• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Redirect old-style forums urls

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.xxxxxxxx/ etc)

Will the new forums eventually redirect old-style forums urls?  For instance, http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b5c4e8/ should redirect to http://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom/lightroom_sdk (etc).  My bookmarked threads, links within old threads, google search results (haha) are becoming largely useless...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt it.  None of the old urls are any longer valid.

Google should evetially update its own index once it discovers and indexes the new forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't think they'll do that as it would likely require going through each thread and manually link it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno gets the star. It's a manual process. Volunteers are welcome to begin queuing up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that's pretty crazy!  Was the old forums database just copied into the new one?  They don't share database structures at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty much yes. They were combining two very different forum databases into one. Enough of a project in itself. To ask the import scripts to also look in each post for a link and reset it would complicate it horribly and be just another stick in the fire toward failure. Better to use it as an excuse to freshen things up a bit, with the greatest concerns being to go over the FAQ forums in various areas and clean those up. I am serious about volunteers tho... in time there will probably be a call for people that want to help with that, unless it ends up being covered fairly well by the current staff and volunteers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 30, 2009 Apr 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Dorothy,

I've got a lot of the PM FAQs as a PDF, but the external links in it are now broken.  I've squeezed it down to a fraction over 5Mb but it's still too big to upload,

Converting it back to HTML and relinking is going take a week's leave, a case of of sctoch and a season ticket at the Indian take-away.

Iechyd da! John
16:27 30/04/2009 BST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, I just asked JC if he can set you up with a folder in the PM forum so you can officially convert your FAQs there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DorothyK@Adobe wrote:

Hi John, I just asked JC if he can set you up with a folder in the PM forum so you can officially convert your FAQs there.

Lovely!  But maybe it's more about an archive as the traffic in PM is down to a trickle, where the commonest response is "Your copy of PM from 1997 will run beautifully on a Win98 PC.  For your super deluxe new PC with Windows Vista and wet-look screen, move on to InDesign using your PM licence to obtain a discounted purchase while stock last" with a link to your local Adobe Supermarket.

Iechyd da! John
18:57 30/04/2009

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BigJohnD wrote:

Lovely!  But maybe it's more about an archive as the traffic in PM is down to a trickle, where the commonest response is "Your copy of PM from 1997 will run beautifully on a Win98 PC.  For your super deluxe new PC with Windows Vista and wet-look screen, move on to InDesign using your PM licence to obtain a discounted purchase while stock last" with a link to your local Adobe Supermarket.

I'll leave it between you and John to sort out the best way to set things up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK DK!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To ask the import scripts to also look in each post for a link and reset it would complicate it horribly

Yes, but a reasonably skilled programming team who uses the HTTP standards to full effect should have been able to develop the import scripts to also output a simple HTTP 301 Moved Permanently t old URL new URL redirect line for each.  Incorporating some pattern matching logic into this would allow a reduction of the number of such HTTP redirects.

It would at least be nice to know that this was considered and rejected for some logistical reason rather then being left in the dark about why so many difficulties seem to be fostered on us users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm.

Am I the only person who has noticed that the long title of this thread has screwed up the layout of the entire page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines