• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question Answered & over enthusiastic hosts / moderators

Engaged ,
Jun 12, 2009 Jun 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apart from this whole mess of abuse report and perfectly innocent posts getting deleted, we also have the problem of hosts moderators deciding on the poster's behalf if questions have been answered! Crikey!

I posted a query in the DW forum. Ploughed my way through the search... found a couple of solutions from a particular ACE and posted those findings back with my comments on whether they were working or not.

My third post (including the OP) was to the tune that on a quick and dirty test the last solution seemed to be working and describing what it was doing. No way, as far as i was concerned was the problem completely resolved.

Lo and behold! This morning i see the thread marked answered! "Ididn't do that", says me. Open it and at the top it says, "Possibly answered". The moderator has a comment that as i seem to have found the answer he's marking it 'Possibly answered'. Freaked! But politely asked said moderator to kindly unmark it and i would mark it when i was satisfied.

What is going on? And, the thread was only started last night, my time. It's not that it's been hanging around for days or weeks.I'm still hoping that the guy whose tips i followed would look in. Seeing it answered he mayn't bother.

This whole Question / Answer excreta should be scrapped ASAP.

JJ

PS: Just checked and the host / moderator has had the courtesy to revert the post to 'Unanswered'. However, it shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Jun 21, 2009 Jun 21, 2009

Don't say that! I'm on the home straight to become a 2-blobber, bought a new frock, booked a hairdo and manicure and I'm working on the banner to put up across my drive so the neighbours will know!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2009 Jun 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, it seems any reply to a first post sets a flag for possibly answered. Only a OP can set a post to answered. A host can only set a thread to assumed answered-which is rarely done by moderators in the forums I visit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 13, 2009 Jun 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeKazlow wrote:

Alas, it seems any reply to a first post sets a flag for possibly answered. Only a OP can set a post to answered. A host can only set a thread to assumed answered-which is rarely done by moderators in the forums I visit.

Mike,

Mea Culpa... i misquoted... it wasn't 'Possibly', it was, "Assumed Answered". As to the second half of your second sentence, that's much better... but i think only the OP should have the right to mark it a question any kind of Answered. If he/she chooses not to mar it, so be it. In any case, an answer that's right for you, may not be right for me. Subsequent to my complaint, and removal of the tick mark, i've had a couple of other interesting and relevant posts and solutions from experienced DW users. I doubt if they'd have looked in if the topic had the 'tick' mark.

All of the above is even more reason to do away with the "Correct Aswer" nonsense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 19, 2009 Jun 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wish some of these over enthusiastic moderators wouldn't go zipping through forums marking questions "Assumed Answered". Even if it seems answered, it's the OP's thread and his/her right to choose to mark it answered or not. And, what's the big deal if it's left unanswered? Do the forum moderators/hosts want to see a nice line of tick marks?

Just wish they'd do away with this whole 'Correct Answer' and points business....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 20, 2009 Jun 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its my understanding that the possibly answered feature is hard wired in. Even if all someone does is repply "hi", or "." .

It set to trigger this as soon as someone  gives any reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Its my understanding that the possibly answered feature is hard wired in. Even if all someone does is repply "hi", or "." .

It set to trigger this as soon as someone  gives any reply.

Phillip,

no one's talking abou the hard-wired "Possibly Answered" feature. It's forum hosts over-stepping themselves to mark posts "Assumed Answered" which shows with a 'tick' in the forum topic list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JayJhabrix wrote:

It's forum hosts over-stepping themselves to mark posts "Assumed Answered" which shows with a 'tick' in the forum topic list.

Who says it's forum hosts?  The OP can always retrospectively mark a question as answered without awarding points – I've done it myself.

Let's not get paranoiac!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

Who says it's forum hosts?  The OP can always retrospectively mark a question as answered without awarding points – I've done it myself.

Let's not get paranoiac!

Before you start leaping around like a fish out of water, please note that no one's getting paranoic. It's forum hosts / moderators marking posts as "Assumed Answered". That's what i said. You as a poster cannot mark your thread as "Assumed Answered".  Please also note that i have mentioned that they have stated as much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JayJhabrix wrote:

It's forum hosts / moderators marking posts as "Assumed Answered". That's what i said. You as a poster cannot mark your thread as "Assumed Answered".  Please also note that i have mentioned that they have stated as much.

Oh I see. I have never noticed a question marked as "Assumed Answered".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

Oh I see. I have never noticed a question marked as "Assumed Answered".

It happens only when a moderator/host marks it as such. In the topics list it shows up as an 'answered' question. That can be misleading... which is why i object to it. In my first post i mentioned a host who'd done that to a question of mine. I asked him to revert it to unanswered status... which he did. I got several interesting posts after that in reply. The point is, i doubt if the posters would have responded if they'd seen the question as answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2009 Jun 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got to agree on this.  No one but the OP should be allowed to designate the visible answered status.  I've seen it done a few times in postings which a moderator provided the answers that were "Assumed Answered" to the OP's concerns.  In one case, the OP asked how to use the subject software to do something, but a moderator explained how to do it manually, and I would assume the same moderator opted to designate that response as fulfilling the OP's request, which it did not.... but that happens alot in that particular forum (giving the maunal answer rather than the how to use the software one).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Ned we don't need no stinkin' points or answered stars. they are most unhelpful in this forum, and should be done away with. Stupid Jived Up Forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read something I didn't write?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buko. wrote:

Sorry Ned we don't need no stinkin' points or answered stars. they are most unhelpful in this forum, and should be done away with. Stupid Jived Up Forum.

Hey Buko...

I don't think you read Ned's answer thru – properly. He's commenting positively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well OK, but we still don't need no stinkin' point system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't say that! I'm on the home straight to become a 2-blobber, bought a new frock, booked a hairdo and manicure and I'm working on the banner to put up across my drive so the neighbours will know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

Okay Kath...

You Kath you get the 15... for an unassailable answer!

Oops sorry... 10...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooh thank you, I feel so special

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

I got my second the other day so, WHERE'S MY FLUFFYKITTEN T_SHIRT?!?!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they are trying to force the star points issue. Instead of accepting the fact that it is useless the mods have probably been told to make it look like the Answered star and point system are working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The boss stated to the young executive that he wants him to correct the problem of people not being helped with correct answers in the forums. The simple fix is to mark everything, as much as possible, as corrected to make things look good and to get the boss of the executives back. I have seen simular situations corrected like that before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buko. wrote:

they are trying to force the star points issue. Instead of accepting the fact that it is useless the mods have probably been told to make it look like the Answered star and point system are working.

You're probably right! But why would some senior guys be leaping around doing this? And, i'm talking real veterans. The only thing i can think is that this whole number has gone to their heads. Playing cop or god can be a real turn on for some people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 22, 2009 Jun 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well It seems that my dislike of zeno's heavy handed hosting has gotten my threads deleted. It seems those iron curtain habits never change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As we keep saying... And, in the old webx i don't remember the hosts being so heavy handed???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JayJhabrix wrote:

As we keep saying... And, in the old webx i don't remember the hosts being so heavy handed???

to paraphrase: anonymity breeds contempt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines