Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Popular" discussions?

LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2010 Apr 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G'day

On this screen - http://forums.adobe.com/community/coldfusion - there is a box claiming to list "Popular Discussions".  Within that box, there's an item "Directory Watcher question" (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/432985) listed.  When looking at that discussion, one sees this info:

1 Replies  Last post: May 15, 2009 2:50 PM

Could you please advise what your definition of "popular" is?  It does not match mine 😉

BTW: "1 replies" are quite nice grammars.

--

Adam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 06, 2010 Apr 06, 2010

You would have to ask Jive for their method of determining the popular discussions (there is some background info at http://www.jivesoftware.com/jivespace/blogs/jivespace/2008/09/04/how-popularity-works-in-clearspace). Looking at that one, it might be because it has 2600+ page views. Even though there aren't a lot of replies, it is being clicked on more than many other discussions.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would have to ask Jive for their method of determining the popular discussions (there is some background info at http://www.jivesoftware.com/jivespace/blogs/jivespace/2008/09/04/how-popularity-works-in-clearspace). Looking at that one, it might be because it has 2600+ page views. Even though there aren't a lot of replies, it is being clicked on more than many other discussions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see.

Surely that makes it one of the least popular discussions?  2600 people have looked at it, and only one has bothered to respond: not exactly what I'd call "popular".

Still: as alluded to elsewhere... this is not exactly a surprise given the forum software being used.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam,

Just as with "beauty," different folk have different ideas of "popularity."

Back in high school, a particular young lady won "Most Popular Student." She was not a cheerleader, a majorette, on any drill team, was a bit plain looking by the standards of that day, belonged to several groups and organizations, that were considered "geeky," even in th '60s. Still, she had an inner glow and warmth that was beyond question. She was the ultimate choice for that award. I feel that by contemporary standards, she would not have even been allowed to be nominated. [Note that I do not feel that Jive is using any such criteria.]

I had never paid much attention to that "Popular Discussions" list in the past, as I tend to read all threads in the product fora, where I hang out, or will look for "answers," rather than some definition of "popularity." After this post, I will pay more attention to such things. Good question!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it was agreed by all a long time ago that these windows of jive-calculated rubbish should be ignored, as they were generated by some weird logic that had nothing to do with Adobe products and were often totally misleading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree: the number of Views seems to be the (most important part of the) basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this thread is going to make that count go even higher.

[Content removed because it violates our adobe.com Terms of Use as well as our Adobe Community Guidelines.]

By their logic of equating views with popularity (instead of replies), someone could post an off topic spam post with an attractive or misleading title and it'd end up the "most popular" -- even if the title of the post had nothing to do with the content.  Only the replies and actual conversation reflect the true popularity of a "discussion".  So some irrelevant spam post, once on the most popular list, would get an even larger boost in views.

[content removed]

Message was edited by Jochem van Dieten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[content removed] reason #125123.

Surely we've managed to come up with more reasons than that?

--

Adam

Message was edited by Jochem van Dieten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2010 Apr 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A Cameron wrote:

[[content removed]] reason #125123.

Surely we've managed to come up with more reasons than that?

--

Adam

Sorry, missed a 9 in there somewhere.

Message was edited by: Jochem van Dieten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines