Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow Slow Slow Slow Slow.....

Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn the jive a$$ hamster is slower than the old Webx hamster. I've been logged out of the forum while waiting to get in.

that is weird.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , May 04, 2009 May 04, 2009
... and we said it wouldn't work!

And we got sworn at and were insulted for having the temerity to say it; and were told to give the new format a chance … but we couldn't have been more right:

Adobe's pig-headed dive into Jive has destroyed their Forums irreparably.

Just looking-in in the hope of seeing some trace of improvement … and promptly checking-out again ….

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 181 Replies 181
Advocate ,
Apr 23, 2009 Apr 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you're there John, I hope you're feeling better. Is there any chance at all you can give us some clues as to what is being worked on, any issues that won't be fixed at all, what kind of progress there is? I'm sure at least some of the natives would settle down a bit if they could get some kind of progress report.

At least one little bucket of trouble has been fixed worked around

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe it, or not, I still have no voice. Just finishing up a run of antibiotics to try to clear my chest. About to run out of cough syrup.  At this point we're looking at a lot of things. Trying to set priority lists, figuring out which are bugs, which are feature requests, which are covered by contracts, who would make some of the more cosmetic changes, etc. So I can't give a good detailed list yet. I don't want to make empty promises about things.  John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not even 'we can't/won't be doing this' or 'we can do that but it will take a while' or 'this one has us stumped' ???? And look after yourself, I think you're our only hope! And look after yourself anyway.

I hope someone's talking to Jochem, he really seems to know his stuff re the emails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do expect some changes in the email threading. I think they have a way to remove the character string and it is being tested now.  John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno Bokor wrote:

my point wasn't to stir up clouds of any kind. Here's the thing, when first starting my browser, my forums homepage loads up at 4.876 seconds, this thread loaded up in 2.159 seconds, going back to the homepage took 0.608 seconds, loading a random thread with 2 posts in it took 0.586 seconds, loading the main PS Windows forums took 5.665 seconds and reloading that same forum took 2.843 seconds. I don't know about you guys but i say that this is acceptable.

Those times you have just specified are miserable, not remotely acceptable.  It is now evident that you just have abysmally low expectations and very lax standards.

As I've said before, the WebX forums, when they were performing normally, would have performed each one of those tasks you mention in less than one second.  It was just like changing TV channels with the remote.  There was no chance for the progrees bar on the web browser even to show up.

The reply function is the worst here.  It takes 14 to 25 seconds after one hits the reply button to when one can start typing.  Those 14 to 25 seconds in the old WebX forums took a grand total of 0.00 seconds because the reply box was already there, at the end of the thread, just waiting for your input.  Posting was less than one second, practically instantaneous.

Thank you for clarifying what you meant by "fast" performance.  I'd never buy a used car from you, man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2009 Apr 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno Bokor wrote:

then why don't i feel this sluggishness that everybody around here whines about? you'd think that i would feel it more than you guys considering that i'm halfway across the globe from the servers

Pardon, but I at least have limited myself to giving facts, which I think is quite different from what one normally understands by "whining". And Santiago, Chile is not much closer than Romania to the servers, so we can rule out distance as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slow Slow Slow Slow Slow.  I don't mean to correct anyone but now it's actually a lot slower than that.  I'm on dial-up and I never expect it to be fast, but this is ridicules.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q Photo wrote:

Slow Slow Slow Slow Slow.  I don't mean to correct anyone but now it's actually a lot slower than that.  I'm on dial-up and I never expect it to be fast, but this is ridicules.

Hey there Q! 

it probably would make a difference on dial-up.  I'm on FiOS and it's usually pretty quick, except for here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q, I admire you. I can (more or less, and barely) stand the 10+ seconds loading times of my cable connection, but I don't think I could wait for long enough using  dial-up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the interest of fairness, I want to say that this morning I am having no problems with forums.  Pages load rather quickly, especially for dialup.  Very short wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyone from Adobe of Jive who is monitoring anything?  The responsiveness today is absolutely horrible.  I'm starting to get the feeling that the Powers That Be don't give a damn one way or the other.  How else can we react to the total lack of updates/fixes/issues which have been known since before the forums went live.

This is discouraging, to say the least!

EDIT:  It took close to a MINUTE for this post to be accepted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this morning these forums were blindingly Slow!!!!

When I opened my browser which atomically goes to Photoshop Mac. My cats were meowing for breakfast so I went and fed them. I thought a cup of coffee would be good. turned on the radio futzed around in the kitchen for a while. came back to the computer and the forum still had not loaded. this was over half an hour.

but amazingly enough I was not logged out.

this Jive software is the worst. I can't believe these guys actually get paid for this stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect the JIVE engineers are probably working on it during working hours. That may be why it's slower than usual at times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't mind, could folks tell us their general geographic area?

I'm in Seattle. Using the Adobe network and Comcast cable. I'm generally seeing good speed (3 second page load). I'll time what it takes to post this and add it as a reply.

Thanks!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't get all the way to "one thousand two" before the message posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm down in Olympia using state servers (I posted average upload/download speeds earlier in this thread). Other than right this very minute, it has been horribly slow. At the moment, it's quite zippy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Cornicello wrote:

I'm in Seattle. Using the Adobe network and Comcast cable. I'm generally seeing good speed (3 second page load). I'll time what it takes to post this and add it as a reply.

Thanks!

John

Before answering your question...

If this were the ONLY problem I wouldn't go off the deep end.  But there is absolutely NO evidence that ANY fixes have been made or are even being contemplated.  No, I don't expect a "tell-all" list but just a little hint now and then would be appreciated.  The current forums are a mess.

40 miles west of Chicago

Comcast cable modem (VERY fast!)

Mac Pro (OS X 10.5.6)

Safari (3.2.1)

This is typically the ONLY site that has horrible response times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in New York State (about 60 miles north of NYC).

All of  this has really become a moot point because I am no longer bothering to login to the Adobe Forums very often (because the experience is so excruciating) and the web site that I am now using instead of the Adobe Forums refreshes pages instantly in less than one second.

Adobe ignored their loyal User's clearly stated requirements for the Forum; adopted this ludicrous format; and appointed a truly incompetent company to provide the software.

You are now reaping the results of those major blunders.

Over … and … OUT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Cornicello wrote:

Northern California, on I-80, some 110 miles NE of San Francisco.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Cornicello wrote:

I'm in Seattle. Using the Adobe network and Comcast cable. I'm generally seeing good speed (3 second page load)

Southern Ontario, Canada. Usually it's quite zippy, today has been the slowest for me with intermittent page load times of >5 seconds. Usually it's less then 2 seconds for screen refresh/redraw from the Internets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, John, hope you are better.

This page finished loading 22 seconds after I pressed the "Reply" button in your message (I have a small watch with a seconds hand in front of me).

I don't know how many times I have posted this information, but if it can in any way help to solve this issue, here it goes again, in its most complete form.

I am in Santiago, the capital of Chile, using a 10 Mbps cable connection, local IP is VTR. Typical download speeds, as measured by PC Pitstop, range between some 4000 and some 7500 kbps. (5079 kbps a few seconds ago). I use two computers: a very old Mac G4/400 with OS X 10.3.9 and Firefox 2.0.0.20, and a less than one year old Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop, IntelCore 2 Duo CPU @ 1.83 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Windows Vista Home Premium, Explorer  7.0.6001. I am also occasionally in Papudo, a small town by the coast some 100 miles north of Santiago, where I have a 1 Mbps DSL line; at present, I only take my laptop there (until the end of this summer -winter in the Northern hemisphere- I also used an even older G4 that I kept there).

In the old forums, with the same equipment and connections, any page finished loading in well less than one second here; I would even venture to judge download times for the forum pages in less than half a second. In Papudo I naturally had longer download times, but they were of about 1 second at most. I coudn't appreciate any difference in download times between Mac and Vista, in either location.

In the new forums, here in Santiago, my fastest download for forum pages has been of 10 seconds. Well, that was my situation until a few minutes ago. I just moved to my laptop to check once more before posting this message, and was pleasantly surprised by the 8 seconds to get into this forum, an a little more than 3 seconds to open a different long thread. And a new window in my Mac took me into this forum in 12 seconds, and into a different long thread in 8 seconds. Hope this small progress is permanent...

Addition: this message took 8 seconds to be posted in my Mac. Much better that at any time since the earthqake until minutes ago.

Message was edited by: Claudio González

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 24, 2009 Apr 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Cornicello wrote on 2009-04-23 18:33 :

Last week an average loading time 20 seconds for fully loading the index

page of a forum (12 seconds before the text appeared). Except on

Thursday, then the times were about double. The location was the Adobe

office in Milan.

This week it is about 6 seconds for fully loading the index page, and

about 8-10 seconds yesterday. Location: Adobe office Stockholm.

There appears to be some improvement, or the network at Adobe Sweden is

just better as the network at Adobe Italy.

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S.D.A. wrote:

I suspect the JIVE engineers are probably working on it during working hours. That may be why it's slower than usual at times.

Do you, by any change sell prime real estate in the middle of a swamp?  Or, perhaps, a choice bridge somewhere? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob_Peters wrote:

S.D.A. wrote:

Do you, by any change sell prime real estate in the middle of a swamp?  Or, perhaps, a choice bridge somewhere? 

No, but I have done sales in another life. But can I ask you a question; Do you doubt that they're working on it ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S.D.A. wrote:

Do you doubt that they're working on it ?

Let's just say that there is absolutely no visible evidence that "they" are working on any problem.  Nothing that I can see is the least bit different from the initial New and Improved forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines