Short and long links

Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 03, 2009 Feb 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post of mine

Claudio González, "Report spam or inappropriate posts here" #16, 3 Feb 2009 2:54 am

started an interesting discussion on the pros and cons of posting shortened links. In an attempt of trying to keep the Spam forum for what it is, I am suggestiong that any furhter discussion be moved here.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 05, 2009 Feb 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I don't see the tooltips type information

Unless the poster has coded it in, of course, but very few do.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 06, 2009 Feb 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>[in] Firefox I see the full url in the status bar

Ditto.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, nobody has explicitly said so, but I think the latest posters are confirming that my summary in message #15 is correct...

And of course there is no need to get angry XD

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> the long URL will display so you know where it is going to take you

>It certainly does in Firefox. What sort of browser doesn't?

nobody reads post #16. :)

dave milbut, "Short and long links" #16, 5 Feb 2009 6:18 pm

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and while we're discussing making big things smaller to comfortably fit the forum layout, it sure would be nice if the forums included a wee bit of code that would automatically scale large images down to a reasonable sizesay maybe 640pxW.

Click on it, and view full size.

WebX should be able to do that without completely rewriting the entire app.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phos,

That excellent suggestion should be repeated in the hopefully immortal Forum Feature Request Thread: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc157dd/336.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear ya, Jacob.

But how could that possibly NOT be obvious to the developers? If URLs and images are known layout killers, surely we users aren't the only folks aware of it. They MUST know. And yet they don't seem too concerned about fixing it.

I get tired of beating my head against the brickwall mindset of developers who just don't like being told what is needed in their applications.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>But how could that possibly NOT be obvious to the developers?

developer: don't make me reach through the screen and smack you phos! ;)

>I get tired of beating my head against the brickwall mindset of developers who just don't like being told what is needed in their applications.

that's cuz you don't sign our paychecks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your perspective Dave, but when something is requested for years, by a wide variety of users, and no good argument can be mustered for NOT implementing a new feature, that's a brickwall, customer-exclusionary mindset.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a developer would have no idea of the intent of hte poster and shouldn't try to impose their vision. you have screaming the other way. "oh! you're messing with my posts!"

for every person who has a good idea, there are 10 who think it's a stinker. :)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 19, 2009 Feb 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I'm posting to make the DUMB thread drop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines