• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rounding a discussion that was locked...

LEGEND ,
May 12, 2010 May 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/636563?tstart=0

was locked because, by innocently answering an innocent question from Bill Hunt, I started a discussion completely unrelated with the original topic, and this seems to have scared the original poster so much, that s/he hasn't dared to post any further message in any of these forums, for which I sincerely apologize.

As the objected discussion relates with a problem that may have affected or may affect other users, I think that I must at least complete the information that will answer the message from adobe-admin:

1. Thanks for letting me know that my avatars had been approved. I hadn't been around here since this morning, and I didn't expect them to be approved so soon, so I wasn't going to check until at least tomorrow.

2. As you can see, I did manage to change my avatar, and I seem to have recovered my main identity. At least, the number of posts and the original registration date look all right now; and even my points count seems correct.

3. I am not very familiar with the way those "phantom" accounts operate, but I would say that last night I got two of them, because the extra garbage that appeared  for some time after my name in my message #1 was definitely different fron the one appearing in my message #3 that is still there. Unfortunately, I don't remember if the rest of my data in #1 was correct while the vanished garbage was there.

4. Last night, after posting my message #4, I tried to solve the problem of my two identical pending photos, but when I entered in my profile, the options for changing my avatar or changing my data were simply not there, so I couldn't even look at them. I then moved from my Mac to my Win machine, where I found that there was just one uploaded photo (the second seems to have never made it, although it was the second that appeard doubled in my Mac). So I just uploaded the second once more, and both were shown correctly and Pending.

5. I then went back to my Mac, and to my profile. Curiously, the option to change my avatar still wasn't there. So I did the whole routine of logging out, moving to a non Adobe site, deleting cookies, ..., and fortunately all seems to be all right since then. What is best, my new gift of remaining logged even through computer shutdowns was not affected, for which I am extremely grateful.

I hope this detailed report may be of some help for your better understanding of the phantom accounts problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

I think that it was all my fault. I should never have paid notice of the change in the avatar.

I would anticipate that the OP followed your helpful link to the proper forum and got the answer needed there.

Mea culpa, mea culpa

Hunt

PS - noticed the new avatar...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Bill, yours was a legitimate and naive question, and so was my answer, but I got carried away by the problems regarding my avatar and my account(s). If there is any blame (and I think there isn't), it was mine.

And, by the way, at the time of writing this message, the original poster still had only one post:

nomas.JPG

But we are going off topic again, and this thread might get locked...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right professional looking Chap! I don't see why you were hiding be behind a Flag, though a Handsome one.

Topic not as likely to be locked because it is on topic. What happened before was a break from the subject at hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, I wasn't hiding behind my country's flag; the same photograph of mine has been available in my profile for some time. I merely used it as a way of attracting attention to my country, but those that have noticed have only commented that it is a nice looking flag -which it is. I doubt many people have associated it with Chile...

And let us please give a chance to adobe-admin to comment on my opening post, if he thinks there is anything worth commenting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wasn't meant as an attack.

BTW I've Changed my Avatar but with no split personalities

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2010 May 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that Phillip actually meant "proudly displaying the Chilean flag," and just mis-typed.

I have also noticed that I need to do a higher-rez version of my Profile image (just was lazy as heck and used the avatar image), and I call myself a "professional photographer?" Bad move Hunt.

So, Claudio, if nothing else, you have helped me back onto the proper path, and not that of a lazy wino. Thank you. Change will come, upon my return from Hawai`i. Who knows, maybe my wife will do another, and better shot of her "lazy and wino husband."

While the image is handsome, I have to admit that I miss the flag a bit. Guess that I had just grown accustomed to it.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 14, 2010 May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill that's exactly what I meant. as I said no insult was intended.

One thing that would help is if the Avatars we a bit larger.  I've had to sign up to Mactopia Forums because MS is going to kill there NNTP Servers (sad day) and the avatar size is larger by an addition 1/3 Vertically and Horzontally.  at leat you can see details

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, I know you are too good natured to be deliberately insulting with someone like me. You must admit, however, that the differences between this

proudly displaying the Chilean flag

and this

I don't see why you were hiding be behind a Flag, though a Handsome one.

cannot be simply attributed to mistyping, as Bill suggests. In any case, it would have been very myopic and foolish of my part to take offense of such a remark, specially when it is clearly marked with an emoticon.

What disturbs me is that these interchanges seem to be producing on adobe-admin the same effect that the off topic discussion in the locked thread produced on the original poster of that thread (who, at the time of writing this message, had still not posted any further message in any of these forums).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

at leat you can see details

Sometimes it's a blessing that you can't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

That is a very good point. Now, some of the avatars have some neat artwork, but then others, like my current one, well not so much.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it seems clear by now that nobody is interested in my report about what I thought was a strange anomaly in these forums. Maybe the reasons for this are somehow related with this (to me) very perturbing article:

http://indesignsecrets.com/michael-ninness-answers-indesign-cs5-critics.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you surprised. You know that adobe is like many Software companies. they have a bunch of  of designers setting around in a ivory tower and say let's do this and that. Evene the fellow that just left Adobe after  ID's redesign said as much. Basically he said that rather than taking customers wish to heart they came up with designs told the customers what they wish to do and hoped the customers would go along.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not in the least surprised. It's only that the article I cited gives perturbing news about how the change from the fair forums to the present ones was done. It's an unexpected confirmation of our worse fears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 24, 2010 May 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only that the article I cited gives perturbing news about how the change from the fair forums to the present ones was done.

sorry claudio. i missed that. is this article about how in-design cs5 was hatched the one you meant to point to? i don't see any connection between that and the forums' de-evolution (which i'd be interested in reading about).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad; I was extrapolating and forgot to say so. I haven't read the article in the last couple of weeks, but I seem to remember that they did not take into account the posted suggestions from the actual users. And I found it perturbing that they based their development on future needs guessed from surveys to corporations, not on the present needs of today's users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2010 May 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That corresponds to the other part of my observations: their lack of mentioning the forums/feature requests.

So I agree with you after all, Claudio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Dave, Claudio.

Actually, reading the article I thought it sounded much more forthcoming, and efficient, than perceived in these forums. Obviously, I was wondering whom they were asking, and whether forum members were included; I believe some members might contribute invaluable suggestions. I saw no mentioning of any use of feature requests, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read it and it was "special Focus groups" not forum user, not users of the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2010 May 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just noticed than in my initial report I forgot to provide what may be an important piece of information. The FAQ on phantom accounts here

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/613050?tstart=0

says

Sometimes accounts will split themselves upon (automatic) logon.

However, the first appearance of extra characters after my name, and which disappeared after a few minutes, occurred without any log (on or out) involved. It happened after a somewhat failed attempt to change my avatar (details already provided). And there were also no logs (on or out) before the second, permanent split.

It would seem that I have become again an isolated case not worth investigating...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines