Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question about moving posts

LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2009 Aug 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again folks.

I can't help but to notice that when someone mistakenly posts in this forum, the post isn't simply moved to the proper venue. Instead, there seems to be a general reply that this isn't the place and sometimes a link to the correct venue is offered. I'm curious to know why you don't simply move the post to the correct venue and be done with it?

Cheers... Rick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of us "folks" don't have the magic powers to move posts.

You rarely see anyone around here who can do that, so we try to help in our own little way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. I thought most everyone here was a moderator in their own forums.

Thanks for the explanation!

Happy Sunday to you... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No way! If I was a Moderator everyone else would leave of their own volition. I wouldn't have to moderate anyone. Although, I am a moderator for the Imtuit Yahoo Group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many Eskimos using Yahoo, are there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly along with others from other parts of country as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yahoo? You mean Microhoo.

PjonesCET wrote:

No way! If I was a Moderator everyone else would leave of their own volition. I wouldn't have to moderate anyone. Although, I am a moderator for the Imtuit Yahoo Group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be. But the head moderator asked if I would be willing to Moderate when he was unavailable. I said sure. I have killed some post that were obvious spam. or abusive. Most are legit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

…I thought most everyone here was a moderator in their own forums…

What an odd and totally unwarranted assumption!  The nature of the posts here is actually pretty obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

…why you don't simply move the post to the correct venue and be done with it?

Let's see…  someone wanders in here by mistake, you move his post, and you expect him to find it again, ever? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Let's see…  someone wanders in here by mistake, you move his post, and you expect him to find it again, ever? 

When there is a reply, there will be an email notification - with a link to the topic/post location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Pat

'

Indeed that's my experience as well.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwillener wrote:

When there is a reply, there will be an email notification - with a link to the topic/post location.

Not if you turned email notifications off —or if Jive has managed to make that the default.

I turned that off as soon as I figured out how and have never seen a further email notfication of any kind.  There were many of us angrily demanding that notifications be turned off by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 03, 2009 Aug 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

pwillener wrote:

Not if you turned email notifications off —or if Jive has managed to make that the default.

I turned that off as soon as I figured out how and have never seen a further email notification of any kind.  There were many of us angrily demanding that notifications be turned off by default.

"There were many of us angrily demanding that notifications be turned off by default."

Yes most of the crew here probably did, because they are all geniuses. However, us folks that are just average though, actually take advantage of the email notifications.

I find going directly to the main page and look for the topics I'm interested or posted in, unnecessary wasteful steps and waste time. I can read all the current topics and decide which I want to reopened to by way of the notifications. Its faster. Just because you can do things one way. Doesn't mean its the fastest way.

Even Apple's help forums have a similar system, of notifications. But in preferences you can choose to have notifications for particular forum, or just questions you post. and you can even unsubscribe to individual messages; it's at the bottom of the subject or your response. They also have a question answered button at top of every response. But there is no awarding of points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

Even Apple's help forums have ... They also have a question answered button at top of every response. But there is no awarding of points.

In the Apple forums, is it possible to mark several posts as answers instead of just one, and can anyone but the OP set marks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Phillip,

Even Apple's help forums have ... They also have a question answered button at top of every response. But there is no awarding of points.

In the Apple forums, is it possible to mark several posts as answers instead of just one, and can anyone but the OP set marks?

Its sort of like this system (only the format used is different)  See as shown below. It appears they have added feature to award Points):

Operapicture001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh. Nothing better to refer to, then.

Thank you, Phillip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just different. not quite as juvenile looking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly, if they s/he is so lost that they aren't certain what forum to post in, I'd be shocked to find that they knew exactly how to locate their post here in this forum if all they had was the forum interface to go on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pavlovian Conditioning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are all underestimating the capacity of newcomers to get lost in the present labyrinth. Frankly, I can't blame them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But there are also hundreds of posts every day (by newcomers) that end up in a perfectly correct forum.

But I also remember a few weeks ago that I had to ask where the Shockwave Player forum was - I couldn't find it myself...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwillener wrote:

But I also remember a few weeks ago that I had to ask where the Shockwave Player forum was - I couldn't find it myself...

But you found the Shocked smiley OK! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwillener wrote:

But there are also hundreds of posts every day (by newcomers) that end up in a perfectly correct forum.

Yes, the majority of users find their way.  But there will always be those who are one can short of a sixpack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you find yourself better than anyone else on the Planet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines