• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Skype Scam Alert in Community Forums

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2015 Nov 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an email I sent to Adobe technical support.

I posted in the community forums about the whereabouts of the Adobe Premiere Elements 12 download location for Windows 64 bit. Soon after, a user named "Customer Service!" (without quotes) privately messaged me the following

Hi!
We apologize for the inconvenience caused we will help you out to resolve the problem which you are facing for further assistance provide us your Skype ID and Telephone Number so our one of the support person will contact you!

Note:-For reply go to adobe forums Inbox and reply for the same Message!
Or
Note:-For reply go to Your E-mail Account Inbox and reply on the same Email!

Thanks & Regards
Adobe Help And Support

I don't have a recovery phone number for my account so I gave him or her one that didn't matter, and I don't have skype. I recently had a very pleasant experience with online chat customer service with Adobe, so this already was completely odd. I knew this was probably a scam, so I played along a little. He or she persisted. Customer Service! sent another message:

Kindly setup skype its   free search on google and provide your skype id so support person will contact you Immediately!

I made a skype name off the top of my head and sent the user ID to Customer Service! He or she replied:

Thanks  we have send you the requets on  skype kindly add us for further communication!

Once on skype, it was obvious that this was a scammer. This was not a video call, it was just a chat. The skype avatar was an Adobe logo. I attached the conversation. I even tried to initiate a phone call/video chat. It was outright rejected.

I think that users of the forums should be notified that when questions are posted to trust answers only given in the posts and be warned that customer help responses in private messages should be treated as suspect of scams outright. I love Adobe products, and I know that less savvy users of the forums might fall prey to these types of scams. See the attachment for the Skype conversation in which I baited the scam artist for all the red flags. He or she is allegedly from Brooklyn, New York according to Skype.

[1:40:36 PM] *** Help And Support would like to add you on Skype (note that Help and Support's avatar on Skype was an Adobe logo)

Hi Dominic Gonzalez, I'd like to add you as a contact. ***

[1:40:47 PM] *** Dominic Gonzalez has shared contact details with Help And Support. ***

[1:41:05 PM] Dominic Gonzalez: added

[1:41:29 PM] Help And Support: hi

[1:41:33 PM] Help And Support: how we can help you today?

[1:42:39 PM] Dominic Gonzalez: well, I recently changed my email over to this new one, and had my license for Premiere Elements 12 changed over too. But the download link for the WIndows English version is gone. I tried downloading v13 and v14 and using the serial but obviously this didn't work.

[1:42:59 PM] Dominic Gonzalez: I'm clearly not doing something right here or maybe something went wrong when my license was transfered

[1:43:49 PM] Help And Support: stay online

[1:43:52 PM] Dominic Gonzalez: okay

[1:45:44 PM] Help And Support: we certainly help you to get issue resolved

[1:45:51 PM] Dominic Gonzalez: awesome!

[1:45:52 PM] Help And Support: provide your adobe id and password so we can check?

[1:48:07 PM] Dominic Gonzalez: hang on

[1:48:16 PM] Help And Support: sure

[1:49:55 PM] Dominic Gonzalez: how come you didn't respond to me through the regular customer service interface?

[1:50:34 PM] Dominic Gonzalez: and why would you need my password to check?

[1:50:59 PM] Help And Support: We not required your personal password

[1:51:04 PM] Help And Support: either serial number if you have?

[1:51:28 PM] Dominic Gonzalez: oh okay, hang on

[1:52:09 PM] Help And Support: sure

[1:54:02 PM] *** Call to Help And Support, busy.

Send video message ***

[1:54:14 PM] Help And Support: chat support available as of now

[1:54:36 PM] Dominic Gonzalez: oh okay my bad. I accidentally clicked the wrong button

[1:54:43 PM] Dominic Gonzalez: hold on a few minutes

I blocked them and reported this to Adobe. Just beware that anyone contacting you as Adobe tech support through the private message system or Skype instead of through the public channels is not genuine. I baited this person out to report it to Adobe. Here is the evidence. I've dealt with a lot of scammers, and they aren't stupid--not even this one. Scammers are serious criminals and should not be taken lightly. The moment you think a scammer is a dumb criminal is the moment you let your guard down. Here is the evidence that they are lurking the forums.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2015 Nov 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dominic,

Thank you so much for reporting this here- I have deactivated this user. We're very glad that you realized this was a scammer and did not share any personal information. We have been trying to educate customers about this risk- we have an alert in our Guidelines and many individual spaces have announcement alerts: Community Guidelines Thank you for posting here to increase awareness even more.

Thanks,
Madison

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2016 Jan 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your post.  i've been contacted by someone called "michael.Adobe" and he did the same thing to me via skype.  and of coz i didn't pass him my password.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2016 Jan 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks... I have reported to Staff to have him banned

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2016 Jan 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John T Smith,

Here's another one.  I just joined, and I received a spam response in private email from the very first question I posted.  It is the same scam as the dD_Mb described.  Below is a screen shot of the email, and following that is the source info, with my email address removed.  I hope this helps.  Thanks.

Adobe Scammer.jpg

Subject: Re: Adobe.Tim Hanson has sent you a message - Is there a CS2 for a

[extra information removed for privacy... Mod]

[only the forum ID of "Adobe.Tim Hanson" is needed for a report]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2016 Jan 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks... reported to Staff... will be deactivated the next time the Staff person on duty has a chance to check the reserved area

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi this just happened to me today. I never imagined such would be occuring in the Adobe Community Forums. Please follow up on this user claiming to be working with Adobe Help Desk.

This was the reply I received: from username John Mann.Adobe. Here is the chat history and skype chat history:

forums_noreply@adobe.com

John Mann.Adobe

Hi!
We Sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. For better understanding of the issue provide us your Skype ID and Telephone Number so our one of the support person will contact you!

Note:-For reply go to adobe forums Inbox and reply for the same Message!
Or
Note:-For reply go to Your E-mail Account Inbox and reply on the same Email!

Thanks & Regards
Help Desk

[10:17:27] Help And Support: hi

[10:17:32] Help And Support: how we can help you today>

[10:17:32] fish bone: Hallo there

[10:21:53] fish bone: I am working with a German based company. We recently purchased the Adobe CS5.5 Master Collection eng Win. from Amazon UK. The problem is during the installation, English is not availalble in the language drop down menu. So we had to select German. The Product key would be accepted and after the installation, whenever I start a program, I get the messege to re-enter the Key, which of course wouldnt be accepted. Serial Number is not valid for this Product. I de-installed the whole package and downloaded the suite from Adobe UK, so that I could select English as the main language, but the key would still not be accepted

[10:23:01] Help And Support: We certainly help you to get issue resolved

[10:23:10] Help And Support: provide your adobe id and password so we can check?

[10:23:23] fish bone: I have the Original Package, the installation DVDs etc.

[10:24:04] Help And Support: Stay online

[10:24:55] fish bone: we havent registered the product yet. The Software was meant to be for one of our employees in the Media Department

[10:25:47] fish bone: [Serial number removed. -Mod.]

[10:26:58] Help And Support: We like to inform you CS 5 and CS 5.5 Is to old and no more supported by adobe might be you aware after CS 6 adobe move to CC 2016 Products and our CS 6 support team move to India so support for CS 6 available for life long.

[10:27:11] Help And Support: if you want we provide you the CS 6 so you can start your work in a proper way

[10:28:37] fish bone: That means we have to do another Purchase? The Software doesnt come cheap. Why is the Key not being accepted?

[10:29:35] Help And Support: because activation  server is already closed for older version of the software CS 6 will cost you but you will get  the discount because you already using our older version of the software

[10:30:13] fish bone: Then I have to return the Software to AMZ UK and order for the latest version

[10:30:32] Help And Support: yes please

[10:30:54] Help And Support: CS 6 master collection will cost you after  all the discounts 400 Euro

[10:31:31] fish bone: Ok, so there is nothing much I can do. Thank you for your help. I would return the CS 5.5 and order the latest version

[10:31:42] Help And Support: Sure

[10:31:50] Help And Support: You're welcome

[10:32:10] fish bone: Thanks a lot for your help. Wishing you a pleasant day

[10:32:25] Help And Support: You too

[10:32:28] Help And Support: Bye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forwarded your report to those in charge. In the future make sure you're not posting private information (such as serial numbers) to the forums, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks.. But I never posted the Serial Number.. That was only the lot number and the EAN.

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2016 Jul 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was contacted from someone on here...through Skype...Is this a scammer?

[7/4/16, 12:39:20 AM] Help And Support: hi

[7/4/16, 12:39:25 AM] Help And Support: how we can help you today?

[7/4/16, 10:43:39 AM] Mary Smith: Hi,

[7/4/16, 10:44:11 AM] Mary Smith: Are you familiar with my issues? First with the updater and then printing in photoshop crashes program.

[7/4/16, 10:45:10 AM] Mary Smith: I realize today is a holiday. Can we talk tomorrow?

[7/4/16, 10:48:43 AM] Help And Support: may I know which application you are using?

[7/4/16, 10:48:54 AM] Mary Smith: CS5

[7/4/16, 10:49:10 AM] Mary Smith: I understand if you are busy today with the holiday

[7/4/16, 10:49:21 AM] Help And Support: we certainly help you to get issue resolved.

provide your adobe id and password so we can check ?

[7/4/16, 10:49:28 AM] Help And Support: no its ok

[7/4/16, 10:50:02 AM] Mary Smith: for the website?

[7/4/16, 10:50:25 AM] Help And Support: may I know your email id and the password which you use to logion on adobe.com?

[7/4/16, 10:50:41 AM] Mary Smith:  [I provided the id]

[7/4/16, 10:51:06 AM] Mary Smith: pswd: [I provided the password]

[7/4/16, 10:51:18 AM] Help And Support: please stay online

[7/4/16, 10:51:22 AM] Mary Smith: ok

[7/4/16, 10:52:54 AM] Help And Support: Thank you for your patience

[7/4/16, 10:53:00 AM] Help And Support: currently you are using windows or mac?

[7/4/16, 10:53:32 AM] Mary Smith: El Capitan 10.11.15

[7/4/16, 10:53:48 AM] Mary Smith: 10.11.5

[7/4/16, 10:54:10 AM] Mary Smith: I bought this mac with Yosemite

[7/4/16, 10:55:22 AM] Help And Support: We like to inform you CS 5 is to old and no more compatible with EL Capitan and no more available on our server. if you will try to install its create conflict on your mac.

might be you aware after CS 6 adobe move to CC 2016 products and our CS 6 support team move to India so support for CS 6 available for life long.

so we can do is we provide you the CS 6 so you can start your work in a proper way

[7/4/16, 10:57:46 AM] Mary Smith: So, I have to buy the whole suite again. This is so frustrating with Apple stuff. I have had several other programs not work with Yosemite and this is too much. I have the upgrade for CS5 so what is the best way to update the products. Right now I mostly use Photoshop.

[7/4/16, 10:58:24 AM] Help And Support: may I know what all application do you want example. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign,?

[7/4/16, 11:00:07 AM] Mary Smith: Right now for my artwork I use Photoshop. I did do web development and used Dreamweaver, etc. For now, I really want Photoshop and InDesign

[7/4/16, 11:00:56 AM] Help And Support: we can do is we provide you the Design And Web Premium Include Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat, Illustrator and Dreamweaver

[7/4/16, 11:01:04 AM] Mary Smith: I also want to stop Apples updates on the OS. Is that wise?

[7/4/16, 11:01:09 AM] Mary Smith: That sounds good.

[7/4/16, 11:01:12 AM] Help And Support: and you will get the discount because you already using our older version of the software

[7/4/16, 11:01:22 AM] Mary Smith: Ok, sounds good.

[7/4/16, 11:01:41 AM] Help And Support: CS 6 will cost you after all the discount $350 USD for life long.

[7/4/16, 11:02:07 AM] Mary Smith: Ok, do I get a disc to reinstall if it crashes or my pc crashes?

[7/4/16, 11:02:22 AM] Help And Support: you will get the download

[7/4/16, 11:02:47 AM] Mary Smith: Can I order a disc? I am older and know things can go wrong and do

[7/4/16, 11:02:48 AM] Help And Support: if pc crashes so you can again download and install or else we will help you

[7/4/16, 11:03:05 AM] Mary Smith: I know until you guys discontinue the products

[7/4/16, 11:03:16 AM] Help And Support: no worried we will help you with download, install and activate the CS 6

[7/4/16, 11:03:23 AM] Help And Support: CS 6 is for life long.

[7/4/16, 11:03:28 AM] Help And Support: so you not need to worry

[7/4/16, 11:03:40 AM] Mary Smith: What do you mean for life long?

[7/4/16, 11:03:53 AM] Help And Support: CS 6 is the final version so no more CS 7 will come near furture

[7/4/16, 11:03:58 AM] Help And Support: future*

[7/4/16, 11:04:07 AM] Mary Smith: Ohhh really?

[7/4/16, 11:04:07 AM] Help And Support: so support for  CS 6 available all the time.

[7/4/16, 11:04:09 AM] Help And Support: yes

[7/4/16, 11:04:22 AM] Mary Smith: Ok, and how much for just Photoshop?

[7/4/16, 11:04:39 AM] Help And Support: photoshop CS 6 will cost you after all the discounts $200 USD

[7/4/16, 11:06:09 AM] Mary Smith: Ok, I guess the whole suite is a better deal. Quick question,  I don’t have access to the CS4 id but I have the upgrade of CS5 here. I moved a couple months ago and can’t remember where the other software package is

[7/4/16, 11:06:44 AM] Help And Support: you don't have CS 4 serial number?

[7/4/16, 11:07:41 AM] Mary Smith: no, I can’t get it unless it is accessible from the software on the mac

[7/4/16, 11:07:46 AM] Help And Support: Creative suite products no more registered with adobe id.. only CC 2016 monthly subscription products register with adobe..

so we provide the support for Creative suite products

[7/4/16, 11:08:13 AM] Help And Support: CS 4, CS 5 is no more accessible with Mac EL Capitan

[7/4/16, 11:08:13 AM] Mary Smith: What can I do?

[7/4/16, 11:08:28 AM] Help And Support: we are providing CS 6 to you

[7/4/16, 11:08:32 AM] Help And Support: so why you need CS 4?

[7/4/16, 11:09:02 AM] Mary Smith: I thought you might need me to provide the product id for CS4 since I upgraded that to CS5

[7/4/16, 11:09:30 AM] Help And Support: so we don't required. we have your details and CS 6 is not upgrade we provide the complete software

[7/4/16, 11:09:46 AM] Mary Smith: ok, what next?

[7/4/16, 11:10:13 AM] Help And Support: we have to generate the invoice first so provide your full name, email id, phone number, address and area postal code?

[7/4/16, 11:10:22 AM] Mary Smith: do we uninstall CS5?

[7/4/16, 11:10:59 AM] Help And Support: yes

[7/4/16, 11:11:05 AM] Mary Smith: [I provided my name and address and phone number]

[7/4/16, 11:11:18 AM] Mary Smith: [I provided my phone number]

[7/4/16, 11:11:33 AM] Help And Support: stay online

[7/4/16, 11:11:37 AM] Mary Smith: ok

[7/4/16, 11:16:26 AM] Help And Support: Thank you for your patience

[7/4/16, 11:16:59 AM] Help And Support: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/cs6-product-downloads.html

open this link then find and click on CS6 Design & Web Premium Then below Mac OS X Click on

File 1 of 1

(4.5 GB)

[7/4/16, 11:17:30 AM] Help And Support: once download complete leave the downloaded file as it is because installation required serial number..

[7/4/16, 11:17:55 AM] Help And Support: we have send you the email regarding invoice please check and let us know if the payment locations are near by you?

[7/4/16, 11:22:00 AM] Help And Support: are you there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back and re-read reply #1 - that is a SCAM and you have just given away your Adobe ID and password

Go RIGHT NOW and change your Adobe password

If you have it, post that person's Adobe ID here so they may be deactivated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another one: Adobe_Rick Jackson uses SkypeID adobesystems_24x7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2016 Feb 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This JUST happened to me, like RIGHT NOW!! I was waiting for someone named Adobe_Peter Maeck to message me on Skype. His email is forums_noreply@adobe.com

Can't believe it! WOW!

Thanks for making this post!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2016 Feb 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ayanna,

Thank you so much for reporting! We're glad you didn't share any private information with the scammer.

I've deactivated this user.

Thanks,

Madison

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2016 Mar 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

scam.jpg

I had a similar experience today

The details:

Justin Graham.Adobe from email id: forums_noreply@adobe.com

skype id: adobesystems_24x7

Please deactivate the user

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 04, 2016 Mar 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ajid,

I've deactivated this user- thank you so much for reporting and for providing a screen shot.

Let us know if we can help with anything else!

Thanks,

Madison

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this just happened to me...once he asked for my password I knew it it was a scam. All I'm trying to do is get customer service. geez!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, post the Adobe user name here so the person may be deactivated, such as the "Justin Graham.Adobe" that was posted above

Second, Since this is an open forum, not Adobe support... you need to contact Adobe staff to help

Chat/Phone: Mon - Fri  5am - 7pm  (US Pacific Time) <=== NOTE DAYS AND TIME

Be sure to remain signed in with your Adobe ID before accessing the link below

Creative Cloud support (all Creative Cloud customer service issues)

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/service-ccm.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I did change my password.

Here's his id:

Help.Robert Selden

our team send you the message over skype once you will be available come online and chat with our team

Can you get him? I feel so stupid. I did read the post and that's what put me on to it but I wasn't sure. Thanks for your response. He now has my full name, address and phone number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the email I just received..I am posting this to help others recognize a scam before I did...

Order Information

People

Message body

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you also change the password in any other accounts you have, if you used the same one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you...I will make that change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What amazes me is that people are still falling for scam messages, emails, phone-calls etc in 2016.  The email in post#19 is from someone using outlook.com.  This should be a trigger point because Adobe is not hard up to use free email accounts on Microsoft.  Adobe is a multi-billion pound business and they have got their own email addresses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2016 Jul 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is a case of "any port in a storm" where someone is so upset due to a problem that they do not pay close attention when "someone, anyone" offers help

About the same as someone who doesn't pay attention to where they are, and posts a message "anywhere" instead of finding the correct forum for their question

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to let us know. I would send his IP address to admin to block him. People who are new in this can be victim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines