Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"This thread is locked"

Participant ,
Oct 16, 2009 Oct 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem:

There was no need to take that action, and to inform the OP of the "Virtual Machine" thread that you had done so.

That was both extremely rude  and totally unnecessary because the Thread would have ended naturally — probably after the OP had thanked people for their help.

This was yet another example of why so many of us feel that you are not suited to the job of "Moderator".

What you have to learn is that you are seen by Adobe's Customers as part of "Customer Service" and acting as you did just helps to build resentment against Adobe at a time when they have every reason to be concerned about the appalling standard of their "Customer Service".

This Forum has no need for this over-bearing form of "Moderation" — a Forum HOST, with a friendly demeanor and some real knowledge of technical issues (and without a meaningless "Community Expert" badge!) might be a different matter.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Shelbourne wrote:

Jochem:

<snipped>

This was yet another example of why so many of us feel that you are not suited to the job of "Moderator".

This Forum has no need for this over-bearing form of "Moderation" — a Forum HOST, with a friendly demeanor and some real knowledge of technical issues (and without a meaningless "Community Expert" badge!) might be a different matter.

Good one!

Ann Shelbourne wrote:

<snipped>

What you have to learn is that you are seen by Adobe's Customers as part of "Customer Service" and acting as you did just helps to build resentment against Adobe at a time when they have every reason to be concerned about the appalling standard of their "Customer Service".

<snipped>

It's like beating your head against a stone wall... they just don't seem to get it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Shelbourne wrote on 10/16/2009 5:46 PM:

There was no need to take that action, and to inform the OP of the "Virtual Machine" thread that you had done so.

So I should not have informed anybody?

That was both extremely rude

Why?

and totally unnecessary because the Thread would have ended naturally — probably after the OP had thanked people for their help.

Help? Who provided help in that thread?

All I see is a bunch of nonsense without anybody willing to touch the

core issue that you can not distinguish a VM from a physical one from

inside the VM without help from ring 0, so that any licensing based on

IP addresses and distinguishing VMs is never going to work. Not to

mention that on a remote desktop environment (Citrix, Terminal Server

etc.) we are not even talking about different machines, but multiple

people are using the same machine and hence the same IP address. Or in a

NAT environment multiple systems can have the same IP address without

being VMs.

The licensing whatever from the OP is fundamentally wrong and the

answers provided in the thread make it painfully obvious that this is

neither the venue nor the audience to discuss that problem.

The way I see it I did the OP a service by cutting of any more clueless

answers, pointing in the direction of a more knowledgeable audience and

widening the scope to include options that stand a chance of actually

working.

The only person with real technical knowledge relevant to the forums

operation I see participating in this forum is me (although there are

some others with an email subscription). Photoshop, Indesign, Premiere,

Illustrator etc. skills are as relevant to the technical issues of this

forum as Java programing, Unix administration, database management,

networking and internet protocols are to print or video publishing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if you said it it must be correct – so I give up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

All I see is a bunch of nonsense without anybody willing to touch the

core issue that you can not distinguish a VM from a physical one from

inside the VM without help from ring 0, so that any licensing based on

IP addresses and distinguishing VMs is never going to work. Not to

mention that on a remote desktop environment (Citrix, Terminal Server

etc.) we are not even talking about different machines, but multiple

people are using the same machine and hence the same IP address. Or in a

NAT environment multiple systems can have the same IP address without

being VMs.

Sure about that?  Based on what I've been told that isn't necessarily the case.  But in any case, if you're so knowledgeable why didn't you help the OP in the first place?  They were already advised that they were asking the question in a completely wrong location, if someone takes anything here as gospel after being told that, it's their own fault.

The only person with real technical knowledge relevant to the forums

operation I see participating in this forum is me (although there are

some others with an email subscription).

So delete or ban everyone else and have conversations with yourself.  Or better yet, just delete the entire forum since nobody else here has the 'real technical knowledge relevant to the forums operation' anyway.  It's not completely true, but...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

Ann Shelbourne wrote on 10/16/2009 5:46 PM:

<snipped for verbosity / irrelevance to my reply>

Actually, what a 'good' moderator would have done was:

1/ Either post your own thoughts on the subject – as you did in your reply to Ann

Or

2/ Keep quiet

And then, gently and politely guide the OP to an area where he/she could get an answer within these forums or, as Dec9 did, provide links that would give answers.

I think, what you fail to realise is that forums are primarily meant to be helpful. Off or on topic (vis-a-vis) a particular forum is a secondary issue.

Most people (apart from old users) think these are 'HELP' forums maintained by Adobe. They, therefore consider a lot of answers posted here to be from Adobe staff... particularly when they see the 'Community Expert' tag.

This has been further compounded by Adobe removing the "User-to-user Forums" tag. (Additionally, most other forums on a corporate / vendor site are monitored by the Company's personnel.)

Just locking a thread at this stage makes no sense... it also prevents the OP from coming back to thank those who replied or ask for a further direction. So you will say, "Further direction on this subject is not a part of this Forum's charter". That's where you and the rest of us seem to differ. We have a 'Help all' attitude whereas you seem to have a "Do it my way or else..." attitude. This last does not engender a happy forum. However, if your intention is to kill the forum, all i can say is that you seem to be doing a very good job.

If you would just relax a bit and take a step back, i am sure things in this forum would also improve markedly. At the moment, with the exception of other 'moderators' a very few 'users' all you are achieving is the creation of a negative reaction in the attitude of the regulars who post here.

Edited by shunithD to get rid of the ridiculous Jive formatting bugs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shunithD wrote on 10/16/2009 7:35 PM:

>> 1/ Either post your own thoughts on the subject – as you did in your reply to Ann

I am aware I could have entered into a question - answer sequence with

the OP that might eventually have led to a better outcome for the OP. I

didn't have time for that and the alternative, to

>> 2/ Keep quiet

, seemed like a worse option considering the quality of the answers

being provided. So I merged two of my answer templates and locked the

thread.

>> I think, what you fail to realise is that forums are primarily meant to be helpful.

And I maintain I was being helpful.

If you would just relax a bit and take a step back

I am taking steps back all the time. Just about every other day I let a

thread slip (sometimes on purpose, lately because I am just busy) and

just watch how people respond. And inevitably people will start posting

nonsense in those threads, after which I step in.

At the moment, with the exception of other 'moderators' a very few 'users' all you are achieving is the creation of a negative reaction in the attitude of the regulars who post here.

Those regulars need to make up their minds. If they want a forum with

less moderation, they need to show they can be trusted with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile we have shunithD who is not a forum "regular" or long time forum user, yet has already made many of the same observations and come to similar conclusions as the "biased and hateful regulars" here... how many people will it take before it's clear that this is not moderation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

Meanwhile we have shunithD who is not a forum "regular" or long time forum user

He isn't?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The name is new.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

The name is new.  

I don't need to really explain, but just to put the record straight... actually, may seem new but is not / am not... and not an alias either... have been here since 1999/2000... problem was i was mainly / purely an NNTP user... when the new forums got created i kind of lost my original id... may have been just 'shunith' or my full name... also, was probably an old email id i junked in 2005... hence couldn't get my original back...

anyway... had to create this new id in May...

Edit: However... have only recently started revisiting the forums...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 19, 2009 Oct 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shunithD wrote:

I don't need to really explain, but just to put the record straight... actually, may seem new but is not / am not... and not an alias either... have been here since 1999/2000... problem was i was mainly / purely an NNTP user... when the new forums got created i kind of lost my original id... may have been just 'shunith' or my full name... also, was probably an old email id i junked in 2005... hence couldn't get my original back...

anyway... had to create this new id in May...

Edit: However... have only recently started revisiting the forums...

My observation still stands, in that case. Here we have a "new" jiveboard* user (still new to Jiveware if you had <50 posts a few weeks ago!) who has observed the same things the "regulars" here in this jiveboard* have observed, after extensively subjecting ourselves to the pain of the jiveboard* and the software running it.

*I refuse to refer to this place as a true web "forum" since it clearly does not fulfill the requirements expected of functional web forum software as of 2009.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 19, 2009 Oct 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

My observation still stands, in that case. Here we have a "new" jiveboard* user (still new to Jiveware if you had <50 posts a few weeks ago!) who has observed the same things the "regulars" here in this jiveboard* have observed, after extensively subjecting ourselves to the pain of the jiveboard* and the software running it.

*I refuse to refer to this place as a true web "forum" since it clearly does not fulfill the requirements expected of functional web forum software as of 2009.

Well, i agree with you... spent a while just catching up on the topics and mood before i started posting... All i can say, is that i've seen better... but doubt, very much, if i've seen worse. Caveat: Except for some fly-by-nighters where one drifted in by mistake...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 20, 2009 Oct 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been out of the loop for a while, and now just catching up on things, at least with this thread, thanks to Ann bringing me up to speed a little. I only want to say how much I miss the old forums and the years of helpful interactions we shared. Surely we had lots of ups and downs, and I myself sometimes got caught in a whirlwind of emotions at times, but overall there was genuine learning, problem solving, and overall camaraderie taking place. I made progress in my business due to the interaction which took place in the Mac Photoshop, GoLive, InDesign, Illustrator and Photography Forums. In a way I owe a debt of gratitude to so many who used to tolerate my endless trouble-shooting, hardware/software questions and slowness to catch on with photography issues.

I guess I have nothing to say in regard to this particular situation since I was not a part of it, but I did want to add my thoughts just the same.

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes it is hard to let go of the past when there is nothing to look forward to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plenty to look forward to for me... and thankfully lots of work. But these software forums have been valuable for so many. It would be nice if they could have remained as they were. Apparently we've lost a lot of good people through all these changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LRK 2 wrote:

Apparently we've lost a lot of good people through all these changes.

Oh I wouldn't say a lot of good people....

... Just 99% of them!       

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LRK 2 wrote:

It would be nice if they could have remained as they were. Apparently we've lost a lot of good people through all these changes.

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately the creators are so full of themselves they can't admit the mistake and rectify it.

Nice to see you Ann.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, your new work orders are fantastic!!

Was as if someone tossed a rock at the lightbulb. Poof: the lights went out and lots of people left. The change just sucked the life out of the forum camaraderieship (as you wrote above). Sad indeed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dec9 wrote:

Yes, your new work orders are fantastic!!

Was as if someone tossed a rock at the lightbulb. Poof: the lights went out and lots of people left. The change just sucked the life out of the forum camaraderieship (as you wrote above). Sad indeed

LOL! Not sure who you are but I take it you are just having a little fun. You are funny anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linda,

It's wonderful to see you around these parts, only if it's for a minute or two.    I do so  miss the friendships too. 

hopper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Hopper. It's a pleasure to see you as well... and Cindy... Seems I get this week off as I recover from the Maine Trip I actually took! And shot some of those "Donald" Lighthouses we talked about a while back. I only wish we all could have met up as we once talked about. Maybe next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If when you get some of those pics "edited", I would love to see them!  Please email me, we've a LOT to catch up on! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

If when you get some of those pics "edited", I would love to see them!  Please email me, we've a LOT to catch up on! 

Will do. Have processed a few from each destination. I'll send some of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines