Secrets (to be) revealed

Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it is time to reveal some of the best guarded secrets, such as these,

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419406

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/414764

by placing a link to them, or to a section of overall information, at the top of each forum.

They are there, of course, but which proportion of newcomers will find their way to the

Adobe Forums > Adobe general forums

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general?view=discussions

page and spot them before starting to type the first urgent question an hour before the deadline of the work in question?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 29, 2012 Jul 29, 2012

Forget about those posts, they're out of date - hence the 'archived' title.

The Community Guidelines are the current references and are actively updated.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/guidelines

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I don't particularly agree with is under the "Don't" section where it says "

• Don't post a series of questions in a single post. Splitting them into separate threads increases your chances of a quick answer.

Sometimes a series of questions (especially if they're technical issues) can help diagnose an issue. All the questions could be related somehow but if they're in different threads, we may miss some important clues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I can see reason to discuss that one just a bit.

If one structures their post and questions properly, using paragraphs and mybe even outlining multiple questions, it should not be THAT hard to follow, and provide answers to say, 1, 5 & 7.

One positve for asking multiple questions in one thread is that if there is any chance that the OP's equipment is at fault, they only have to list it once. Even linking to another post can be confsusing and time-consuming for one, who is attempting to answer.

However, I believe that many of us have seen posts that basically ask, "How do I use this product," and proceed to jumble up dozens of questions, often in one long sentence, or paragraph.

Just my thoughts, and I can easily see many exceptions to either side.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that it may be time to update the contents.

One other change is EMPLOYEE > staff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2012 Jul 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget about those posts, they're out of date - hence the 'archived' title.

The Community Guidelines are the current references and are actively updated.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/guidelines

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update, Dave.

I was misled by the outdated reference here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general

As it appears, the (almost) current versions were even better hidden than the outdated ones (you have to go one level further up, past the outdated reference).

This seems to support the suggestion of inserting a reference in the forums, where the guidelines are to be used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've fixed the overview page - there was in fact a link to the Community Guidelines on the page, it's up at the top of the dark gray right-side panel. Nobody seems to look there so I've added it to the main panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, Dave.

Let us hope that the more prominent position will help.

Otherwise, it is easier to refer people to them.

It would be even better if it was also shown on the Discussion page, which I believe most will use whenever they find out how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

It would be even better if it was also shown on the Discussion page

It would, indeed, but unfortunately this is not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, this is not possible is an answer I was taught not to accept easily. Can this really be so difficult as to make it impossible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio, let me rephrase this: it is not possible with the forum software that we currently have.  (It is possible that the forum admin may be able to do it, but the forum moderators can only modify the Overview page.  Do not ask me what the logic behind this could possibly be...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overview pages are the only ones that have the 'widget' system we can use to change the layouts in a live site, and they're the only pages which can be forum-specific. The other page types (discussion, message, reply, profile, etc.) are universal across the entire site and are controlled by template files, written in Freemarker language, that form part of the 'theme' - they can only be changed by the developer team from outside the running application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then, if I understand you both correctly, it is possible to make this change with the current forum software, but only a few selected people can do it. If enough "members of this community" consider that the change would be useful, why not do it then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's possible for Adobe's user interface team to change the page layouts - but the next update isn't due for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better late than never...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, there is a link to the newest set of Community Guidelines on some Discussion pages. See for example the upper right-hand corner of http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/general .

We have to manually insert the widget with the Community Guidelines link, so with thousands of sub-forums, we have a ways to go...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terri,

I am referring to Discussion page as in:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/general?view=discussions#

I no longer remember how to switch to them (if still possible), but in my Bookmarks I have those views, so I rarely see the Overview (kind of) pages at all.

Thank you for making me finally grasp the fact that the addition is only there in certain forums; I thought it was a general fix because I also saw it in the Illustrator forum; rereading posts #6&11 I can see my misinterpretation.

I believe the universal addition, especially to the Discussion pages, is one for the wish list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normal users cannot select a default view mode because in the new forum skin they aren't shown the tab interface. You can navigate to the overview mode by moving up one level on the breadcrumb header (e.g. on this page click " > Forum Comments > "), but you'll have to use bookmarks to make a particular view mode sticky.

Jacob Bugge wrote:

I no longer remember how to switch to them (if still possible), but in my Bookmarks I have those views, so I rarely see the Overview (kind of) pages at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I thought it might be so, Dave.

I presume that if you want to view a full 100 threads per page in any forum, you will have to add the following to the Discussion page URL yourself (and remember to bookmark the full page view):

#/?per_page=100

This is hereby suggested to anyone taking part in the faster forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines