Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Real name instead of Screen name displayed

Community Expert ,
May 03, 2014 May 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since the recent change in the UI of these Jive forums, suddenly my real name 'Lieve Weymeis' is displayed instead of my much better known screen name 'Lilybiri' in the Captivate community. This is not the case for the other participants. I checked my Preferences, and they seem to be correct: screen name visible to everyone, not real name.

Can you help me out?

Lieve Weymeis AKA Lilybiri

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 04, 2014 May 04, 2014

When you're logged in - YOU see your real name.

Everyone else always sees your screen name.

No it doesn't make any sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2014 Jun 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't attacked anyone.  I'm certainly not an expert, but by no means am I slow on the uptake. Normally, I'm able to get a response to a software question with a 5-minute Google Search.  I've had a lot of problems with Adobe in general recently and with this forum in particular.  I've already explained in detail the issues.  If I'm not confident about the correctness or freshness of the information I seek confirmation.  Before coming to this forum I'd sought an answer to a simple question about Adobe software on and off for the last several months but there was no information available.  Other consumers had the same question.  The Adobe person I spoke to on the Chat Service yesterday wasn't reading the description of the problem that I gave him and provided inaccurate information. Then I sign up for a forum that appeared not to respect my privacy -- and for the 10th time, the set up is idiotic and one that would make anyone suspicious.

If you want to direct suggestions to users on how to behave, please direct them to someone else.

Thanks to everyone who attempted to responsive, as I do when others come with questions to the web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2014 Jun 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barney48 wrote:

That's me finished!   

And here I was thinking that was you illustrating precisely my point.

Since you've decided no one knows who you are (a misconception in itself), you feel free to say whatever you like in whatever abrupt tone you like, without much concern for the consequences - hurt feelings, surprised users, self-embarrassment...

EVEN IF you don't use your real name, imagine "signing your name" to whatever you write; having people who know you read it - even your mom, having to live with what you've written FOREVER MORE online, and you might find yourself being a bit more thoughtful.

Thank you for making my point so immediately and locally.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2014 Jun 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have ruffled a few feathers - I'm so sorry I had no intention of doing so!

I try to be friendly and light hearted.  Life is far too short.  I can't believe I used the term "OMG", I'm 58 for goodness sake!

The question posed (at least I thought it was posed), was how to display a screen name or user name instead of your birth name.  Many people are concerned that by allowing their real name to be seen somehow violates privacy.  I am one of them.

Assurances were requested from other users that all that could be seen by people other than themselves on the forum is their screen name.  The answer as far as I can see is answered.  Others cannot see your real name unless that is what you have entered as your screen name when registering.

You only see your real name if you are logged on.  When you log off and look at the thread, you see your screen name and not your real name.

I suppose the next question leading from the possible error of registering using your real name, is how do you correct it and change your screen name.  I have no answer for that and I don't think anyone else has come up with anything either.  I guess that only possible way is to somehow cancel that registration, start from scratch and take out another, but this must involve the website administrators.

It should be an easy exercise to cancel a registration on any website forum and have your details removed but they, (the web site administrators), never seem to make it simple.  Sometimes it is absolutely impossible. 

The whole question of privacy, protection of identity and remaining anonymous is another matter entirely.  I have similar issues with You Tube and Google (who took them over).  I consistently get things popping up on my screen asking if I want to display my real name or screen name.  I set out wanting to use a screen name so why would I want to change?  If you need to contact someone to ask a question, there is usually a method or tool by which you can do it - in the same way you can exchange details on Ebay for instance.  But the exchange of those details does not mean publicising you details to the world - it is done on a mutually agreed  one to one basis.

There could be a whole debate on whether everyone should be open, honest and accountable by forcing everyone to display their details.  Personally, I don't think it is a good idea even though it opens the whole cyber world up to cyber trolls and bullies as recent reports on Facebook and Twitter have displayed, (by the way I do not subscribe to either of these and hopefully will never have to!).

When I was working, we all had it drummed into us about the rights and wrongs of the uses of email.  besides it being a written undisputable word, we were told to be careful that we should not deride or defame.  We should not openly criticise but be subjective, (or is objective - I can never remember!).  We should also be brief - well I've broken that tenet on more than one occasion!  The trouble is there will always be some hothead who wants to vent their spleen and can find no other outlet to vent his/her frustration other than the internet.  The facility was not designed for this but what can you do?

If we had to produce all of our true life details on every website forum surely this would be open season for cyber fraud not to mention other un-nice things.  For instance web site forums on health.  Would anybody want the world to know what is ailing them or their close relatives and friends - I suppose the insurance companies might be marginally interested!

Again I'm sorry if I have given the wrong impression and upset anyone.  Truly I am on the side of the underdog because I class myself as one.

If everyone thinks that this subject has run its course can we now somehow close it down?

There doesn't seem to be a mechanism for locking threads as there is on many other forums, so if there are any administrators reading this please consider adding a facility.  I would at least like to know how I can prevent myself from continuing to receive notifications on this thread.  If anyone has an answer please let me know - before the thread is locked!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  An Adobe rep tells me that my real name is showing up in another thread.  If that's the case, it's very concerning.  I do plan to delete my account, but my name will still be there.  Lousy system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barney, why do you feel a desire to "close it down"?  It's a forum thread.  You're not in charge.

Perhaps you'd like to have the last word.  Even that may not happen.

The thread will die on its own when it's time.  Until then, people can vent or contribute or whatever they like.  Thank goodness every thread someone idly thinks has run its course isn't arbitrarily closed down.

duty_calls.png

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2014 Jun 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - First of all, by evidence of all the answers to the main question I took t for granted that the issue was resolved - that's a good enough reason in itself to lock it down - but I am probably wrong!

Certainly if I had started the thread, I would consider the problem solved and if possible I would freeze it.  It would still be there for all to view but accepting no more pointless input.

If there are any other issues, then perhaps it is good idea to address them in a new thread.

My main aim now is to try and prevent my inbox filling up with unwanted responses.

In other words I want to unsubscribe from the thread.

How do I do that - because I can't see how?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 15, 2014 Jun 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look over in right corner for a green box with + mark, click on Follow In, Click on Stop Following

Real_name_instead_of_Screen_name_displayed___Adobe_Community_-_SeaMonkey_{Build_ID__20140428215742}.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

suppose the next question leading from the possible error of registering using your real name, is how do you correct it and change your screen name.  I have no answer for that and I don't think anyone else has come up with anything either.  I guess that only possible way is to somehow cancel that registration, start from scratch and take out another, but this must involve the website administrators

It is pretty simple to change your username and you don't need to involve any Adobe staff or Adomstrators of these forums.  the process is as follows:

1) Login at your account using your AdobeID (this is your email) at this link:

Adobe

The place to log in is at the right corner of the screen as shown in this picture:

2014-06-14_2141.png

2) When you are looged in then goto "My Information" asshown in this picture:

2014-06-14_2145.jpg

3) Scroll down the page and look for My Personal Profile:

2014-06-14_2150.jpg

4) Your screen name is entered in the RED box shown in the above picture.

5) this should solve the problem if any.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you have a Typo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2014 May 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I think anything that encourages people to use their real names fosters more polite, higher quality conversation.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many legitimate reasons for a user not to use their legal name in a public forum, so the screen-name system is very important. Your forum accounts are tied to an AdobeID, which if you're a customer has to hold your real name as that's the entity who is granted product licenses. Some social media sites tried to force people to use real names, and were rightfully punished for it by a mass backlash of stupid entries. We don't care what you want to call yourself in the forums (provided it's not abusive, explicit or breaks the formatting).

In the new forums, even we can't see your real name - just your screen name and email address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Merchant wrote:

...a mass backlash of stupid...

My point exactly.  Thank you.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 20, 2014 Aug 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read most of this line of posts, and I tried to fix this problem, but when I look at my profile (see your profile as it looks to others), I still see not only my real name but also my e-mail address.  Can you help me figure out how to stop this from happening?  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

I see Graphic Squirrel

So do I:

Screen Shot 2014-08-20 at 2.32.13 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphic Squirrel - I've checked your profile settings and you're OK - the real name and email fields are set to 'yourself' so normal users cannot see them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 21, 2014 Aug 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all so much!  My mind is at ease now (that sounds weird, but it is true!).  I did sign out and check it as suggested, and sure enough, all I saw was my screen name without my e-mail address.  It is weird, though, that when you check the "see how others see you", you still see the screen with your name. 

Again, thank you all for helping me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. 

I agree this scheme is weird at best.  Have no clue why Adobe does that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

station_two wrote:

Have no clue why Adobe does that.

Adobe doesn't do anything - it's just how Jive works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Merchant wrote:

station_two wrote:

Have no clue why Adobe does that.

Adobe doesn't do anything - it's just how Jive works.

Problem is... we are stuck with Jive forever. And I see no reason to expect noticeable improvements for the Forums in the future. And we are loosing valuable contrributors because of this..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonder If Jive has bought an interest in Adobe.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dave Merchant wrote:

Adobe doesn't do anything…

I would not argue with that apparent reality, but it's laughable that Adobe has no control either.  < missing eye-roll emoticon here >

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2014 May 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trouble is Noel, everybody isn't as honest as you and I.

I always think it is wise to try and confuse would be hackers as best we can rather than give them information on a plate as it were.

take for instance the news this week regarding Ebay and the problems that came from the hacking of Internet Explorer.  These cases may not relate but it proves that we have to be on guard all of time and make sure that we remain as secure as possible.

These are the full names I can see besides yours (and mine) of course:

Pat Willener

Dave Merchant

Phillip Jones

I have no idea if this is your (the names involved) intention but at least it gives you the information if you need to deal with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2014 May 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about myself (not in this thread)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2014 May 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see Claudio Gonzalez

I can't type the "a" with a an accent easily - sorry!

What did you think it was showing as?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines