Exit

Sorry, JC—Jive lied!

Guide ,
May 16, 2009 May 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm referencing the Widgets Query in the FAQs of this forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1963810?tstart=0#1963810

Do widgets like "more like this" and "popular discussions" and "top participants" exact any perform...

Reply from Jive Software:

No. In fact these do the exact opposite. If anything, they would be improving performance in the system. These widgets do everything asynchronously so they will simply fire off a request for this data, the system will crunch the numbers then return the result to the page to be displayed. This is all done in real time so even though the widget may still be loading the rest of the page should be displayed and working correctly.

This is categorically NOT true.

The fact is that the longest delay in the forums is when waiting for those results, always at least several seconds, during which the whole browser is unusable as the satus bar reads "waiting for stats.adobe.com" and/or "transferring data from stats.adobe.com".  Sometimes the wait can be so long as to trigger a connection timeout, on other occasions it just hangs there indefinitely until I force quit the browser (indistinctly Firefox, Safari, iCab, etc.).  The page is viewable but not scrollable during the delay.

That response from Jive can only stem from outright bad faith or boundless incompetence and ignorance.  

(Insert Gandhi quote here for the edification of Jive staff.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 18, 2009 May 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SeaMonkeypicture001.jpg

They also have a similar debuging feature in Mozilla Products (SeaMonkey /FireFox)

Notice the error console, Java console DOM inspector, Javascript Debugger. I also have Stylish as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 19, 2009 May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"No. In fact these do the exact opposite. If anything, they would be improving performance in the system."

Yeah, this is a dishonest response. In practice I'm sure not confident that they have any idea what they're doing with their fancy "optimizations"--if they worked we wouldn't be complaining about speed in this "modern system".  And in theory it's bull too.  Actually, one of the most annoying things I find about these forums is that it tries to "partially" load stuff but you can't actually interact with it until it's finished loading.

But really, this is a shortsighted view that only looks at the immediate effect on one user. What about the aggregate effect when multiple users are making queries to the server? Users slow down other users, so even if they don't have to wait any extra time for additional data like this, it still puts additional load on the database and/or server as a whole.  It doesn't matter that they're simultaneously executed requests once you put multiple users into the equation!

Of course having these features negatively impacts overall performance, saying otherwise defies common sense.  If they're willing to challenge common sense like this, it just proves that they're better salesmen than developers.  They should run for political office...

Man--we got Jived again! This is all Jived up...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stats.adobe.com has nothing to do with Jive. Those are things from adobe.com. Nothing to do with the widgets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

stats.adobe.com has nothing to do with Jive. Those are things from adobe.com. Nothing to do with the widgets.

Oh, I wasn't talking about that aspect. I was responding to their claim that their "features" quoted in the OP actually improve performance instead of slowing it. 

I'm actually not seeing any obvious slowness from stats.adobe.com, but it could just be the browser I'm using (Chrome).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

adobe-admin wrote:

Oh, I wasn't talking about that aspect. I was responding to their claim that their "features" quoted in the OP actually improve performance instead of slowing it. 

The response was to another post, not to yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines