• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

search within specific forum difficult

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2009 Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selecting a specific forum from the list of all forums is a little difficult.  The list box is small, so you can only see a few at a time as you scroll through a list that contains many dozens of subforums.  Also, the order that the forums are listed in that list box is hard to understand (seems arbitrary?).  I had to scroll through the entire list line by line carefully reading each one because I had no way of knowing when to expect the entry I was looking for.

Also, just accessing the "advanced search" (or whatever you want to call the ability to search only within one or more specific forums) is a little more difficult than it used to be.  I would prefer it if a link to that page was part of the standard forums-browsing UI, say a second button next to the "Search Forums" text-entry field.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 05, 2009 Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rgoer wrote:

… just accessing the "advanced search" (or whatever you want to call the ability to search only within one or more specific forums) is a little more difficult than it used to be.  I would prefer it if a link to that page was part of the standard forums-browsing UI, say a second button next to the "Search Forums" text-entry field.

What I did was to bookmark that page.  End of story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree emphatically!

Also, if I am browsing a specific forum, then I want the search to default to limiting itself to that forum. If I'm searching for FrameMaker information, I don't want to have to sift through topics from PhotoShop, Acrobat, InDesign, etc, etc, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed...

Initial search should relate and limit itself to the particular forum one's in... that's the way it used to be... search other forums can be done from the advanced option.

Another couple of point are:

1/ In the advanced option the drop down to select another forum is really clunky and one can't choose multiple forums

2/ Search strings are very limited...

The old systems was much better and far more meaningful.

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although the search function was one we used to bitch about a lot It wasn't reliable and the results came out jumbled. I agree though, finding a specific forum in that list is a nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it's actually quicker to go outside the forum, outside Adobe, and use:

littlegoogle.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh for pity's sake! Bitch as in moan, whinge, complain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just don't try and bitch about the Bucket!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 29, 2009 Apr 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh asterisks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jhabrix wrote:

Initial search should relate and limit itself to the particular forum one's in... that's the way it used to be... search other forums can be done from the advanced option.

I agree with that one - or at least it should default to the current forum with the ability to add/choose others.

1/ In the advanced option the drop down to select another forum is really clunky and one can't choose multiple forums

But you can. Or at least I can. Using [Ctrl] + click and/or [Shift] + click, just as in any multi-select Web forms control. (I suppose that would be Command+click on Mac)

Adobe_Forums-Search.png

Sure, that is using the Adobe Jive Forums: Expanded Search "Where" Box, but multi-select is available without that User Style Sheet, too.

2/ Search strings are very limited...

The old systems was much better and far more meaningful.

The old search system?! I totally disagree with that for both WebX and FuseTalk. I haven't tested the search string very thoroughly, but Search Tips seems to offer some pretty good versatility. But then, like the other JJ, John Joslin, I find the Google searches easier and faster. I do both Web and Groups searches if I need to search through the full history, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But then, like the other JJ, John Joslin, I find the Google searches easier and faster.

there's a theory on web design that says keep the eyeballs on your site. it's one that adobe apparently doesn't subscribe too, but then, it's more of a guideline, than a law...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Must be something goofy with Jive's implementation. I just noticed this at the bottom of [ the Search all forum pages, including Search: ]

Search powered by

Message was edited by: Mark A. Boyd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, the WebX forums had that. Wasn't  true there either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark...

1/ In the Old (is gold) forums, the initial serach was retricted to that forum

2/ Now, i have to do a 'dummy' search before i can target the forum i want

3/ All this styling is all very well, but how many users know about it and know how to do it and have the time to do it? I didn't know, there are no hints or tips up front, and quite honestly i have more important things to do than go b*gg*ring around fixing excreta that should have been taken care of initially.

4/ Yes, thanks to your post, i know i can now do a multiple selection of forums in the drop down... but there's nothing to indicate it and most people will not realise the option exists.

5/ The size of the drop down is too small... and ther's no, obvious, way to increase it... unless, as per your post, we look at point 3/ above... and how do i know how to style it?

6/ The earlier forums had multiple text options in the advanced search... anyway, we're talking advanced as the basic is the crappiest i've ever seen... Here there's nothing... no choice of strings or whatever...

7/ Unsw.

Hey Mark, this isn't aimed at you... It's just that you gave a detailed answer and, so, i'm responding....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, <strong>buc<span></span>ket!</strong>

I had a point-by-point response in the works when suddently my cursor was forced to the very beginning of the editor at every keystroke. enil tsrif eht no sdrawkcab epyt ylno dluoc I

To summarize:

3/ There is a FAQ for this forum showing the style sheet tricks, but relatively few people read FAQs. In other words, I do not have a viable argument for your point.

4/ This is pretty standard behavior on the Web for all select boxes defined as mult-select. Plain old HTML. So I chalk that one up to computer/browser inexperience.

7/ Unsw.

Eh?

Hey Mark, this isn't aimed at you... It's just that you gave a detailed answer and, so, i'm responding....

No problem, I didn't take it that way. Most of us are in this forum for the same reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unswear? A variation on the asterisks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The search in the fair forums was fairly simple.

In later years, the default search area was changed from all forums to current forum at the suggestion of a certain member, the other being the alternative.

And the search could include the poster by simply starting with the (full) screen name  (adding a few posts where others mentioned the full screen name).

Edit: Sorry Kath, wrong Reply button. This was a general comment; if anything an addition to the post by Jay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines