Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search everywhere first?

May 04, 2009 May 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this has probably been brought up but to try to find previous posts about it exemplifies the actual problem! Why does the initial search in any forum search all the forums first?  For this post I tried to search for words such as "search" and got every forum listed except this one. I only wanted to look through this discussion. If I'm in the PS forum searching for "paths" I don't need to find every instance of "paths" in every forum.

Of course after waiting for an initial search of the whole Adobe discussion universe I know I can then choose "Search Options" to narrow the search parameters in that tiny little scroll box of every Adobe discussion.

I hope this gets changed to search in the present discussion first.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's like that because the jive developers are dopes who obviously never use their own forum software before shipping it.

thanks for playing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Dave says, the Jive developers are Jive A$$ Developers... who approach the world rear end forwards. An Ostrich would score points over them and not just because, in its traditional pose, its rear end points skywards... it would score because an Ostrich knows its own limitations and doesn't try and write software (complex or otherwise) for a large and active forum / fora. To add to said Jive A$$ developers (aka as inferior Ostriches, Latin name: Ostrichusmajoridiotus) they have no clue how people in complex discussion groups like these operate.

Unfortunately the Adobe top management has fallen under the spell of the bean counters... or, maybe, now comprises the bean counters.

The disaster of these new forums is symptomatic of the malaise pervading the whole system. New versions of various software are trundled out with an emphasis (or emphases) on delivering new features without any attempt to fix broken issues. In many cases, i'm not saying all, the new features will run into various problems as underlying root issues have not been sorted out.

Oh well... <shrug> pointless... as, apart from us users, no one from Adobe listens.

Cheers all and have a great week!

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another vote for please limit the default search to only search the forum currently in view. 

Also, the search options 'Where:' box is totally useless. A selection list of couple hundred items yet, only 5 in view at a time - scrolling through that is terrible. It needs to have 15 or 20 in view at a time or make the box size adjustable.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dendowling wrote on 2009-05-06 10:31 :

Another vote for please limit the default search to only search the forum currently in view.

Adobe has heard the votes and is asking its vendor. Only the response of

the vendor seems to indicate this is going to take a while:

http://www.jivesoftware.com/jivespace/thread/45362

It is kind of ironic the old forums were discontinued because they

couldn't be maintained anymore due to the heavy customizations made, and

now within one month after the move to the new forums the same thing is

happening. This might also explain why the forums are still on version

2.5.7 while 2.5.10 is already released.

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you using FireFox? If so, you might find these links helpful while waiting for forum upgrades:

You can use the Stylish add-on or the Greasemonkey script add-on and some of the tweaks posted in the Usability tweaks  thread:

FAQ (includes link for flex-width)

Can I over write the forums style sheets to change the layout?

Expanded Search "Where" Box

http://userstyles.org/styles/17180

Eric @ "heavyboots" MCA's collection of stylesheets/greasemonkey scripts

http://userstyles.org/users/21328

If you choose to use them, remember to turn them off before providing feedback about the forum appearance/performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines