• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

restricting forums searches to one forum

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2009 May 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I missing something?  When I go to any given individual forum to look for information, I see the Search Forums box at the top of the page, but it searches ALL the forums.  How incredibly useless!!!!!

You know, some time back, the Adobe forums worked in Outlook Express, Windows Mail, and most any decent newsgroup reader.  It appears that Adobe removed that feature from users... which wouldn't be the end of the world IF the forums actually functioned worth a damn.  But ever since Adobe (sort of) took over the implementation and admin of the forums and made them only available through the Adobe website, the forums have crashed and burned.

Overall function has gotten worse and worse, the searchability is now ZERO and USELESS which is the whole point of forums.

Adobe is WHOLLY supported and is ENTIRELY in existence only because users spend a fortune on their software; and that's perfectly fine of course.  But you'd think as much money as Adobe rakes in from loyal users, that they would see the VALUE and CRITICAL IMPORTANCE of providing forums that ACTUALLY FUNCTION CORRECTLY.

Adobe makes amazing software, and over the years it has gotten consistently better, more stable, and better integrated.  And over the same period of time, the forums have gotten worse and worse and worse.  It really is vexing and inexcusable.

Tim K

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , May 12, 2009 May 12, 2009

But as is typical Adobe (or Jive)  implementation, the box that you choose which forums to search is a TINY 80 pixels high, and is poulated with nearly 150 line items.

543 choices as of this writing with only 6 in view at any one time on my system. Using FireFox? Check this from the Forum Comments FAQ: Can I over write the forums style sheets to change the layout?

And replace the userstyles.org link in that FAQ with http://userstyles.org/users/21328

From there, you can pick the Expanded Search "Where" Box

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Searches can be restricted in the "Advanced" Search options.

But yes, it's pretty silly that searches are not restricted by default...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Eric,

You know the Advanced Search thing would almost be acceptable.... I mean many sites and forums need to be "advance searched" and I'm usually fine with that.

But as is typical Adobe (or Jive)  implementation, the box that you choose which forums to search is a TINY 80 pixels high, and is poulated with nearly 150 line items.  So successfully navigating to the line item you need is a nightmare.

Furthermore, every forum is broken into umpteen more line items, so as you scroll through that miniscule 80 pixel box, the stuff whizzes by and you constantly feel as though you're lost in the alphabetical order.

Dear Adobe or Jive or whoever:  If these forums weren't so important to users, this forum design could be called comical, it so incredibly poor.

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But as is typical Adobe (or Jive)  implementation, the box that you choose which forums to search is a TINY 80 pixels high, and is poulated with nearly 150 line items.

543 choices as of this writing with only 6 in view at any one time on my system. Using FireFox? Check this from the Forum Comments FAQ: Can I over write the forums style sheets to change the layout?

And replace the userstyles.org link in that FAQ with http://userstyles.org/users/21328

From there, you can pick the Expanded Search "Where" Box which can help make that more bearable.

If you're using IE, there is a way, but it is somewhat painful.

HTH

[Edit]

Don't forget to turn off user style sheets before giving feedback about forum appearance/performance.

Why do I always forget that and have to [Edit]?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark, your answer is brilliant and extremely appreciated.

Haha, I hadn't counted the line items, just guessed, sort of purely hoping that somebody at Adobe (or Jive) might see the absurdity in having soooooooooo many items in an 80 pixel box.

I am shocked/dismayed/not surprised  that the number is actually 543!!!!  Incredible.

Thanks for responding in such a brilliant and helpful manner..... I do use IE (actually Maxthon, which I truly LOVE)  but have Firefox installed and use it for many things.  So I'll add this to my daily uses for Firefox.

T  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, the userstyles.org collection happens to be Eric @ MCA's so he deserves at least as many thanks.

Darn you. Your user name just nagged at me that I really need to get packing! I'm moving back to Shalimar soon, if you know where that is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,

WOW!!!!  I swear this world is often so small.  I dated and lived with a woman in Shalimar for about 6 years.  In Lake Lorraine.  I moved out to Santa Rosa Beach about a year ago.  I am High Tide Media Group.  I won't put a link because it might be inappropriate on these forums, but it's easy to Google.  Feel free to look me up when you get back in the area.

Eric, thanks a million to you too for the work on userstyles.org - I will be checking on that asap!

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll be on the other side of Eglin Pkwy, in the Poquito Bayou area.

<trivia>The shark in Jaws 2 was "killed" in Lake Lorraine.</trivia>

And beware! I just might take you up on that offer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Furthermore, every forum is broken into umpteen more line items, so as you scroll through that miniscule 80 pixel box, the stuff whizzes by and you constantly feel as though you're lost in the alphabetical order.

I agree it is terrible.  It is so compact that one can't even see where you are or where you are going. 

Seems so simple to make box twice as big at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines