Short and long links

Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post of mine

Claudio González, "Report spam or inappropriate posts here" #16, 3 Feb 2009 2:54 am

started an interesting discussion on the pros and cons of posting shortened links. In an attempt of trying to keep the Spam forum for what it is, I am suggestiong that any furhter discussion be moved here.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Short and long links

Feb 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post of mine

Claudio González, "Report spam or inappropriate posts here" #16, 3 Feb 2009 2:54 am

started an interesting discussion on the pros and cons of posting shortened links. In an attempt of trying to keep the Spam forum for what it is, I am suggestiong that any furhter discussion be moved here.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 03, 2009 0
Feb 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps replicating here the original discussion may promote further discussions on the subject. Main question for me: is it really unsafe to post shortened URLs?

What follows has been copied and pasted from the "Spam" thread:

Claudio González - 2:54am Feb 3, 09 PST (#16 of 33) Edited: 03-Feb-2009 at 03:02am

Link to a website offering extremely cheap software:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=39&catid=220&threadid=1422055&enterthread=y

(sorry, I'm not using my Mac, and I don't have here the instructions for shortening links).

Addition: there message is actually duplicated...

Post Reply | Bookmark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neil Keller - 6:31am Feb 3, 09 PST (#17 of 33)

Claudio,

Mac or Win, to use a shortened URL, go to http://tinyurl.com, and follow the simple instructions.

Neil

Post Reply | Bookmark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phos±four dots - 9:45am Feb 3, 09 PST (#18 of 33)

Or:
http://metamark.net/

or:
http://tr.im/

or any of a whole bunch of other URL shortening services:
http://mashable.com/2008/01/08/url-shortening-services/

Post Reply | Bookmark

Mike Kazlow - 9:49am Feb 3, 09 PST (#19 of 33)

I understand the desire for shortened urls, but personally I prefer the
longer true url. Anyone that would click on an encoded url in this
modern day is truly asking for a problem---even in this thread were
regulars post. We have seen enough impersonation take place that a fast
click on an encoded url can land one's computer were the sun doesn't shine.

Just my 2 cents...Mike

Post Reply | Bookmark

John T Smith - 10:41am Feb 3, 09 PST (#20 of 33)

What Mike said... I won't click on any link that is shrouded

An infection could be as "simple" as a computer being turned into a Zombie Bot to become part of a spammer's network... or it could be spyware that steals your login and password so the program's writer is then able to clean out your bank account

Post Reply | Bookmark

Neil Keller - 11:00am Feb 3, 09 PST (#21 of 33)

tinyurl.com offers the option of a preview.

Neil

Post Reply | Bookmark

pjonesCET - 11:06am Feb 3, 09 PST (#22 of 33)

A problem with long URL's That Mozilla products don't seem to have, it that the URL is not recognized as something unique and therefor after 72 or 84 characters in length a linefeed or return is inserted.

With Mozilla products a URL could be the true length of pi and it stays on one line. Mozilla products (SeaMonkey/Firefox/Thunderbird) are to when they se a URL such as a Mailto: http/https:, or FTP: that is treated as a unique item and therefore ever character in the URL remains on one line and does not switch back over until if see a return or linefeed. IE is notorious for mangling URL's.

Thus the need for a system small URLs.

Post Reply | Bookmark

Phos±four dots - 11:25am Feb 3, 09 PST (#23 of 33)

Firefox 3.x wraps long URLs.

Post Reply | Bookmark

r_harvey - 5:06pm Feb 3, 09 PST (#24 of 33) Edited: 03-Feb-2009 at 05:10pm

Or just do it like this:

Short, descriptive text

Forum Editing Tips

Post Reply | Bookmark

Claudio González - 5:32pm Feb 3, 09 PST (#25 of 33) Edited: 03-Feb-2009 at 05:40pm

OK, OK, I got the messages. All I was saying is that I didn't know how to do it on a Win machine.

By the way, I have noticed that the issue has some (to me) unexpected derivations which I think deserve further discussion. Should we take this to a new thread and keep this channel clean?

Addition: new thread opened here:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b7c633

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2009 0
Participant ,
Feb 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To prevent extended drift in the Spam thread, I just want to tell Claudio here that I didn't see this thread until after I posted in the other. My and Dave's quips extended the thread by two short lines, and neither were the type that would cause a host to close the thread. The five or six posted thereafter merely extended the drift (although again, little chance of causing a closure, since everything was polite and reasonable.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2009 0
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Or just do it like this:

Short, descriptive text

Forum Editing Tips

Your copy&paste will just copy the selected text, not the underlying links. The post actually read like this:

Or just do it like this:

<a href=" long URL"> Short, descriptive text</a>

Forum Editing Tips

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2009 0
Feb 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, r, that's the way I use in my Mac and couldn't recall, and I think it was you who suggested it years ago. My problem was that I only wanted to have messages #16 through #25 displayed, and I don't know if I could do it using this method.

However, my biggest concern is:

is it really unsafe to post/open shortened links?

If so, how dangerous it is, and what are the real risks? I am absolutely ignorant in the matter, and what has been posted is not very clear for me.

Thank you in advance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2009 0
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the NNTP users get whiny when we make short text links.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2009 0