• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Quote" handling for IE10 getting irritating!

LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2012 Mar 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

This week I'm immersing myself in a Windows 8 Consumer Preview, IE10 equipped virtual machine, and trying to use everything there without using my host Windows 7 system at all.  I'm evaluating Photoshop CS6 as well in that system, and so far everything is going very well.  I'm actually able to use Windows 8, with a bunch of tweaks to make it into a serious OS.

But one niggling little irritation remains, and I know of no workaround: 

Using this forum with Internet Explorer 10 and trying to put quotes around things results in this:

"XXXXXX"

When I type the text XXXXXX above, I simply typed double quote characters in front and back.  This is what it looked like in the editor:

DoubleQuotes.jpg

Please ask the Jive developers to fix this. 

Virtually all other sites handle double quotes properly with IE10, and as you can see even this Jive software gets it right in the thread subject.

Thanks!

-Noel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2012 Mar 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel

Curiosity question here. Why would it matter if the HTML entities were used as long as things display correctly?

As a side note, I'm not sure Adobe holds any sway over Jive. It's like us "telling Adobe" they need to fix something in Photoshop. It might happen and it might not. Most likely might not unless it was already on their scope of things to be fixed. Then it would be a total fluke that we requested and saw what appeared to be a quick fix.

Just wondering... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2012 Mar 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're missing the point - things are clearly NOT being displayed correctly.  You can see that clearly from the large text I posted above.

Never underestimate the power of asking for legitimate improvements.  At least doing so might push a fix higher on the list, and at best it's possible no one has yet noticed.  Most people nowadays are either so busy or so inundated with glitz that subtle things often get missed.  Sometimes even not so subtle things

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" Still broken. "

I believe the number of people running Windows 8 now is in the tens of millions.  Internet Explorer 10 is going to be released for Windows 7 soon as well.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2012 Jul 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"3+ Months Have Passed"

Nobody at Adobe even running Windows 8 in a VM?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For most people who regularly look at HTML code, "XXXXXX" and "XXXXXX" looks identical

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, do you not see the " text showing in my posts above?  I typed those in just using the double quote key on the keyboard.  This isn't proper functionality.

Or are you just being cute?  If so, good joke! 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2012 Jul 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was trying to be cute - glad you caught me

But as Claudio asks, shouldn't they also behave identically?

Yes, if the code entered is indeed (I may have to resort to some tricks now)

"XXXXXX"

then any browser sould display it as "XXXXXX".  But if IE10 somehow manages to write that as

&quot&#59;XXXXXX&quot&#59;

Then the outcome will be what you see.

I do not have IE10; can you do some tests by entering some quoted text, then view it in the HTML editor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, here's a quoted string:  "ABC"

Here's what it looks like in the HTML editor:

Quoted.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now let me try the same thing with Firefox: "ABC"

The HTML editor shows:

<body><p>Now let me try the same thing with Firefox: "ABC"</p>

</body>

Now I will add a quoted string using the quot HTML entity in the HTML editor: "ABC" - it reverted to normal quotes in the standard editor.

This all does not make any sense to me; it's like the Jive editor is testing if 'MSIE 10' then act strangely.

P.S. looking at the page source after posting, your string shows as

&quot;ABC&quot;

mine does

"ABC"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some tests using IE10 to follow...

Testing in Browser Mode: IE10  Document Mode:  IE9 standards:

"Quoted String"

Notably I'm having trouble even just hitting enter to open a new line.  Shift Enter works.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Browser Mode:  IE9  Document Mode:  IE9 standards

"Quoted String"

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something's wrong with this site today - responses are intermittent - which is completely muddying the water with my testing.  From the above it looks as though in some cases it's possible to get proper quotes when using the IE10 browser, but sometimes not.

Browser Mode:  IE10  Document Mode IE9 Standards

"Quoted String"

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that forcing the Document Mode to IE9 Standards corrects the "quotes" problem, but introduces problems with hitting Enter to open new lines at the end of a post.  Argh.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Browser Mode:  IE9  Document Mode: IE7 Standards

&quot;Quoted&quot;

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One last try...   IE10 Compatibility View  Document Mode IE8 Standards

&quot;Quoted String&quot;

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lied - another combination to try:  Browser Mode:  IE10  DOcument Mode:  Standards

Bah, Enter doesn't work in this mode.  That probably says that "quotes" will work.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And all these things occur only here in the forum editor, not anywhere else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, this is the only place.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sending this along to the Adobe and Jive folks, but realize that Jive uses a 3rd party editor, TinyMCE, so I don't know how much control either will have over making changes to the editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  It seems like SOMEONE should be responsible for making it work on the browser that's likely to become one of the most used in the world fairly soon, don't you think? 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2012 Oct 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Windows 8 is out, and here I am typing again on IE10 to see if quoted text works any better than before.

Single double-quote characters surrounded the following text when I typed it:

&quot;quoted text&quot;

Guys, you think you might want to fix this one day?  Or do you think Windows 8 is just going to flop?  Admittedly that's a thought that warms my heart, but possibly unrealistic.

Actually, my own October web site stats show that 1 in 30 IE users is now running IE10, and that IE has about 30% of users overall.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not care about Windows 8; without actually having seen it, I am sure it will go the way of ME and Vista.

However, as far as I know, IE10 will be made available on Windows 7 soon.  So I think this is a good time to address this bug.

On the other hand, as I wrote earlier, &quot; and " looks identical to my eyes.  (But I know not everyone has a HTML rendering engine in their brain.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener wrote:

For most people who regularly look at HTML code, &quot;XXXXXX&quot; and "XXXXXX" looks identical

Shouldn't they also then behave identically?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt that since it ws just offered for download for about a week maybe less. And from My PC buddies they consider 8 cra. and won't be updating anytime soon.

I know some people still using XP. a Cousin of mine  still use XP. In fact I have several Cousins still using XP.

But your problem Should still be fixed.

Let's see if your problem show up when I type in SeaMonkey Mac.

"XXXXXXX"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines