• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow? Does everyone have it wrong...

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2009 Sep 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realise that everyone,  well a lot of people are commenting on the slowness of this forum (there this post now applies to this forum) and the forums in general. A particular example was yesterday when, for a long while, no one could even find them.

I wonder though, if we're all barking up the wrong tree? Could it be that, in fact, the forums are so blazingly fast they've left us behind?

Time-shift. Maybe these new servers are time-shift ones. We're on today's time and they're already on tomorrow's? And maybe, just maybe, if we're very lucky we may catch up sometime in the future. And maybe that's what finally hppened... they slowed down and we caught up...

On the other hand, given the nature of time-shift it could be that while we're on today's time, they're on yesterday's?

Thanks due to 'the_wine_snob', aka Hunt, who opened up this line of thought.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you are new here, you may not be aware of the forum FAQ.  Im pasting a portion of the contents of one post in the faq that details the top issues with the forum that are "in queue".   You will notice that performance is #1.   It is a well known issue.   The obvious question is when will it be fixed.  Only adobe can answer that.  They keep upgrade schedules pretty guarded.

Ongoing issues being researched:

• Performance issues
  • Multiple email posts when a user sends only one email to the forum
  • Updating email headers for better e-mail client grouping
  • Address issues in posting code snippets via email
  • Fixing cookie/session time out issues that cause users to have to log in multiple times in a day
  • Queue issues with virus-scans of file attachments and profile image uploads
  • Adding new file types to the allowed list for file attachments
  • Adjusting the height of the Post Reply box and getting it to stick
  • Broken images and 404 errors when a session ID is inserted into a forum URL by the forum software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Wrigley wrote:

Since you are new here,

<snipped to avoid duplication>

Thanks you very much indeed for alerting me to the FAQ. That's the kind of response i expected when i posted my first thread here saying "Hello..." which got moved to the PS Lounge and a subsequent one, "Hello... Part II", which for some reason got locked by an extremely rude someone called Jokhem van Dieten.

Once again, thanks for posting the FAQ regarding the speed, or lack of it, of these forums.

In fact, i was postulating the opposite thought. Perhaps the forums are too fast? Could that be a possibility?

Thanks again...

Cheers,

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 05, 2009 Sep 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wake up Curt!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 05, 2009 Sep 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lay some blame on the Java developer mindset.  Java technology has a lot going for it, taken objectively, but the problem is that the developer community has gone off the deep end down this utopian path of perfection, with no rearview mirror available, towards a fantasy future where we'll have software that practically writes itself, and requires no maintenance! (Wouldn't that make them unemployed anyway?)

Most Java engineers I've met care more about:

• Automation to "avoid extra work" that tends to create problems (which require extra work to fix......)
  • Standards (regardless of whether they know for sure that they apply for them and add value)
  • Best practices (regardless of whether they know for sure that they apply for them and add value)
  • Fancy/sophisticated "smart" software or new "fad" features--regardless of whether these have to be essentially hacked together to function
  • Dynamic designs supposedly (but not really) supporting 100 different configurations and environments (of which, maybe 1-2 will ever be used)
  • YAGNI features like 100% database independence or "what if 'they' want to do this in the future?" bloatware and complexity
  • Code reuse as a top priority to "avoid extra work" (forgetting that this is a trade off vs flexibility and may or may not improve maintainability)
  • Massive bloated "one size fits all" software libraries that can do everything you need.... plus 1,000 things you don't need
  • etc.

Ok I'm getting off topic, but the point is that PERFORMANCE and simplicity are not anywhere on that list. They aren't even listed last. Performance problems are always offloaded and blamed on the hardware, the network, or whatever else they can think of-- it's never the Java developer's fault.  It's never their choice to use 15 different fancy/bloated "shortcut" tools so they can put them all on their resume and show off their wide range of expertise.

This is the mindset of most Java developers, therefore Jive is the same.  Performance is not a priority until after they've done everything else, all of which they value more.  The answer will be more RAM, bigger servers, and "faster" databases because they'd probably have to start from scratch to fix their performance problems.  Maybe I'm just biased but that's the skeptic's view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 06, 2009 Sep 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lay some blame on the Java developer mindset

are you talking about javascript?!!

STOP CONFUSING THE TWO THEY'RE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!

it's like saying i blame chickens because the gas milage in my chevy sucks!

now, don't do that again!

(and you're wrong anyway. it's the implimentation that sucks, not the technology itself.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

I lay some blame on the Java developer mindset

are you talking about javascript?!!

STOP CONFUSING THE TWO THEY'RE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!

it's like saying i blame chickens because the gas milage in my chevy sucks!

now, don't do that again!

(and you're wrong anyway. it's the implimentation that sucks, not the technology itself.)

Dave, Chris, I'm not talking about JavaScript in the least (except perhaps under the 'fancy hack category' but I didn't mention it specifically).  I perfectly understood the difference between the two well over 10 years ago!  I do blame their Javascript garbage for many problems such as their Ajax bugs, but I'm not mentioning it here.  And Dave "it's the implimentation that sucks, not the technology itself" is exactly what I'm saying, refer to my 2nd sentence.   I wouldn't still be using it if I thought it totally sucked..

I'm talking about the jspa extension above--this crap appears to be Java/JSP powered on the back end (not talking about front end JavaScript).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When people accuse software engineers of not knowing the difference between Java and JavaScript, this happens:

BabyJesusCry.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The similarity between Java and Javascript only extends to 4 letters.  That's it.  Really, they're nothing alike.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Javascript originated with Netscape (the old Mozilla).

Java is a complete application language developed by Sun Micro Systems (not I said developed not necessarily created by)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines