• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scared of CC

May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure is I am in the right forum for this

As a long time Adobe user CC scares me...

I live in a country without decent internet....

Adobe has already demonstrated in Australia that pricing can go up and down as it sees fit ...always to the detriment of customers

A lot of the world is still in an economical downturn ...$600 per year is not a saving...it is a considerable increase for many

$600 per year will quickly move to $1000.... (I have just noticed in my country I can only get the team version???)

Once adobe determines which programs are popular an additional cost tier will be introduced to pay for that product

once you move over to a subscription based service you are addicted... if you give up subscription you can no longer edit projects ....if you own a version ...you can always go back to a project without activation issues...

As for not providing updates and bug fixes that is just unconscionable

Adobes thinking here is that of a monopoly.... it will start forcing the independent free lancer to look elsewhere ... it will encourage pirating..... and in places where internet is not assured guarantee creative discrimination.. for non profits and groups fighting political oppression a subscription based services could really limit there freedom of speech.... if you cant connect to the internet ..how can you produce content?

Adobe please think hard about this

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 12, 2013 May 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure it reliable in Big cities across the the US. But there are many parts of the US that still don't have internet access.

Have PPP over Dial-up (POTS). DSL over Copper (his only type DSL available in my Area. And Cable systems That haven't been kept up to date. For example at my house I still use wiring and Splitters put in in the early 80's.

In summer time I am having to reset the modem from The Cable Company up to 5 times a day. I have kin people all over VA and NC that have to put up with the same Junk. if you are graced to live in Cal Texas, Oregon, Washington Ill, New York or maybe the capital Cities of all the States, you can expect to have top notch service that is constantly updated. But that's only about 20% US about 80% of the US is Rural and Cable Companies, and Telco don't put the investment in Rural areas because rural area don't have the money. And making money rather than providing good service is what its all about.

Everything is about Greed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 11, 2013 May 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfectly put Jp. They are profiteering from a monopoly position. They have deliberately built-up that monopoly, and are now deliberately profiteering. In Europe that sort of thing is illegal you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 13, 2013 May 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe doesn't like you adding links.... so go to change(dot)org and sign the petition .. if you haven't already.. and also pass around

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree fully with almost everything you wrote.

Jp Cooper wrote:

Full Production that you all cater to - IS NOT VIABLE from a Web Browser interface.  I should not have to push my content through Adobe's servers in order develop a project for a client. This touches on my comments above - Adobe has no right to any of my content or that of my clients.   This is very unacceptable.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to save to the cloud. It's just an optional backup scenario. (tell me if i'm wrong on this one plz). As I understand it CC is basically the same as CS as far as functionality, but adds in some web storage + authenticates monthly + does away with us pesky low-profit 'upgraders' + Downloads newest version of whatever instant (but dont be surprised when development stagnates bc the execs don't see upgrading as profitable.)

Jp Cooper wrote:

So thank you very much for making the bulk of the software for the Industry I've worked in for the past 20 years a Monopoly and then in one sweep shutting the whole thing down and charging us significantly more for an inferior product.

Yeah thats the real twist of the knife...  isn't it.

Back in '11, I could smell this coming when the new big buzzword was the 'the cloud' which really meant 'software as a service' + 'a little web storage'. Did anyone think back then that within 2 years Adobe would be forcing their entire offering into that kind of profit scam? It would have been hard to believe that a company that develops industry standard tools would jump 100% into a profit gimmick. Never underestimate the arrogance of a monopoly and the greed/ short sightedness of ambitious executives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 28, 2013 May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How will changing the tool base affect what things look like in the future?

Back in '11...

Never underestimate the arrogance of a monopoly and the greed/ short sightedness of ambitious executives.

I saw this coming too but I hoped that it wouldn't. You're right, I think greed and arrogance are running this... In other words, the fat cats in the corner officess are making this decision. They don't actually care about the product or the vast army of creative people (often artists) that use their products.

I would say that the people making this choice are diametrically opposed to the type of people that actually use their products. Of course there isn't "one type" of Adobe user but I think we are united for similar reasons. For some, it's the money, for others, it's the comprehensive set of tools. Ultimately, it's probably what we create that joins us together the most.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the US about 80% of the country has poor Internet service . Varying from PPP over POTS. to DSL over Copper (DSL over POTS). Even Cable system haven't been updated since the 1980's espcially in Rural areas.  $600-1000 in Most of the US is not pocket change either.

I have loaded and am getting the unable to sync files about every 5 seconds  right now.

But you can't tell adobe nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we can tell Adobe "no," if we work at it.

Companies do admit "mistakes" when confronted with clear evidence that they have outraged their customers, and do roll back bad policies, however reluctantly.

Speak up about this, everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Companies do admit "mistakes" when confronted

New Coca Cola -vs- Classic is one example of a product rollback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have already committed and can't back out. New feed on ZD-Net  just now: say the current creative suit is the last Adobe will ever offer for sell. I'll Fork over some money I have in saving to update because Photoshop CS6 works with my Camera and 5.5 don't. And DreamWeaver 6 has HTML5 support.

I simply can not afford to sign up for Yearly service. and also I am one of about of 80% of people in USA that has Poor Internet.

Although I am on the best Comcast Consumer connection. Yet its eratic at best. The system has been passed down to several different owners ans Comcast is the last, some parts of the system hasn't beeen updated since the 80's. Just now I the Creative Connection pplication is telling me it can't sync Files ever 5-10 seconds or so. And If it only works when The Internet is functioning how is it supposed to work.  At least with the MS model for office your allowed to download a copy and can work when there is no Connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe will never admit anything until they are on the verge of Bankrupcy. And at the rate they are going that will be sooner not later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a graphic designer and 3D modeller.  I've used photoshop for years professionally and had hoped to finally get the CS6 Creative Suite.  Given this move, I will instead be migrating away from any Adobe products.  I have a few other "cloud" products already by other vendors and I have NOT had good experiences with them.  I need software that is on MY computer, available when I need to work regardless of internet connection (and I do not always have my system connected to the internet).  Wake up Adobe, many of us are professionals, not kids or tech geeks who think all the latest gadgets are cool.  I still buy print books because they work regardless of what happens with the internet, I need software that is MINE once I buy it.  You're "solution" would cost me more money, provide me with unreliable service, and require I have an internet connection just to work from my own computer.  Good luck with your new business model, you just lost a previously consistent customer unless you reverse this.  Wait too long and I'm gone for good regardless.

Oh, and I just have to wonder, since the US Senate just voted to apply the internet tax, is that going to be applied to that monthly subscription?  There's potentially another 6% to 10% on that $49.95 per month extra courtesy of Uncle Sam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous Adobe!

Creative Cloud is an interesting idea, and for some it may be a good option, but I think it's going to be a hard sell for a lot of customers… myself included. I work for a large global corporation and I can tell you that adding an ongoing monthly expense for multiple users around the world is going to be a huge hassle, not just for me, but also for accounts payable and the IT team who will have to support it. Why force people to go this route instead of having it just as an option? Clearly the only reason is you feel that people just aren't upgrading fast enough. But do you really give the users compelling reasons to upgrade?

Since I've been with my company, we've upgraded roughly every other release. Most upgrades we've done have just been to stay current with our printers and other design teams. The one exception is that we upgraded to CS5.5 to take advantage of the interactive folios in indesign. That really was a mistake, because what we got with 5.5 really felt like a beta of the tools. There were multiple updates which were required (at times stopping our work entirely) and at times the adobe cloud servers did not seem to be working and we were unable to upload or download folios. It really made the tools barely usable and certainly not reliable enough to rollout to our sales force as a sales tool. With CS6 they fixed most of the issues, but I have to feel the bugs were worked out at the expense of those who moved too quickly to upgrade to CS5.5.

This makes me extremely worried. In addition to being forced to rent the software, I do not want a piece of cloud software where updates are pushed to me regardless of how half-baked they may be. As one other poster mentioned, I would never upgrade software in the middle of a huge project and at times I've kept an older version installed along with the new version until I was sure everything would work properly.

I think now is the time for other companies to come in and fill the need for design professionals to actually "own" their software. Remember Adobe that before Indesign, Quark owned page layout, and I honestly think with such a brash move, if they play their cards rights, they could regain a lot of the market. For every piece of software you produce, there are competitors. And I can guarantee that people will start looking at them and deciding whether or not any of them will fit their needs without the need for a monthly subscription. This is what happens when companies feel they have a monopoly and there are no alternatives.

There are always alternatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davedunlap1 wrote:

This is ridiculous Adobe!

I guess we just have to wait and see whether the Cloud business model has made any difference in the company's revenues.  The idea was originally floated by Microsoft to curb the use of pirated software;  All other companies have followed suit.  Microsoft is the leader in new ways of generating revenues and other companies just follow it blindly.  You may remember that Microsoft was the first company to start product activation;  They spent millions on the technology and yet people were still managing to bypass its tight control on pirated software.  Subscription model will result in keys being sold on the Internet for people to use the software but I suspect the idea came from the security services like FBI and CIA to control what people are doing and to keep track of the work.  Very useful to catch the terrorists.  People's data that is stored in the cloud can be scanned by FBI's software to pin-point anything suspicious acts by the author.  Also, commercial secrets can be accessed by the authorities to find and prosecute tax evaders and those companies trading with countries like Iran.

So Cloud has some benefits but we just have to wait and see if this is widely accepted by the general public and corporations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft's Model is a lot different in that you can still get Office on DVD though you pay more for it and their subscription is $100 (Office consist of 4 applications Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) for an entire year .  Plus once downloaded you can work on your files without a connection if your connection fails. If we could get web premium say for $100 per year, and I had decent internet. I might would consider it. Plus with out the connection you can't work on anything.

For me as sorry as my Cable connection is its just not practical. And I can't $1000 a month  or even $1200 a year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what happens in those many, many countries —mine included— where the Cloud version is simply not available? Not that it affects me personally very much: I stopped upgrading my Adobe products when I stopped receiving paid jobs because of my age... My guess is that piracy will increase at least by a factor of ten.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your fright of CC is understandable. Until Adobe fully writes about a max fee, no one should believe any company that says they will not be manipulating their subscription pricing in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, you don't have to be scarred.  There is always an alternative out there.  See this blog:

http://corelblogs.wordpress.com/2013/05/08/corel-is-all-about-giving-users-choice/

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines