Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Real name instead of Screen name displayed

Community Expert ,
May 03, 2014 May 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since the recent change in the UI of these Jive forums, suddenly my real name 'Lieve Weymeis' is displayed instead of my much better known screen name 'Lilybiri' in the Captivate community. This is not the case for the other participants. I checked my Preferences, and they seem to be correct: screen name visible to everyone, not real name.

Can you help me out?

Lieve Weymeis AKA Lilybiri

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 04, 2014 May 04, 2014

When you're logged in - YOU see your real name.

Everyone else always sees your screen name.

No it doesn't make any sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2014 May 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see Barney48. It was just so confusing in the beginning, because I do see my real name.

All changes are not all for the best, more often then not I am unable to access my mailbox with PM for the moment. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2014 Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could someone please tell me how my name is displaying?  And btw, this is an idiotic idea.  It also was a stupid idea for the real name to be used as the default in the forum without warning the user.  There are so many instances in which Adobe fails to think things through.  For the last several months I've been trying to remove Adobe Photo Express and Revel yet no one seems to be able to tell me how to do that, including Adobe today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eboda user wrote:

Could someone please tell me how my name is displaying?

Have you read any of the posts in this thread? It's been explained. There are pictures even.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no reason to have confidence in Adobe right now.  I requested, and received, independent confirmation.  And I repeat:  Setting it up like this is idiotic.  You always give the user the option of seeing if the change went through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your name is displaying as "eboda user."  I agree this is confusing.  In a previous question above, my real name is displaying instead of my screen name.  Another user told me my screen name is displaying, though, so maybe I just see my real name on my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only you see your real name ON ANY COMPUTER if you are logged in to the forums.

Screen shot 2014-06-12 at 2.43.52 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for confirming that.  I don't know of any site that doe this without giving you the option of seeing how others see your posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eboda  User, these forums are primarily designed to be viewed through a web browser using the Adobe web site.  Everybody can see everyone else's posts.  No need to describe your posts and replies.

Among the disadvantage of accessing the forums through email are the fact that you don't see any edits to any post because edits are not broadcast to email users and that you can't embedi images in your posts like I did above.  You cannot attach images or files to emails here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not presume to lecture me on how to complain about issues I shouldn't have to be complaining about in the first place. If anyone in a position of authority at Adobe actually reads these threads I want them to know the reason for my anger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't get to dictate how I or anyone else replies to your sissy posts, Eboda User.  These are user forums.

You are delusional if you think that anyone at Adobe who cares a d@mn about your interactions with Adobe customer service or tech service will ever read your posts here.  There's no such animal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't get to dictate my response.  As you said, these are user forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2014 Jun 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this thread served it's purpose yet? Seems to be a little (and by a little, I mean a lot) off course now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. But who (and how) do we contact to get it closed?

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OldBob1957 wrote:

I agree. But who (and how) do we contact to get it closed?

m.m.murphy (Staff, New Adobe Admin) is great at locking threads.m.m.murphy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to the forums and I just made a post. I noticed that my real name is showing as the poster so I went to my profile to find how to change that. I noticed that my real name is set to "Yourself" and I used the option to view my profile as others would see it. In all cases, whether as me, Everyone, Registered Users, blah, blah, it shows my real name. I went to the main Adobe site and changed my real name there to see if that would help. It didn't. My real name is still being displayed. So what is the answer to my quandary?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG - another one!

Just have a look at this thread and the other one regarding this subject.

If you log out and look for the thread without logging back in find your contributions (i.e. posts).

You should see your screen name and not your real name.

You only see your real name when you are logged into the forum.  No one else can see your real name - they only see your screen name.

OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did you begin your reply with "OMG - another one!"? In your own words "It isn't pleasant!"

FTR I changed my real name at the main site. I logged out. I logged back in. I checked my preferences. I checked how different users see me, as already stated. ALL people were seeing my real name according to the widget provided by Adobe. I came here. I posted my question. My real name was still being shown. I logged out THE SECOND TIME. I just came back and now, after asking the question and logging out and back in TWICE, it is fixed. Thank you anyway, in spite of your unpleasantness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your name is being displayed as "Silver2014."  If you like, I can send you a screen shot.  I shared your alarm and confusion because it wasn't clear that the system had registered the changes I'd made and it's weird to keep seeing your own name.  Other services that do this (most don't) show you how your entries display to others. Perhaps the more people who point this out, the more the administrators of the system will have an incentive to change it. It's a thoroughly understandable and predictable concern.

Of course you would want to confirm the status of the display.  This thread is rather old. Things change.

And what if you had to make a screen shot of a post on your screen but wanted to retain your privacy?  You'd have to redact your name.  This system has been very poorly designed, and in view of the number of fora that are out there, plus complaints about privacy (Facebook), it makes no sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2014 Jul 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely this must be confusing a lot of people when they see their real name when they are logged in and their screen name when you are logged out?

Sounds like a good candidate for a change to the Adobe forum system to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very confusing and the concerns are predictable. Given all the years that there have been online fora these bush league problems make no sense. It makes me think less of Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Especially when you can go to other Jive-hosted forum sites and find that they work very well.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eboda User wrote:

…these bush league problems make no sense. It makes me think less of Adobe.

Then you (still) overestimate Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines