• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re: searching question

Mentor ,
Apr 10, 2009 Apr 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am on a Mac. A PowerBook 1.67GB 17" and I find all the forums much slower on this new system.

Part of the problem is merging the two server systems together The Old Macromedia users and the old adobe Groups together. Therefore the are serving twice as many people or more on the same amount of Server  equipment. Until they beef up the speed, and size of the servers and have sattelite equipment to lighten the load the system will always be slower than before.

The system should be on the highest speed sytem they can get . T5, FOIS, whatever.  And it should have the bigest hard drives and fastest processor availble. If the want to be serious.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Therefore the are serving twice as many people or more on the same amount of Server  equipment.

And you know that how?

You got an in somewhere that tells you these golden nuggets of wisdom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was the specific reason for combining the Forums so that they didn't have to run two different systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That wasn't my question.

I mean, how do you know that they are serving twice as many people or more on the same amount of Server  equipment? How do you know that they aren't using more server equipment?

You work for them now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Philip should have a Community Expert badge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He'd be my number one choice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To the best of my knowledge (which may well be wrong with respect to the Jive forums): the WebX forums were hosted by WebX and the Jive forums are being hosted by Jive. I have no clue to the number of servers being used. The number of servers being used is irrelevant since the software is so completely different. WebX tried to keep track of every thread any user ever read that was still available. That must have been a tremendous load on the system.

These new forums are being fine tuned and tweaked as needed. As users we need to report the issues we see that are important to us. Hopefully, performance and capabilities can be adjusted to meet our needs. The emphasis is on the word hopefully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems logical. If you have two disparte systems one runing WebX for Adobe Forums.

Then the Cold Fusion system used for the Macromedia Forums.That equipment was taken in with the takeover of MacroMedia.

Odds are that the equipment for the coldfusion system needed updating.

So you had two different server systems .

Now with this new system gives Adobe an excuse to cut some over head So they either moved everything to the The servers used for WebX or for ColdFusion but not likely both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try to stay out of these things, but where does this come from???

Web Crossing ran at Web Crossing on their servers.

FuseTalk ran at Adobe on our servers

Jive runs at Jive on brand new equipment, purchased within the last month or so.

There is no relationship between the three systems other than that data was exported from the old systems and imported into the new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Cornicello wrote:

I try to stay out of these things, but where does this come from???

LOL John. You'll get used to it. He's had some real whoppers over the time he's been here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so I got the name of the sytem and servers wrong. But they fact is still shown by your post. That two different systems of Forums were combined on one systems Server Therefore the trafic will be larger on this one system. Than on the two separate sytems.

So my comment is still valid, though the names of the servers and systems are different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the world of moving goalposts folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep I agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 12, 2009 Apr 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like that ... except it's not just the goalposts, the entire field seems to have shifted... way out of left field?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

So my comment is still valid completely uninformed guesswork, though the names of the servers and systems are different.

There. Fixed that for ya.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graf, better spend that time in loading your photo in your profile. The one in your avatar looks ways too small on my screen to get any idea of the face behind the dark glasses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just haven't gotten that far yet. I figured I'd pop a little avatar on there for now.

Besides, no one wants to see my photo any bigger than that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry, I don't want to use it as wallpaper, but associating a name with a face is better that addressing just a name...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio, are you going to upload your avatar into the production system?

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure. Are you? In any case, my photo is in my profile while yours isn't...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dupplicate smiley in my previous message is a result of the lightning speed of the new forums. I chose it for a second time when nothing appeared on my screen several seconds after choosing the first. And I finally posted my message convinced that I couldn't attach a smiley to it due to another temporary glitch...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That particular one can be typed with just two characters, : P with no space between them =

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2009 Apr 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, Mark; I didn't know this one. It will save me the uncertainty of knowing if I have inserted an emoticon or not. I have just tried inserting one, and waited for 20 seconds without anything happening on my screen, so I erased the complete phrase and I am repeating my test now here: 30 seconds and nothing. Now with another one, just in case: again 30 seconds and nothing.

Your way after this phrase, and I hope I will remember it 😛

And still nothing on my screen where I tried to insert the smilies...

Addition: as can be seen, the emoticons appeared when I posted my message; and 😛 didn't work. Anyone else experiencing this?

Second addition: afyter posting, I'm taken back to the first message in the thread, and not to my just posted message. A very unpleasant step backwards.

Message was edited by: Claudio González. Reason: two after post additions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

I just haven't gotten that far yet. I figured I'd pop a little avatar on there for now.

Besides, no one wants to see my photo any bigger than that.

Looks kinda like Jack Nicholson from this distance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2009 Apr 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realized I have hardly any photos of myself not wearing sunglasses. I guess that's a good sign?

Alright it's there and I look nothing like Jack Nicholson. Not that there's anyhting wrong with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines