• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing old threads I have posted?

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made the mistake of using my full name as my user name on the Adobe forums years ago.  Now when I do a Google search of my name, the old threads that I posted asking novice questions show up.  It doesn't appear that Adobe allows you to remove or edit the content of old messages, so I was wondering if anyone has other suggestions that may help to avoid my old posts showing up in Google searches?

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way - do you think a Mod would assist me in any way?  Wondering if anyone else has experience getting their old posts removed (at LEAST the ones that contain my name).  I know it was my mistake using my name, but the threads are now irrelevent and serve no purpose contiuing to exist.  Is that good enough reason for a mod to delete?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid Adobe can't help. Blame Google "Botts" they parse all Web sites and once they have glommed on to any thing it on for Posterity. You comments may eventual  fall off when your 99 years old.  That the way the Internet is there is no Privacy anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>doesn't appear that Adobe allows you to remove or edit the content of old messages

Once anyone has clicked reply on any message, that message is locked and may not be further edited

I have no idea if a MOD would help you... but that would be a question to ask in the specific forum for the MOD of that forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing your screen name will change it in all past posts; this is your oldest post from four years ago: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/50482

Google will keep old posts as they were at the time for a while, but eventually it will be re-indexed, and your name will disappear.

P.S. just curious: why do you think it is a mistake to use your real name?  Most regulars in these forums use their real names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just reported that four year old topic, asking to remove your real name from it.  I do not see your real name anywhere; can you post a screenshot what you see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O/p sent me a PM claiming his name is in every reply of that topic I linked.  But this is not what I see:

name.png

Can you please post a screenshot of what you see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - the text with my name is below the text in your screen shot.  I've re-loaded the page and have looked on different computers.  I'm aware that changing your user name changes it in all old messages, but this is in the quoted text at the end of each reply.

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posting personal information has always been discouraged.  Here is except from current posting guide, and this has probably not changed from 2008.

Don't get too personal. Remember, all messages are public and will be viewed by many others. When you post on the Adobe Forums, your post is also syndicated via Usenet to other newsgroup servers and indexed by search engines such as Google Groups. Posting personal information such as email addresses and/or contact information may result in unwanted contact and/or email, so be selective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul,

This means that the name is actually part of the message, and a moderator (of the relevant forum(s)) is able to edit messages.

Does it apply to all your posts?

How many posts in total?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not all of my posts, but many from 4 years ago.   Below are the threads that contain my full name:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/40935  (3 instances)

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/50482? (2 instances)

Hoping they can be erased.

Thank you for the help everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul,

I will try to get a moderator for the Dreamweaver forum(s) to edit the full name instances out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul,

They should now be gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, Michael.

It seems to be four down and one to go: the first post in the first linked thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/40935

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pbsum83 wrote:

this is in the quoted text at the end of each reply.

Ah, I understand now.  Quoted text becomes part of the post; naturally this does not change when you change your screen name.  Sorry I didn't get it after your first posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all so much!  I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For my part you are welcome, Paul.

The last editing out was made by Sudarshan Thiagarajan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pbsum,

What happens if you Reload the page(s) in question?

In the days of the fair forums, old threads died and thereby disappeared into the abyss after 200 days of no posting. This means that threads with no postings after the summer of 2008 are gone from the forums and thereby no longer available, unless saced somewhere else.

This means that those long gone old threads are either gone or copies are in their original form under the control of others.

Live threads regardless of age behave just as new threads, and change with the current forum settings, including screen names. Obviously, if you have an old version of a page, it may show as such, until you Reload or something. Hence the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines