'Previous' link takes me to the next one and the 'Next' link takes me to the

previous one. This strikes me as illogical - or is there something I don't

understand?

Noel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 20, 2009 Apr 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

???

Previous is not active if I'm on the first page of the thread index.  Next takes me to the second page of said thread index, i.e. older discussions.

Newest threads (discussions) are shown first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

???

Previous is not active if I'm on the first page of the thread index.  Next takes me to the second page of said thread index, i.e. older discussions.

Newest threads (discussions) are shown first.

i think you're confusing being on the index page vs. being inside a thread ramon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave,

I understand that the thread index page is different from a thread page.  The OP is what's ambiguous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP is what's ambiguous.

ya a little. so between the 2 of us, we have both possibilities covered!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I wasn't talking about the thread index, but a discussion page. 'Previous' to me means 'preceding', yet I get the following discussion (i.e. higher up the list). That doesn't make sense. The fact that threads are sorted according to the date of the newest post rather than the original one takes some getting used to, but I can't get used to previous meaning next newest as opposed to next oldest.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I am mightily confused.

I'm not seeing any Next or Previous link within a discussion (thread) page that would in any way take me to a different discussions at all, not the next discussion and not the previous one either.

I've tried it in a different, unhacked browser just to make sure.

Would you happen to be looking at a threaded view or something like that?  I've never used threaded view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think he's talking about the next/previous buttons that appear when a thread has multiple pages but those work as they should, taking you to the next of previous page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I'm talking about:

previous-next.PNG

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to believe, but I had never noticed those two buttons before.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Hard to believe, but I had never noticed those two buttons before.

Nor do I think I would ever use them!  With the unusability of these forums, I certainly don't want to be reading every darned thread without knowing it interests me.

For instance, in this forum, I try to skip any and all threads that deal with NNTP, RSS feeds or email posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep, removed those buttons a long time ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno Bokor wrote:

and that's hte problem with messing with this this fucucked interface until it's baked...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

and that's hte problem with messing with this this fucucked interface until it's baked...

the way i see it, either you mess with the interface or the interface messes with you. I've beaten the interface into submission, you won't see me complaining about the cute gradients because i removed them all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you won't see me complaining about the cute gradients because i removed them all

i understand, but the problem is, you're shooting at a moving target. i don't want to mess with it too much (except replacing updated with little red flags! ) becuase they're going to be changing the layout. they'd BETTER be changing the layout... better yet, they should just give it all up as a bad job and roll back to webx and pony up the money for support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

it really depends on how much time you want to allocate to make the forums look how you want them to. I for one don't anticipate any major visual changes in the near future, not until they fix all the important stuff anyway(email, speed, last post, etc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno Bokor wrote:

So had I, apparently.

EDIT:  No I hadn't, but I have now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5936/13723861.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seemed to work ok for me... for example when i wrote this the next topic down the list was "RSS Feeds - <author> and <atom:author>" and the one above it was "New Forum FAQ"... that's what i got when i clicked next and previous from this discussion. that's what i'd expect.

(note that the order of the threads in the forum may have changed before anyone reads this...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seemed to work ok for me... for example when i wrote this the next topic

down the list was "RSS Feeds - <author> and <atom:author>" and the one above

it was "New Forum FAQ"... that's what i got when i clicked next and previous

from this discussion. that's what i'd expect.

It's just the opposite of what I'd expect. There might be a US/UK difference:

I can only understand 'previous' to mean 'earlier', in other words the 'next

topic down the list' as you describe it. It would work for me if the order of

threads was oldest at the top, the same as for posts on a discussion page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines