as we see here would make you go broke in no time.  I'm sure you run your sites and your software with more care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

…I encourage you to try to relax and not get worked up about something none of us can control…

Good advice, but then stop preaching to me.  You know darned well that there is nothing you can do about what I write or do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2014 Jul 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but I actually do like chatting with you.  I'd rather continue doing that.  I will make an attempt not to preach, though I can't guarantee an opinion or two won't sneak out of my fingertips in the future. 

And yes, I do hold myself to very high standards.  I've been kind of hoping my participation here might help Adobe raise theirs.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 20, 2014 Jul 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice concept. But you have to remember that other than the users on the Forums, there is little chance that anyone even knows the Forums exist. The people at the top are insulated in their ivory towers. And care little of the customers, users and employees beneath them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One does what one can to help. 

I understand your point, but I prefer to avoid criticizing those about whom I know nothing at all.  I've worked in big corporations enough to know that the face of the corporation is not necessarily the face of the people running it.  They are corporations precisely because they take on a life of their own.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not saying you should change how you do things. I try the best I can, despite knowing that its likely no one past the forums could care less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip Jones wrote:

Nice concept. But you have to remember that other than the users on the Forums, there is little chance that anyone even knows the Forums exist. The people at the top are insulated in their ivory towers. And care little of the customers, users and employees beneath them.

Well stated, Phil!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2023 Jul 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2014 May 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can "unfollow" stalkers; here is how.

1. On your profile page click on FOLLOWERS
    uf1.png
  2. Hover the pointer over the user you want to unfollow, then click on the lower right corner
    uf2.png
  3. Click on Following in ...
    uf3.png
  4. Click on Stop Following
    uf4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2014 May 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Pat.  Unfortunately it hasn't worked for me.  It doesn't get rid of the pesky "follower". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done it with one of my "followers"; it is still there, but the '1' in "following in ... 1" has disappeared.

I don't know if I am still followed; maybe one of the new forum admins can have a look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Pat.  Given the obviously accelerating deterioration of these forums, this may well be a moot point anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2014 May 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener wrote:

You can "unfollow" stalkers; here is how...

Sorry but you can't. You're mixing up "following" and "followers".

You can stop following someone else, but you cannot stop a user from following you. Unlike Facebook et al, Jive has no blocking features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2014 May 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My conclusion was exactly what Dave Merchant just posted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2014 May 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sure isn't ideal. Let me submit a feature request for this- it's worth a shot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines