Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Real name instead of Screen name displayed

Community Expert ,
May 03, 2014 May 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since the recent change in the UI of these Jive forums, suddenly my real name 'Lieve Weymeis' is displayed instead of my much better known screen name 'Lilybiri' in the Captivate community. This is not the case for the other participants. I checked my Preferences, and they seem to be correct: screen name visible to everyone, not real name.

Can you help me out?

Lieve Weymeis AKA Lilybiri

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 04, 2014 May 04, 2014

When you're logged in - YOU see your real name.

Everyone else always sees your screen name.

No it doesn't make any sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it works correctly now.  I also saw my real name earlier today and my first thought was to check my profile to see if anything else is changed.  Some two years ago, somebody was messing around with my profile until I complained about him.

It works fine now for me but who knows they might change it again.  these forums are still a work in progress and it will take a few days before everything settles down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH wrote too early.  It does posts real name and so screen name is ignored.  What a stupid idea this is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what you see...  I see your name as mytaxsite.co.uk and the op's name as Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 04, 2014 May 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you're logged in - YOU see your real name.

Everyone else always sees your screen name.

No it doesn't make any sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2014 May 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is very strange, indeed. I was not signed in today, and still did see my real name. Thanks for letting me know that you are seeing my screenname.

Apparenltly all previous mail settings are lost as well, I don't get any mail from any forum at this moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2014 May 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri wrote:

That is very strange, indeed. I was not signed in today, and still did see my real name. Thanks for letting me know that you are seeing my screenname.

@Lilybiri – Hmm, Now I'm not signed in and can see my real name. Not everywhere, but in the People section.

Personally, that doesn't matter much to me in this case, but I think other people could think very different.

ICanSeeMyselfDespiteNOTLoggedIn.png

Or does the site set a session cookie and I could be recognized and my real name is shown because of that?

No. It cannot be. Used a different browser and can see the same.

It might be something totally different, of course 😉

One cannot escape oneself 😉

Ah. Miracle solved. On this screenshot above the website is showing "Sign In". But for a different forum, eg. the InDesign Scripting Forum, I'm logged in. So with this new Jive 7 software you cannot be sure by sight, if you are logged in or logged out.

Hm, hm, but why then does the role-over with my real name screw up my status and showing 0 points?

Something between? Logged In vs Logged Out ???

This Jive7 software is very, very weird…

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I'm not signed in and can see my real name. Not everywhere, but in the People section.

I only see this in your profile (which happens to be your screen name AFAIKS):

2014-05-13_1729.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. My screen name in the past was simply "Laubender", not "Uwe Laubender" as the profile in the left lower corner indicates and before Jive7 took over. But, hey, that's fine now (at least for me)…

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here the "proof":

ScreenNameLaubender.png

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe - that's because you had set your privacy options to Real Name visible to = Everyone. I've reset it for you, and now you're just 'Laubender' on your posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Merchant,

Let me give credit where credit is due.  You are an exceptional MVP and without a doubt one of the most helpful contributor to these forums.  I'm sure Uwe appreciates you too,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dave – thank you very much. Must have done it while playing around with the controls? And forgot abour it?!

Shame on me…

Ok, next time you see me under my full name it will be deliberate…

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2014 Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I might have set my privacy options to Real Name visible to = Everyone. How do I find this to reset it?  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2014 Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are shown as T the K:

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 2.31.26 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2014 Jun 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you're OK - it's set to "Yourself".

Settings are via your user menu - click your avatar on the black bar along the top of the page, then choose "Edit Communities Profile" - there are three tabbed sections displayed (avatars, profile, privacy) and it's the privacy tab you want. There's actually a tool on the right side of the profile edit page which will show you how you appear to other people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2014 Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  You would think that will all the concerns about FaceBook and other sites this would have been straightforward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell me where I can find this reset option?  It should have been the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind.  I figured it out from someone else's post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eboda User wrote:

Never mind.  I figured it out from someone else's post.

Kinda slow, what?  It has been explained numerous times in the last fifty-something posts, including mine:  just log out to see how others see you.  😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No apologies for having little faith in Adobe's say-so.  I wanted confirmation.  Thank goodness I learned to express myself without attacking people personally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would have been better if you had taught yourself the meaning of sanctimoniousness.

You could have logged out and verified the information you had received in one tenth of the time it took you to write even half of your posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your opinion is not important to me.  I appreciate the other users who posted useful, responsive answers. The issues in the set up of the privacy controls in this forum are unusually confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2014 Jun 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point of my clarifications seems lost on you.  It is not my opinion that I've offered you but an objective, verifiable fact:

Ever since the Macromedia merger years ago, Adobe has become an unresponsive bureaucracy that sees its customers in an adversarial relationship.  They truly couldn't care less about how their customers view the corporation.  In the case of these forums, their history speaks for itself.

That's all I need to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2014 Jun 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that a couple of contributors are using this thread to throw abuse at each other.  It isn't pleasant!

I am with people like Eboda User.  I am not an expert by any means and I am I will admit I am very slow on the uptake, but I want to learn and I may need many clarifications before I am confident to proceed.  I need to have my hand held occasionally and to be stepped through what I feel sometimes is quite a daunting process.  I just try my best and if I can help anybody in my particular field, I try to show them the same patience and respect that I would like to think I would get.

I cannot be doing with so called "experts" who use their knowledge as some sort of over bearing weapon - that is just a form of bullying which is shameful.

I am a member of many website forums.  They are in the most part a reliable way of solving problems.  I need them to help me become more knowledgeable - we all have to start from somewhere.  Thank goodness that we have this facility to help each other, because the manufacturers don't seem to want to help.  What we don't need are jargon fuelled geeks who try to get one over on lesser mortals.

We all have our own areas of expertise.  I don't want to give a phycology lesson but generally when these sort of people (geeks) are out of their depth, they go very much on the defensive and pretend they know more than they do in an effort to impress - very dangerous!

Last night my Blackberry was dinging constantly receiving a myriad of email notifications from this thread.  Surely this facility is here to help each other, not to throw rude comments and abuse.  From what I have seen from this experience, I feel like giving up - I have not seen anything quite as bad as this.

For goodness sake, let's get back to the issue in hand, which by now surely is resolved.

Everybody go off and get a cold shower and chill out!

That's me finished!   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines